January Recruiting Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

January Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Duncan had an outstanding college career but his team never got past the sweet 16.
One scout has called Toomey the next EDD. Hope she stays in Storrs longer. ;)
It is 2022, can we be a little bit more considerate of these great female basketball players by comparing them to some other great female basketball players.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But you disagreed with him. That's very insulting. You done good though. At least you got him down from "may be player of the year" to "may not start".
Yea. I'm just trying to nip this in the bud because I can already see where this is heading. Betts becomes the new Boston and we get to spend the next 5 years hearing how Geno screwed up by not getting Betts.
Can we not talk about a Stanford-bound player in a UConn recruiting thread?
works-for-me-shrug.gif

Reaction Score
Scouts are calling Betts the "Tim Duncan of Women's Basketball" high praise.
I think I’ll withhold judgement on Betts until after she plays a few college games! Not surprising that a 6’7” player that moves well should be a dominant player in high school. If she maintains that dominance in college then Tara really has something.

As for Boston, she is a very good post but imo still has not reached the “generational” level. I believe she is very good but not (yet) great. She is playing in a very depressed post market. As far as I can see, she has no truly dominant player to be compared to. Cunane, Brink, ONO, are all clearly a step or two below her, making her the preeminent post in the game yet she rarely performs to that standard. I think she’s got the physical ability but have doubts about how much she wants it.
All too often she appears to play only as well as she needs to, rather than showcasing the dominant play she appears to be capable of.

Note to SC fans; I have great respect for her but I just think she should/could be a lot better than what she has shown so far. Let’s face it, 14 and 10 from the best post in the country are not mind blowing numbers. Of course, to her credit, she has raised that to 17 and 10 so far this season and seems to be in better shape as well.she has also raised her three point percentage to a respectable 36%. If she maintains this trajectory, she may well become for real what many writers anointed her (imo) prematurely; a generational talent.
With USA basketball last year Betts was the best player on that team and a year younger than almost everyone else. It wasn't even close. She will be an all american next year. Bank on it. I think a better paradigm for her would be the Lew Alcindor of women's basketball or maybe Bill Walton ( Their college names ). At 6'7" she's basically taller than almost everyone and she is very skilled. She's better than Boston was at the same age in my opinion. She led the world in field goal percentage by .40 and she was playing with Azzi, Caitlan Clark, Citron...etc. She's a huge problem.
Sure, Tim Duncan, the greatest power forward in NBA history isn’t good enough so let’s compare her to the greatest center (many say player) Kareem and the greatest passing big man in the history of (yep, you guessed it) the NBA! As for your comparison to Boston, all I can say is, she would have to be wayyyy better than her to warrant any kind of comparison to all-time NBA greats! This is ludicrous! She hasn’t played a minute in college yet!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
greatest center (many say player) Kareem and the greatest passing big man in the history of (yep, you guessed it) the NBA

Well hold on there, Pard'ner. If you would be so kind to allow me to take this thread off line one more time. I do believe the greatest center (statistically) is the guy who could average 50 points per game and the greatest passing big man would have to be the guy who averaged 20 assists per game for a whole season. And yup, they are the same guy.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I actually think Edwards is equally as likely to go to Stanford. She has visited recent, was offered and seems excited about it. She also has been very vocal about how important academics are for her. So, that may make her lean more toward Stanford if that does play a major role in her decision.
If I recall correctly, Edwards has a very high GPA. She seems like a POI for the Cardinal.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Husky: I assume you are referring to Wilt? I know he did average 50 points per game one year...but averaging 20 assists per game for a whole season???

Got proof?

Without doing the research I am guessing that no player...named Wilt or anything else...averaged 20 per game for a season. Wilt did lead the league in assists one year...I believe when he went to the Lakers and almost intentionally focused on passing to prove he could do something other than score...that motivation plus some great shooting teammates helped him achieve that.

Reaction Score
Well hold on there, Pard'ner. If you would be so kind to allow me to take this thread off line one more time. I do believe the greatest center (statistically) is the guy who could average 50 points per game and the greatest passing big man would have to be the guy who averaged 20 assists per game for a whole season. And yup, they are the same guy.
What big man averaged 20 assists a game? John Stockton a
Husky: I assume you are referring to Wilt? I know he did average 50 points per game one year...but averaging 20 assists per game for a whole season???

Got proof?

Without doing the research I am guessing that no player...named Wilt or anything else...averaged 20 per game for a season. Wilt did lead the league in assists one year...I believe when he went to the Lakers and almost intentionally focused on passing to prove he could do something other than score...that motivation plus some great shooting teammates helped him achieve that.
The record for assists averaged in a season is John Stockton a guard with 14.5 in 1989-90.

Reaction Score
:eek:My apologies for "insulting" your opinion by presenting easily verifiable facts.
i-hate-it-when-that-happens-i-hate-it-when.gif
Yeah like saying Amari had a higher field goal percentage but not mentioning that she played an average of 6.7 minutes a game. Verifiable facts but IRRELEVANT, and STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFICANT facts. Similar to your early assessment of Caroline, you can get it wrong. My personal assessment is that she's a generational talent and as she is the #1 recruit this year apparently a lot of other people think she is a top talent as well. Amari had a total of 9 field goal attempts in 6 games. 1.5 field goal ATTEMPTS per game. Keep sending the relevant data Coco.

Reaction Score
But you disagreed with him. That's very insulting. You done good though. At least you got him down from "may be player of the year" to "may not start".

I try to keep things at least respectful but I will respond if necessary. The very same person who was one of the biggest detractors for Caroline just a month ago is now just as certain she has it right with Betts. We will see won't we. Of course I could be wrong. I just saw a 6'7" girl completely dominate international basketball at a year under many of the other players. There was no comparison between Amari and Betts last year although I've seen marked improvement with Amari this year as she appears to be a better shape. I didn't see anyone in the same ballpark as Betts although I was impressed with Citron as well.

Reaction Score
I don't know about "equally" but Stanford is definitely a real player in the game. That gal loves her academics but she loves her hometown Gamecocks, Dawn and family too.

Dawn has had most of the SE to herself for a few years as far as other elite wbb programs. Now she is competing for the "stay near home" players with Duke, UNC and soon Vandi. Those players are going to start hearing about "the value of a Duke or Vandi degree".
All UConn can really offer is their brand. And yet they come.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Keep sending the relevant data Coco.
No doubt:
1) Resend: You need to add a zero in front of your decimal point as in "She led the world in FG% by .04 not the .40 which you wrote.
2) Lauren Betts started 4 of the 7 games during this tournament.
3) There were 5 US players that took more shots during this tournament than Betts did.
4) There were 7 US players that averaged more minutes than Betts did.

As previously stated Betts is going to be a very good player for Stanford but she is not this world beater or POY candidate you are so desperately projecting.

Reaction Score
We had 3 centers and in order to play them someone had to sit right? We dominated most games. Playing time is just one component. We didn't need to play Betts very much. We put her in and she dominated play. Betts led the world tournament in rebounds per minute among the statistically relevant leaders. 9.6 rebounds per game in a little over 16 minutes per game. She was 3rd in rebounds overall even with far less PT than any of the other leaders. She led the world in blocks per 40 minutes and was 2nd overall ( just one less than the leader ) again with only 16 minutes PT.

Reaction Score
:eek: Betts will likely not even start for Stanford next year much less be an AA. That is an awfully tall paradigm you are putting forward. BTW 1) Kareem and Bill were not eligible as freshman players 2) If you are searching for a tall female basketball players to compare Betts to there was also former #1 Mercedes Russel 3) Betts DID NOT lead U19 team in FG% nor was she second-Amari DeBerry was-perhaps you have heard of her. 4) Bill Walton still goes by Bill Walton -I think 5) You need to add a zero in front of your decimal point as in "She led the world in FG% by .04..... 6). U19 version of Boston can operate more than 6 feet from the basket U19 Betts did not . Betts is going to be a very good players, she is hardly a "huge problem".
oh Betts is definitely going to start

Reaction Score
We had 3 centers and in order to play them someone had to sit right? We dominated most games. Playing time is just one component. We didn't need to play Betts very much. We put her in and she dominated play. Betts led the world tournament in rebounds per minute among the statistically relevant leaders. 9.6 rebounds per game in a little over 16 minutes per game. She was 3rd in rebounds overall even with far less PT than any of the other leaders. She led the world in blocks per 40 minutes and was 2nd overall ( just one less than the leader ) again with only 16 minutes PT.
I watched the USA games and she was dominant. But 6'7" is a bigger advantage for a HS age player than a college level. Everyone is bigger and also a lot lot stronger.
I expect Betts to be great and my only regret about her going to the Trees is that Tara don't play UConn so I can't see her play live.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Personally, Ice Brady is miles better just from watching game tape than Betts imo maybe I’m bias lol
Obviously this is just my opinion so FWIW...

I have seen Ice play 3 times. IMHO she is a slightly shorter version of A'ja Wilson at a similar age, but with a much better jumper (ie. can also knock down the 3). Ice is about 6'4" now. She's a solid and strong body. Obviously could use some conditioning, but what HS player couldn't? (And BTW I have seen Breeya Cunningham play twice - once against Ice when Breeya was a freshman and she held her own. Both were really good - Ice was a sophomore - and both battled hard). Ice was better, but only slightly.

Betts is much more slender, a fair bit taller, and has a longer reach. IMHO Ice is more a natural 4 and Betts a natural 5. To compare the 2 is sort of like comparing Stewie with Griner. Both are great. Stewie (and Ice) can "play" the 5, but they are more suited to be able to roam and not be planted in the post.

I watched Betts play 6 full games for Team USA (when I also got my first real look at Azzi). Betts was one of the youngest on the team, but one of the best and most impactful at what she did. She has the potential to have a Griner-like college career. IMHO.

But to say Ice is miles better is wrong, again IMHO. It's like saying Stewie is miles better than Griner. Different games, different strengths and weaknesses, different positions. Just my $.02. Now back to the UCONN recruiting topics LOL...

Reaction Score
I think I’ll withhold judgement on Betts until after she plays a few college games! Not surprising that a 6’7” player that moves well should be a dominant player in high school. If she maintains that dominance in college then Tara really has something.

As for Boston, she is a very good post but imo still has not reached the “generational” level. I believe she is very good but not (yet) great. She is playing in a very depressed post market. As far as I can see, she has no truly dominant player to be compared to. Cunane, Brink, ONO, are all clearly a step or two below her, making her the preeminent post in the game yet she rarely performs to that standard. I think she’s got the physical ability but have doubts about how much she wants it.
All too often she appears to play only as well as she needs to, rather than showcasing the dominant play she appears to be capable of.

Note to SC fans; I have great respect for her but I just think she should/could be a lot better than what she has shown so far. Let’s face it, 14 and 10 from the best post in the country are not mind blowing numbers. Of course, to her credit, she has raised that to 17 and 10 so far this season and seems to be in better shape as well.she has also raised her three point percentage to a respectable 36%. If she maintains this trajectory, she may well become for real what many writers anointed her (imo) prematurely; a generational talent.

Sure, Tim Duncan, the greatest power forward in NBA history isn’t good enough so let’s compare her to the greatest center (many say player) Kareem and the greatest passing big man in the history of (yep, you guessed it) the NBA! As for your comparison to Boston, all I can say is, she would have to be wayyyy better than her to warrant any kind of comparison to all-time NBA greats! This is ludicrous! She hasn’t played a minute in college yet!
whether you call her generational or not, if UConn had Boston for the past few years, they'd most likely have to make room for several more NC trophies on Geno's shelf.....

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
How old are the people here who are looking at kids who won’t hit college for another 4-5 years? At my age I’m happy if I make it to the next game and get to see if Fudd will play, and COVID ain’t make even that date all that certain.

Reaction Score
Interesting data point in that world tournament. Betts had 3 personal fouls in 6 games and 11 blocks in that time. How do you have 1/2 a foul per game and be 3rd in rebounds and 2nd in blocked shots in the 7 game tournament? 1st in both per minute played for realistic sample sizes. Cameron Brink would have had 25 fouls in that sample size. This wasn't normal HS play. These were the top players in the world for her age.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I stand severely corrected. Although He did lead the league in total assists in 1968 with 702. And though I don't know what memory clog caused me to say 20. Thank you all for your corrections. Although I still maintain that, while I preferred Russell, Chamberlain is the best big center of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom