January Recruiting Thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

January Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Oregon is a pretty campus. It's appealing in many ways. Academically not so much. They accepted EVERYONE as of just a few years ago. It reminds me of being recruited in high school where 3-4 friends of mine visited a school with me and the coach took us to the admissions department and just said "accept these guys will you" to the admissions director. The admissions guy looked ruffled but he grudgingly said ok. Then the coach turned to each of us and asked us all if we would join him. He started at the other end of the line but wanted me as I was the only all conference guy. Every one of them said yes but I said no. You should have seen the look on his face as he just got some guys who didn't even start on our high school team. Later on they played for his team but they stunk. Girls teacher college. 6-1 girl to guy ratio. It was appealing but not enough.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1/15

Britt Prince: 23 points, 5 assists, 5 steals

Kennedy Smith: 18 points

Judea Watkins: 24 points

MacKenly Randolph: 19 points

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Great stuff. More P & J!!

And she claims to be 6-4, reinforcing previous recent reports. Yahoo. Maybe she'll grow still more in the next 12-18 months.
Who better to serve up the best tasting PB&J than Paige and Azzi. I think that was a sly hint. :)

Reaction Score
1/17

Kate Koval ('24): 22 points, 9 rebounds, 6 blocks
I'm getting real interested in this kid. I've heard she's mobile and kind of knows what she's doing. I hope some video starts to surface.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
New quotes from Geno regarding Ice Brady's performance he witnessed last week, this time from Carl Adamec:

On Friday, it was Auriemma who took the opportunity to watch Brady, a 6-foot-2 senior forward from San Diego ranked No. 5 by ESPN in the recruiting class.

"They ran an out-of-bounds play for her and she knocked down a three," Auriemma said. "That's unusual for a kid her size. That's a great thing. She's so comfortable shooting it. She is left-handed, and Jamelle (assistant coach Elliott) thinks that's an added skill, because it takes the other guy awhile to get used to.

Reaction Score
Hopefully you noticed the steady regression of Amari's rankings where she went from an "elite" prospect to "coveted"to P5 prospects from HS Freshman from 2016 to 2019. Amari is a project in the sense that she will need to elevate her game to get back to elite status.
And hopefully you will realize that the biggest young teens playing against unquantified competition and brandishing inflated statistics doesn’t mean diddily; which renders the rating agencies and these recruiting threads useless.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
And hopefully you will realize that the biggest young teens playing against unquantified competition and brandishing inflated statistics doesn’t mean diddily; which renders the rating agencies and these recruiting threads useless.

The recruit thread is useless?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yet here you are taking time out of your busy life to comment on a "useless" thread. At least you are not beating that dead horse anymore about players needing to get more playing time.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
New quotes from Geno regarding Ice Brady's performance he witnessed last week, this time from Carl Adamec:

On Friday, it was Auriemma who took the opportunity to watch Brady, a 6-foot-2 senior forward from San Diego ranked No. 5 by ESPN in the recruiting class.

"They ran an out-of-bounds play for her and she knocked down a three," Auriemma said. "That's unusual for a kid her size. That's a great thing. She's so comfortable shooting it. She is left-handed, and Jamelle (assistant coach Elliott) thinks that's an added skill, because it takes the other guy awhile to get used to.
Did Brady get shorter?

Reaction Score
I'm too lazy to do the work

Determine the College All Americans for the past 4 years.

Determine how many of the All Americans were NOT ranked in a top 25 during by a at least two "rating agencies" their year of commitments.

Yes, misses occur but I would assert that the percentage is negligible.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1/18

Tajianna Avant-Roberts: 20 points

Breya Cunningham: 12 points

Kennedy Smith: 21 points, 4 blocks, 4 steals

Reaction Score
Yet here you are taking time out of your busy life to comment on a "useless" thread. At least you are not beating that dead horse anymore about players needing to get more playing time.
I wonder if Amari has Saylor on speed dial.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm too lazy to do the work
Determine the College All Americans for the past 4 years.
Determine how many of the All Americans were NOT ranked in a top 25 during by a at least two "rating agencies" their year of commitments.
Yes, misses occur but I would assert that the percentage is negligible.
The answer using WBCA AAs and correlating using ESPN rankings only is 35 % or (14 of 40. ) While this is higher than I though you point is well taken "misses occur" and I would add many kids out perform their initial rankings.

1642543762243.png

Reaction Score
The answer using WBCA AAs and correlating using ESPN rankings only is 35 % or (14 of 40. ) While this is higher than I though you point is well taken "misses occur" and I would add many kids out perform their initial rankings.

View attachment 72508
Thanks. And here’s another question. How many scholarships are given out each year? Let’s say 1000 in D-1. So a 100 list is basically 10% of an annual class.

You research shows that only ONE AA player got missed as a top 100 (ten percent) prospect. Congrats to Bridget Carleton for beating the odds! I would have guessed more than one.

Great graphic chart. 20 out of the 40 All Americans were ranked in the top ten. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks. And here’s another question. How many scholarships are given out each year? Let’s say 1000 in D-1. So a 100 list is basically 10% of an annual class.

You research shows that only ONE AA player got missed as a top 100 (ten percent) prospect. Congrats to Bridget Carleton for beating the odds! I would have guessed more than one.

Great graphic chart. 20 out of the 40 All Americans were ranked in the top ten. Thanks.
well, i would argue that its better than that. Bridget Carleton (Canada), and some of the others were ranked low because they were not U.S. players

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks. And here’s another question. How many scholarships are given out each year? Let’s say 1000 in D-1. So a 100 list is basically 10% of an annual class. You research shows that only ONE AA player got missed as a top 100 (ten percent) prospect. Congrats to Bridget Carleton for beating the odds! I would have guessed more than one
You estimate of 1000 D1 scholarships yearly is a pretty good estimate. There are 350 Division I schools, if you assume an average roster size of 12 spread across 4 different classes you are pretty close to (350 X 12)/4=1050.
In fairness I probably need to do a little more research on Carleton. She is Canadian and I can't find where ESPN had her ranked. That is not unusual for ESPN, don't believe Nika Muhl was ever ranked by them either yet they took the time to rank Sabally.

Reaction Score

I love the way she came out to meet the pass versus waiting with her butt out and the defender reaches out over her back to break up the entry pass on the last play of the clip. It happens a lot to Uconn bigs where the defender breaks up the play. It is so simple why isn't it taught in college. She will be in the rotation next year. None of our bigs can shoot as well as her. I think that is why Geno is excited to have her. Caroline, Azzi Brady, Paige, and Edwards.

Reaction Score
It’s worth noting that the best recruiting rankings (as far as All American prediction) is 1-14. Ranks 15-25 are much weaker as a predictor than I had expected.

Reaction Score
I love the way she came out to meet the pass versus waiting with her butt out and the defender reaches out over her back to break up the entry pass on the last play of the clip. It happens a lot to Uconn bigs where the defender breaks up the play. It is so simple why isn't it taught in college. She will be in the rotation next year. None of our bigs can shoot as well as her. I think that is why Geno is excited to have her. Caroline, Azzi Brady, Paige, and Edwards.
Keep an eye on Patterson. She could do as much or more next season as Edwards has done this year. More athletic, quicker, better hands and can get off the floor much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom