If Gilbert is out for the year again... | Page 8 | The Boneyard

If Gilbert is out for the year again...

Reaction Score
If he plays, I will lose a lot of respect for our coaches and medical staff. I take post game press conferences with a grain of salt - but I did not think KO framed the decision right.

It’s not just if Gilbert wants to play - he does - it’s having an adult in the room to provide some wisdom and long term thinking an 18 year old doesn’t possess.

Keep in mind he not only got injuried 3 games into last season but also again this summer, which prompted the panic around obtaining a better brace. Four games into this season he reinjuried the shoulder. It’s up to the coaches to talk to him about what a great coach he could become etc. I believe someone not on the staff tried to do that yesterday. Saying it’s up to him is avoiding responsibility.
Do you really think he wasn’t presented honestly with all the options? I have a lot of respect for our medical staff and KO. I’m sure AG was given all the pros and cons. Ultimately it’s his decision. But we still don’t know what that decision is or even what the medical evaluation is so maybe we can refrain from assuming anything until an announcement is made. Can we agree on that and get back to letting SJ comment in every thread about how we missed on MAL and TW

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
If he plays, I will lose a lot of respect for our coaches and medical staff. I take post game press conferences with a grain of salt - but I did not think KO framed the decision right.

It’s not just if Gilbert wants to play - he does - it’s having an adult in the room to provide some wisdom and long term thinking an 18 year old doesn’t possess.

Keep in mind he not only got injuried 3 games into last season but also again this summer, which prompted the panic around obtaining a better brace. Four games into this season he reinjuried the shoulder. It’s up to the coaches to talk to him about what a great coach he could become etc. I believe someone not on the staff tried to do that yesterday. Saying it’s up to him is avoiding responsibility.

Cmon chief get real he has had many well informed opinions and has listened to them all and made a decision. If the doctors say he can play and his family says it’s ok and he says he wants to play, the coaches aren’t gunna tell him no?

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score

The kids not gonna just give up something he's done all his life that easy. It's a shoulder. It's not life threatening and not gonna cripple him. To be honest , football players play through entire seasons with this
Injury. I remember guys having shoulders popped back in during halftime. Unfortunately it's an injury that doesn't fit basketball at all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought he had pain in the shoulder but that it is staying in place. If he has pain due to scar tissue or muscle pain and they can keep him comfortable with treatment, then no harm in playing. It really comes down to whether or not he’s doing damage by playing with pain.

Reaction Score
This is sounding like the scar tissue that was mention yesterday. The shoulder is stable and the surgery from last year worked. The scar tissue post op is not uncommon and is more pronounced after exertion. What it feels like now is bursitis. The bursitis can explain why some of his open shots were way off. I think surgery was offered and Dr Andrews reviewed the MRI. The surgery is not career threatening. It is likely arthroscopic surgery to scrap the scar tissues and improve mobility in his shoulder. The recovery time from that is not a whole yr but rather a few months at most. Never the less, his season is essentially over if that is done. The surgery will not even be considered except for high level athletes since it can make a difference in shooting, rebounding and passing. Normal progression is NSAIDS and physical therapy. Again, this is base on speculation from the data that I got from this board. I have no inside info on his medical condition

C

Chief00

Cmon chief get real he has had many well informed opinions and has listened to them all and made a decision. If the doctors say he can play and his family says it’s ok and he says he wants to play, the coaches aren’t gunna tell him no?

The other but not deciding aspect is Gilbert really needs to work on his shot and under these circumstances really can’t do that in a meaningful way. Without an improved shot there will be more risky drives down the lane.
Sometimes you dudes just need to trust in Chief - without further remediation this is going to be a continuous problem.

Reaction Score
The other but not deciding aspect is Gilbert really needs to work on his shot and under these circumstances really can’t do that in a meaningful way. Without an improved shot there will be more risky drives down the lane.
Sometimes you dudes just need to trust in Chief - without further remediation this is going to be a continuous problem this season and it does do long term damage under these conditions. Trust me.
agree with you on needing to work on his shot and the bursitis issue is limiting his shot and form. The issue is not playing for 2 yrs and the rust. Remember, as long as his shoulder is stable. We can do the surgery in March or hopefully April and he can recover with PT in the summer. He will be good to go in the fall. BTW, I thank Calhoun for taking the St Joes job when he was sitting with his brother or uncle watching the Colgate game

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Well he's not getting another redshirt year, so if he does the surgery now his season is over. If it takes 3-4 months to recover, it literally makes zero sense to do it now vs. holding off to see if they can make him comfortable and he can contribute even in a limited role. It's like telling a place that sells Christmas trees that they need to shut down for 3 months, they can either do it right now in December, or hold off until April....which one do you think they'll pick?

While Chief thinks he knows best, my personal experience has taught me not to ever trust anyone who refers to themselves in the third person.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

We don't know this, but it could be one of those deals where the damage he could do by reinjuring whilst playing currently won't make his overall prognosis any worse. So maybe he still has to get surgery at some point anyway, but if he can stand the pain, playing won't lead to worse overall outcomes.

I'm not saying this is the situation. Just that we don't have all the info at this point.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Well he's not getting another redshirt year, so if he does the surgery now his season is over. If it takes 3-4 months to recover, it literally makes zero sense to do it now vs. holding off to see if they can make him comfortable and he can contribute even in a limited role. It's like telling a place that sells Christmas trees that they need to shut down for 3 months, they can either do it right now in December, or hold off until April....which one do you think they'll pick?

While Chief thinks he knows best, my personal experience has taught me not to ever trust anyone who refers to themselves in the third person.

He can get another medical red shirt. It's rare, but it's happened iirc. No guarantee tho.

pj

Reaction Score
This is sounding like the scar tissue that was mention yesterday. The shoulder is stable and the surgery from last year worked. The scar tissue post op is not uncommon and is more pronounced after exertion. What it feels like now is bursitis. The bursitis can explain why some of his open shots were way off. I think surgery was offered and Dr Andrews reviewed the MRI. The surgery is not career threatening. It is likely arthroscopic surgery to scrap the scar tissues and improve mobility in his shoulder. The recovery time from that is not a whole yr but rather a few months at most. Never the less, his season is essentially over if that is done. The surgery will not even be considered except for high level athletes since it can make a difference in shooting, rebounding and passing. Normal progression is NSAIDS and physical therapy. Again, this is base on speculation from the data that I got from this board. I have no inside info on his medical condition

Bursitis can be disabling so I wouldn't expect him to play well as long as it's active. But a cortisone shot can do wonders. If it's scar tissue, pain, and inflammation, but no shoulder instability, they should be able to manage it. He won't be 100% but I'd be surprised if he didn't put off the surgery for 4 months and try to play.

Reaction Score
He has not play well. You could see that his open jumpers sometimes are way off. The issue is that he can have good or bad day and the sx can resolved without surgery. Lets hope that is the case. BTW, Rodney had similar surgery in late December 2013, he did not practice again till May/June. He resume playing in the summer leagues in July

Reaction Score
He was not wrong on Diallo. He knew what the coaches knew. Could they have dialed back what they tell him? Certainly, but at that point, he was very much in the know.

He was 100% wrong on Diallo. I guess you and reality aren't good friends.

Reaction Score
The kids not gonna just give up something he's done all his life that easy. It's a shoulder. It's not life threatening and not gonna cripple him. To be honest , football players play through entire seasons with this
Injury. I remember guys having shoulders popped back in during halftime. Unfortunately it's an injury that doesn't fit basketball at all.
This reminded me of Lawrence Taylor on Monday Night Football against the Saints. The guys shoulder and pectoral was torn, they had to put a special harness on it and he played like a warrior. If anyone comes away from this video not thinking he was the greatest LB of all time, I don't know what to tell you. (Gotta hit the watch it on youtube link)

Reaction Score
I believe we get an updated on this tomorrow? I think beat reporters talk to the players and coach the day before the game so hopefully we can get a better idea of what is actually happening.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I believe we get an updated on this tomorrow? I think beat reporters talk to the players and coach the day before the game so hopefully we can get a better idea of what is actually happening.

Right now it’s just madness lmao

Reaction Score
He can get another medical red shirt. It's rare, but it's happened iirc. No guarantee tho.

I know its rare but is that only because most kids don't have season injuries twice and if they do most likely, they had hit that magic number of games played where no one can take a redshirt or does the NCAA not like to grant them a 2nd one?

Reaction Score
Right now it’s just madness lmao

Well that's kind of what I'm getting at. Whatever you believe right now, I think we will get more info tomorrow to better understand where things stand.

Reaction Score
Alteriques loss is huge. He gets to the basket so easy, he and Adams would drive teams crazy trying to guard them and would open things up for everyone else. It's a huge impact on any expectations when you lose a kid that good and talented. I hope he can heal at some point but if not, wish him the best in his academics and hope his education would point him in the direction of basketball because he seems to love the game. Not predicting the end of his career, just not putting too much hope into him ever being what he expected to be for us.

As far as MAL, yeah he's probably going to be a very nice player and already is pretty good. Good sized kid, can get to the rim, kind of Early Kelly-ish with his creativity so those are good things. But for now Antoine is the better player for us, this year alone, I get the future blah blah blah but AA has won us a couple games remember. If he's not here there's a solid chance we're 4-4 and one of these BYers may have assassinated KO by now. MAL has 15 assists and 13TO's, not great. He can't shoot a lick, a mason. He missed 3 crucial FT's yesterday at URI in the loss and he doesn't look good there at all. A .455% at the FT line for your PG can impact you in a very negative way down the stretch of a game so if that doesn't improve we would have had a PG who we would need to take out the last 3 minutes of every close game? Not knocking the kid or saying glad we don't have him, just pointing out to all of those that think he would be the answer this year, well he wouldn't. Anderson is here because he's not and I'm glad we have him after all his lockdown D on Seaborn in the 2nd half was crucial.

Can someone, anyone if you friggin naysayers tell me where and when you read or received from your SOURCES that he won’t be back for Syracuse or the game after or after or at all??? I haven’t seen it anywhere but from the usual big mouths! If it’s true show me if not SHETTTTT UP!!

Reaction Score
Knowing zero about his situation if surgery was being considered but not urgently necessary there might not be any harm in backing off for more therapy and trying it out in practice in a couple of weeks. If he has a satisfactory stable range of motion and they can get the pain lowered in a couple of weeks then maybe go there. His overall health long term is most important. Gotta be really frustrating for such a talented athlete but it's early in the season and it appears he has options.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom