If Gilbert is out for the year again... | Page 7 | The Boneyard

If Gilbert is out for the year again...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He ended up at LSU because the Duke and Kentucky offers never came through. It says a lot that his interest in Uconn disappeared. Not getting a point guard this class was another huge miss.
You are insufferably miserable.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He ended up at LSU because the Duke and Kentucky offers never came through. It says a lot that his interest in Uconn disappeared. Not getting a point guard this class was another huge miss.

Outside of possibly when he was really young, it never seemed to me to be that strong. I always felt he kept UCONN in there for the 'brand bump', hoping to attract the big fish. jmo tho

Reaction Score
Outside of possibly when he was really young, it never seemed to me to be that strong. I always felt he kept UCONN in there for the 'brand bump', hoping to attract the big fish. jmo tho
The brand bump? Kid would have been by far our best recruit.

pj

Reaction Score
The brand bump? Kid would have been by far our best recruit.

And we would have been his biggest brand school. Which is saying something.

Reaction Score
And we would have been his biggest brand school. Which is saying something.
Again he waited on Duke and Kentucky, his options dried up.

pj

Reaction Score
UConn Fall 2016 is a strange comparable to UConn Fall 2017. You can't lose Diarra, Gilbert, Larrier (as we now have seen each at their best play over minutes) ... and have anything but a shaken team. Lacking consistency through 8-10 games given that sequence is pretty obvious; and thus, we eventually played well until we sank year end. I have often opined on Brimah and Purvis. Good Huskies. WE have to be more optimistic with this current crew (which includes the autopsy on the departure of Jackson, Enoch, Durham): more usable parts; more hope for progressive play from Polley, Larrier, Carlton, Cobb, Whaley (and even Vital) than I can (20/20 hindsight) remember for the departed. I do have hope that we can find a strike zone for 8 guys to play like a good Team.

I think UConn 2017-18 will be more fun for fans because the team chemistry may be better and we'll see players and the team develop, which we didn't see in 2016-17. But if we've lost Alterique, it's hard to see the results being better. Last year we were #96 in Kenpom and since losing Alterique we've already dropped from #65 to #86 in Kenpom and are playing even with teams like #138 Monmouth. I like Polley, Larrier, Carlton, Cobb, and Whaley as prospects, but they are all first and second year college players and collectively are no improvement on seniors Purvis, Brimah, Facey. So their development will give us hope for the future, and may help us improve from what is essentially a #140 team in the country at this moment to a #90 or so team in March. But don't bet on a substantially better season record than last year. The payoff from developing these young kids will be next year, or in 2019-20.

My best hope for this year would be a situation like 1988 where the team gels over the season, gets a winning record and into the NIT, then wins the tourney, restoring some excitement to the program and preparing the young guys for an exciting NCAA run two years later once quality new recruits come on board.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very early for rankings. Look at cincy. They are number 11 in kenpom. They have played one of the easiest schedules in the country and got blown out against the only good team they played. Kenpom is much better than rpi but don't look until January.

That being said, loss of AG is huge and will be tough to overcome.

Reaction Score
Again he waited on Duke and Kentucky, his options dried up.

Your timeline is off. He committed to Georgetown and decommitted after the season. Prior to that, UConn prioritized MAL. Also, he had lots of offers he was considering, despite the news on this board that he was down to UConn and one other school. That was never the case, despite what insiders were saying.

Reaction Score
Your timeline is off. He committed to Georgetown and decommitted after the season. Prior to that, UConn prioritized MAL. Also, he had lots of offers he was considering, despite the news on this board that he was down to UConn and one other school. That was never the case, despite what insiders were saying.
He committed to Georgetown, no way!!!

Watch "Dumb and Dumber We Landed on the Moon!" on YouTube

Reaction Score
He committed to Georgetown, no way!!!

Watch "Dumb and Dumber We Landed on the Moon!" on YouTube

You have him waiting for Duke and Kentucky offers when that ship had sailed long before because of his Georgetown commitment! Quade Green committed to Kentucky a month after Waters committed to Georgetown. Presumably, in your scenario, Waters waits for Kentucky to find their PG and THEN commits to Georgetown. UK only took one PG.

Reaction Score
You have him waiting for Duke and Kentucky offers when that ship had sailed long before because of his Georgetown commitment! Quade Green committed to Kentucky a month after Waters committed to Georgetown. Presumably, in your scenario, Waters waits for Kentucky to find their PG and THEN commits to Georgetown. UK only took one PG.
635850352863281895-650305566_mscott.jpg

Reaction Score
What are you trying to say about Kentucky and Duke and how is it relevant to UConn at all?
Waters wanted Duke or UK, he knew they were getting Duval and Green. It doesn't speak well to the state of our program that a New Haven kid wouldn't come here. It's okay if a kid picks Duke or UK over his state school, when a CT. kid picks a football school in the deep South it's not. Not getting MAL or Waters this year was a major whiff and sets the program back.

Reaction Score
Waters wanted Duke or UK, he knew they were getting Duval and Green. It doesn't speak well to the state of our program that a New Haven kid wouldn't come here. It's okay if a kid picks Duke or UK over his state school, when a CT. kid picks a football school in the deep South it's not. Not getting MAL or Waters this year was a major whiff and sets the program back.

Not getting MAL sets us back, and no one said otherwise. I'm sure Ollie feels the same way. But Waters was never as serious about UConn as some insiders claimed, and he chose Georgetown when UConn could have prioritized him. UConn wanted MAL more. I happened to hear the inside scoop long after that had happened, so I don't know what his mindset was in the summer before his senior year, but I can tell you that by April the ship had already sailed. He wasn't coming to UConn after MAL left because Adams and Gilbert were here.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I sometimes wonder if Ozzie does this on purpose.

Reaction Score
From what I have seen of Oz he is a buffoon who gets bitchslapped regularly on the other site.
I think you're being nice by just calling him a buffoon. Seems to be full of hot air and is usually wrong. He was dead wrong on Diallo and on a couple other recruits he said were locks. I don't listen to a word this guy tweets.

Reaction Score
I think you're being nice by just calling him a buffoon. Seems to be full of hot air and is usually wrong. He was dead wrong on Diallo and on a couple other recruits he said were locks. I don't listen to a word this guy tweets.
He was not wrong on Diallo. He knew what the coaches knew. Could they have dialed back what they tell him? Certainly, but at that point, he was very much in the know.

Reaction Score
He's closer to Ollie than anyone on this board.

C

Chief00

Hold up...

If he plays, I will lose a lot of respect for our coaches and medical staff. I take post game press conferences with a grain of salt - but I did not think KO framed the decision right.

It’s not just if Gilbert wants to play - he does - it’s having an adult in the room to provide some wisdom and long term thinking an 18 year old doesn’t possess.

Keep in mind he not only got injuried 3 games into last season but also again this summer, which prompted the panic around obtaining a better brace. Four games into this season he reinjuried the shoulder. It’s up to the coaches to talk to him about what a great coach he could become etc. I believe someone not on the staff tried to do that yesterday. Saying it’s up to him is avoiding responsibility.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom