If Gilbert is out for the year again... | Page 9 | The Boneyard

If Gilbert is out for the year again...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I know its rare but is that only because most kids don't have season injuries twice and if they do most likely, they had hit that magic number of games played where no one can take a redshirt or does the NCAA not like to grant them a 2nd one?

Pretty much. I think I read there's a dude this year who got a clearinghouse redshirt, and then two medical redshirts on top of that. So it took him 7 years.

Reaction Score

Let's not not have idiot surgeons operating on such sensitive injuries next time.

Also needs to be said, If Gilbert is done, we are about to have another 2017 type season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is it possible to be pre-season FOY in the AAC 3 times?

Wish him luck in all seriousness, kids dying to play and help. Should have been in Dr Andrews hands the first time.

Reaction Score
Let's not not have idiot surgeons operating on such sensitive injuries next time.

All surgeons, engineers, contractors etc say the same thing when asked about another person's work with the advantage of hindsight: "That last idiot did XYZ totally wrong, I would never have done it that way."

Reaction Score
Is it possible to be pre-season FOY in the AAC 3 times?

Wish him luck in all seriousness, kids dying to play and help. Should have been in Dr Andrews hands the first time.

If he has Surgery and is out again IMO I don't see him playing for UConn again and besides he will never be the player we originally thought we were getting.

Reaction Score
Up till the injury he was playing much better, though now we know he’s been hurting. Fingers crossed that it calms down so he can play this year. Losing Gilbert gives us no safety net should anyone else go down and that’s a real possibility as the season progresses. Also calls in to question our roster for the future.

Reaction Score
If he has Surgery and is out again IMO I don't see him playing for UConn again and besides he will never be the player we originally thought we were getting.
There aren't a lot of options on either side. It's a bad look for UConn to push him out of his scholarship. And even recovering from a 3rd surgery he's still worth it. For AG, is he gonna transfer and sit more? It would be tough to move up to another school with the history he has, and the kid just needs to play. It's not ideal for either side, but there is no alternative that is better.

Reaction Score
So Oz just responded to my tweet asking how long? And he said for the season

Oz and UConn are violating federal laws in responding to your tweet. Unless of course Alterique has expressly given Oz permission to tweet about his potential surgery.

Reaction Score
There aren't a lot of options on either side. It's a bad look for UConn to push him out of his scholarship. And even recovering from a 3rd surgery he's still worth it. For AG, is he gonna transfer and sit more? It would be tough to move up to another school with the history he has, and the kid just needs to play. It's not ideal for either side, but there is no alternative that is better.

We most likely losing Adams and def losing Anderson. We have two freshman guards coming in who I don't see helping right away. So if Gilbert gets hurt again which lets face it is a very high probability then we are screwed. I would say next seasons success depends on Gilberts shoulder or a freshman PG.

I know who James Andrews is but its still a third shoulder injury regardless who it is but Gilbert drives hard and will get hit.

Reaction Score
Hoping the staff is camped in front of Bryce Wills house. We need at least one more top 100 guard if we want to be good again, not more patchwork grad transfers.

Reaction Score
Oz and UConn are violating federal laws in responding to your tweet. Unless of course Alterique has expressly given Oz permission to tweet about his potential surgery.
If you're referring to HIPAA that is not correct. The law prevents covered entities from sharing health information. It has no affect on a private individual. Oz is not a covered entity (unless he's AG's healthcare provider) has no requirement to protect it under that law. He could be sued for invasion of privacy I guess. But it's not a crime. If training staff and or team doctors were sharing that information with others (including Oz), depending on who they shared it with and whether AG granted them permission to share it or not, that could be a violation. But they would have to be covered entities. And the department of HHS would investigate it and fine them.

Reaction Score
If you're referring to HIPAA that is not correct. The law prevents covered entities from sharing health information. It has no affect on a private individual. Oz is not a covered entity (unless he's AG's healthcare provider) has no requirement to protect it under that law. He could be sued for invasion of privacy I guess. But it's not a crime. If training staff and or team doctors were sharing that information with others (including Oz), depending on who they shared it with and whether AG granted them permission to share it or not, that could be a violation. But they would have to be covered entities. And the department of HHS would investigate it and fine them.

Yep, there's a reason though that Oz erased his facebook posts. Whomever is talking to Oz is doing the players and the program a disservice.

BUT, I would add that universities are not only responsible for HIPAA but also FERPA, which applies to physician records. Universities have additional legal obligations above and beyond HIPAA.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As Oz and others are speculating, it gives KO another pass for this year.

It's hard for any team to become a cohesive winning unit with your all-American lead PG going down a few games in back-to-back years. This is especially so when you consider the offense that UConn runs.

UConn PGs have historically been an extension of the coach on the floor, and we'd preferably have 2 PGs on the floor at once. It's looking like Adams might have to shoulder the load on his own for back to back years with no backup, and no 2-PG lineups.

I know many will disagree with giving KO mulligans with the injuries. But with all things considered, not having Gilbert in back to back years is just a killer, and you can't have a fair evaluation of anyone as a result. No, it's not a cop-out... UConn isn't a recruiting giant like UK, Duke, etc. that can still compete after losing an all-American PG. Expections need to be tempered another year and we need to recruit 2 PGs next year to compensate.

Anderson is a point guard.

Reaction Score
Maybe Oz is tight with Rique’s trainer...

That could be. But there's a reason he deleted that facebook post.

Also, if I were Alterique, I would not want my medical stuff discussed like this.

Reaction Score
All surgeons, engineers, contractors etc say the same thing when asked about another person's work with the advantage of hindsight: "That last idiot did XYZ totally wrong, I would never have done it that way."
Can't speak to engineers and contractors, but from first-hand experience, surgeons are not likely to throw the prior surgeon under the bus. I'm sure it happens, but not "all" of them do it.

Reaction Score
it's not a HIPPA violation but OZ should delete the post about the idiotic surgeon. Team othopedic surgeons are generally very experienced n what they find inside upon exposing the shoulder could change the surgery immensely. A comment like that will make the athlete lose faith in the UCONN medical n training staff. Rehab is just as important as the surgery itself. Where will Gilbert do the rehab?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom