If Gilbert is out for the year again... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

If Gilbert is out for the year again...

Reaction Score
I think the overall moral of the story is that no matter what, we'd only have 4 guards. A 5th guard was never at play. There was no room.

And to take it one step further, you can not run a guard orientated offense which infers that in some cases you will have 3 guards on the floor without having 5 guards on the roster. I don't care about the specifics re: TW or MAL I just can't understand why we ended up with only 4 guards. Inconceivable !!!!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't care about the specifics re: TW or MAL I just can't understand why we ended up with only 4 guards. Inconceivable !!!!
But how do you expect to understand the situation if you don't care about the specifics that caused it?

I think what you, and many others, mean to say is that you just want results.

Reaction Score
But how do you expect to understand the situation if you don't care about the specifics that caused it?

I think what you, and many others, mean to say is that you just want results.

Of course I want results. And to achieve those results, I expect our staff to fill our roster appropriately and having only 4 guards on the roster, and now maybe only 3 due to the possible season ending injury to AG, is not acceptable. KO runs a guard orientated offense and his strength as a recruiter is supposed to be the guards. Just can't fathom how he would enter the season with only 4 guards and one with a chronic shoulder problem. It can't be lack of ships because there are a couples of guys on the team we could do without. We can beat the specifics re: TW and MAL to death, but we still have only 3 or 4 guards on the roster. That's my issue.

Reaction Score
Time to double down on guard recruiting. If Adams leaves along with Anderson you are down to essentially akinjo as your only ball handler. Have to make plans of life without Gilbert permanently if he is in fact out for year again. Guy has yet to make it to December let along March.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this is legal with NCAA but couldn't the kid be released and then made a team manager with KO paying for his school expenses?
If this is career ending, something could be done to allow him to finish schooling for free. I'm not sure on the logistics of it but it can be done. There's an endowed scholarship that some of the women's managers get. Things like that.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
There is no improvement no matter how hard people try to find it.

Are you thick? No improvement?

Last year we were 4-4 ( and really only 3 actual wins since one was against Chaminade)

This year 6-2.

That’s actually quite easy to find. Troubling you aren’t able to.

Reaction Score
Well we should have one more open scholarship for next year with JA , TL, DO and AA leaving. We fill that with a guard and work on getting KW to transfer as he surely doesn't belong at this level. You recruit another guard for that position so you will have 5 guards for next year with 4 healthy ones.

Reaction Score
Well we should have one more open scholarship for next year with JA , TL, DO and AA leaving. We fill that with a guard and work on getting KW to transfer as he surely doesn't belong at this level. You recruit another guard for that position so you will have 5 guards for next year with 4 healthy ones.

Myreon Jones from Alabama is a guy we should be recruiting heavily, he's blowing up like James Akinjo was except he's blowing up from unheard of to 5 star status.

Devonaire Doutrive is a good shooting guard out of California still available for 2018. Both are guys than can help immediately.

Reaction Score
Myreon Jones from Alabama is a guy we should be recruiting heavily, he's blowing up like James Akinjo was except he's blowing up from unheard of to 5 star status.

Devonaire Doutrive is a good shooting guard out of California still available for 2018. Both are guys than can help immediately.
We need another ball handler for next year if it is only going to be James Akinjo. I hope we get a point guard first and foremost.

Reaction Score
I don't know a single person who dislocated their shoulder and only did it once.
You are right. Just look at UConn over the years. Steve Pikiell and Rickey Moore had similar issues with their shoulders during their careers here. Really tough break for AG

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are you thick? No improvement?

Last year we were 4-4 ( and really only 3 actual wins since one was against Chaminade)

This year 6-2.

That’s actually quite easy to find. Troubling you aren’t able to.

They seem marginally improved.

The constant great escapes aren’t going to repeatable much longer. The upcoming opponents are going to gag like Stony Brook, Columbia and Monmouth did.

You could see Columbia and Stony Brook melt as even small crowds got vocal.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
7$ h.
They seem marginally improved.

The constant great escapes aren’t going to repeatable much longer. The upcoming opponents are going to gag like Stony Brook, Columbia and Monmouth did.

You could see Columbia and Stony Brook melt as even small crowds got vocal.

Maybe. Maybe not. We simply don’t know yet. And that’s been my whole overarching theme here the last few days. In the meantime I would much rather put Ws on the board while going through a learning process than L’s. And in the process I am seeing learning. I’m seeing roles develop. Diarra really coming along . Adams turning into a winning time machine. Larrier and CV getting more comfortable. We are gaining invaluable experience in late game pressure. Something teams of the last couple years failed at miserably. A basketball season is a marathon not a sprint and it cuts both ways. The 11 team that won Maui, did anyone see them limping through the big east at 9-9 before turning it on in tourney time. The 201o team was top 10 after first 10 games or so and then folded horribly.
The 14 team got housed by Louisville twice right before tourney. Things happen, when will people learn that? We have numerous injuries and virtually a whole new team with zero experience . Still we put w’s on the board. It’s a marathon not a sprint. The handwringing is simply premature. People love remembering our unlikely title runs in 11 and 14 but forget how rocky the road was at times getting there.
I blame millenials ( for their instant gratification needs and ADD) and spoiled baby boomers ( for being the most selfish front runners ever) . They all suck

I promise that when we beat Syracuse Tuesday peoples tunes change . And I’m going to torture them because I have a list and a weeks worth of miserable quotes ready to post and beat them over the head with. I can’t wait! :)

Reaction Score
Heard he is out. Could be career ending... sad...
Really devastating to the future of this program, but way worse for him personally. It looks like the injury was going to happen at some point no matter what though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of course I want results. And to achieve those results, I expect our staff to fill our roster appropriately and having only 4 guards on the roster, and now maybe only 3 due to the possible season ending injury to AG, is not acceptable. KO runs a guard orientated offense and his strength as a recruiter is supposed to be the guards. Just can't fathom how he would enter the season with only 4 guards and one with a chronic shoulder problem. It can't be lack of ships because there are a couples of guys on the team we could do without. We can beat the specifics re: TW and MAL to death, but we still have only 3 or 4 guards on the roster. That's my issue.
Sucks because neither one of those guys are near the level of Gilbert at 100%, and we can't even get or at least keep players at their level now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's sad but we need to recruit over him. If Adams does leave, it will be Akinjo and Vital alongside an extremely injury prone Gilbert. If Gilbert goes down again and Adams is gone, our backcourt will be Akinjo and Vital only. I hope we are looking at Grad transfer PG's already.

Reaction Score

Still in for Bryce Wills too

Reaction Score
As far as the scholarship situation goes, I don’t know where Larrier would go if he leaves early. He is obviously not an nba talent. He can’t dribble, defend and has never displayed any court vision. And contested long 2’s are just not accepted in the nba anymore. I understand he may have been in college long enough to get his degree soon but I don’t see the point in him doing a deandre daniels move and ending up in Australia.

Reaction Score
I believe this would be his fourth and at minimum his third. I am not saying he can’t have a nice career I would just not count on him becoming anything. If he does, and I will be rooting for him, it’s a bonus

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom