If Gilbert is out for the year again... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If Gilbert is out for the year again...

Reaction Score
The only potential mistake from the staff would be building a roster around a player with an issue like this. It would be hard to say Ollie and staff did that.

Other than ignoring their top 2017 recruit, who plays the same position, leading him to decommit. And then letting another premier, in-state player at the same position slip away.

The staff needed to take seriously our needs at PG and they did not. Antoine Anderson should have been a 5th guard, instead he's a starter.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Wait.

No.

He hurt it twice before he got here and then he hurt it about a week into the season.

This has zero to do with UConn and everything to do with God giving Alterique a crappy shoulder.
So then answer me this riddle. Why do we keep recruiting kids who have pre-existing injuries (Alterique, Larrier, Durham, Diarra, etc.)?

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
It's laughable to blame KO for the injury. It is perfectly fair to blame KO for not having a 5th guard on the roster, as long as you recognize that it wasn't for lack of trying. MAL's decommit hurt.

I think some people don't realize how bad the timing was for KO and company. MAL decommit when they already thought they were done. He was now coming into battles with teams who had been putting in the time for much longer. It was an uphill battle. Antwoine Anderson is a godsend.

Reaction Score
It's laughable to blame KO for the injury. It is perfectly fair to blame KO for not having a 5th guard on the roster, as long as you recognize that it wasn't for lack of trying. MAL's decommit hurt.

I agree that the injury obviously isn't KO's fault, but not being adequately prepared at the position certainly is.

Whose fault is that decommit if not KO's?

Reaction Score
I don't blame the staff for AG's shoulder, it's been an issue long before UConn....it's sucks for him and UConn.

In any case now JA, AA & CV will have to play way, way too many minutes which often leads to more injuries.....it's not a good situation. Can't keep any of 3 guards on the bench for more than the occasional blow the way our offense is completely guard centered. Antoine Anderson had to play 45 mins against Monmouth just to keep any chance of winning possible.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Other than ignoring their top 2017 recruit, who plays the same position, leading him to decommit. And then letting another premier, in-state player at the same position slip away.

The staff needed to take seriously our needs at PG and they did not. Antoine Anderson should have been a 5th guard, instead he's a starter.

The in-state player didn’t slip away. He had zero interest in going to UConn.

Right. Wrong. It doesn’t matter.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
I agree that the injury obviously isn't KO's fault, but not being adequately prepared at the position certainly is.

Would you have preferred them to grab someone who was potentially not up to snuff with the level of play? Honest question.

They tried VERY hard to get a guard. They also came into many recruiting battles that were already in full swing. When it comes to Tremont Waters... It's time to just realize he was NEVER interested in coming here.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
The in-state player didn’t slip away. He had zero interest in going to UConn.

Right. Wrong. It doesn’t matter.

To say they did their due diligence on Waters is an understatement. His Dad wanted UConn. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
So then answer me this riddle. Why do we keep recruiting kids who have pre-existing injuries (Alterique, Larrier, Durham, Diarra, etc.)?

Larrier and Diarra did not have pre-existing injuries. At the time of AG's commitment, he had injured his shoulder once his sophomore year and had went 2 years without injury. Durham, yes, we took a flyer on him.

Reaction Score

Fault and responsibility are not the same thing. It is clearly KO's responsibility that we only had 4 guards where one had a shoulder issue with a strong possibility of recurrence. That doesn't make MAL's decommit his fault. Neither you nor I have any idea if KO had any fault in that.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Reality is if mal was here anderson wouldn't have committed. And while mal is much better overall prospect he is not a good outside shooter.

Long term we are better team with mal over anderson. Short term anderson won't hurt us.

I think the overall moral of the story is that no matter what, we'd only have 4 guards. A 5th guard was never at play. There was no room.

Reaction Score
Would you have preferred them to grab someone who was potentially not up to snuff with the level of play? Honest question.

They tried VERY hard to get a guard. They also came into many recruiting battles that were already in full swing. When it comes to Tremont Waters... It's time to just realize he was NEVER interested in coming here.

Maybe Waters would have been interested if KO hadn't run the program into the ground, failed to get a single one of his recruits to the NBA, and generally deprived our brand of positive associations and buzz over the last 3 years.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Larrier and Diarra did not have pre-existing injuries. At the time of AG's commitment, he had injured his shoulder once his sophomore year and had went 2 years without injury. Durham, yes, we took a flyer on him.
Didn't Larrier tear his other ACL in high school? I know Diarra had previous knee issues.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Maybe Waters would have been interested if KO hadn't run the program into the ground, failed to get a single one of his recruits to the NBA, and generally deprived our brand of positive associations and buzz over the last 3 years.

He didn't want to come here even when we were of better stature. He was a Duke lover, but they never offered him.

Reaction Score

Any team in the country not named Duke or Kentucky would have taken Durham.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Are you stupid?

He had his second injury in the McD’s game.

You think we should have dropped him?
Yea. At that point, yes.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Yea. At that point, yes.

I can see it now...

"KO is ruining the integrity of the program by rescinding the scholarship. We made an offer to the-" ... you get it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyClifton

Top Bottom