If Gilbert is out for the year again... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

If Gilbert is out for the year again...

Reaction Score
This has zero to do with UConn and everything to do with God giving Alterique a crappy shoulder.

Hartford Courant: Gilbert dislocated the shoulder in high school, again playing in the Jordan Brand Classic in April 2016. After surgery, he dislocated the shoulder in the third game of his freshman season at UConn and missed he rest of 2016-17, having a second surgery. Gilbert re-injured the shoulder during the summer, slowing his rehab, and after a promising start to the season, he hurt it again playing Michigan State a week ago.

I hope he stays here on scholarship and gets his degree, even if he plays sparingly. Personally I'm tired of the Universities using these young kids and when they no longer benefit the U. they are dropped and left to fend on their own.

Reaction Score
At this point it's all speculation that Gilbert is out? It hasn't been announced anywhere other than by oz?

Reaction Score
Life is unfair. If injuries contribute to his firing, so be it. Here's the bottom line, how is the team performing? Even if you adjust expectations for the loss of Gilbert, they still look bad. Pulling out OT wins AT HOME against the likes of Columbia and Monmouth is not much of a silver lining. They should never have been in the position to need the heroics. Right now the team is 82nd in the Sagarins. Last year they finished 81st. There is no improvement no matter how hard people try to find it.

Reaction Score
I can see it now...

"KO is ruining the integrity of the program by rescinding the scholarship. We made an offer to the-" ... you get it.

He actually kept his word on 2 kids who's injuries will now end up interrupting the recruiting process. Durham wasn't half the player he should've been either when here, he may end up ok at ND but he said YES to KO then hurt his knee again. I guess KO should've said good luck but you'll never be a Husky huh? Hindsight says he should've because the kid screwed him, but he did what he had to do at the time. These things happen and it sucks, just seems to be the way things are for this time period.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
Life is unfair. If injuries contribute to his firing, so be it. Here's the bottom line, how is the team performing? Even if you adjust expectations for the loss of Gilbert, they still look bad. Pulling out OT wins AT HOME against the likes of Columbia and Monmouth is not much of a silver lining. They should never have been in the position to need the heroics. Right now the team is 82nd in the Sagarins. Last year they finished 81st. There is no improvement no matter how hard people try to find it.
We're 8 games into the season with all new parts except for Vital and Adams and the second/third best player is out. Only Anderson and Onurah have real experience and seasons under their belt. Larrier has one season about three years ago. I'm not making excuses but.......

Reaction Score
The good news is with the emergence of Antwoine we really don't need Alterique as much as many people think we do. We have enough to make the NCAA tournament with Jalen, Vital, Antwoine, Larrier, and Mamadou.

PS: As I said in the summer, Vital should have been starting from day 1 this year, and Alterique should have been healing and resting off the bench. He would have had a greater chance to heal properly.

PS: No excuses, NCAA tournament or bust for Ollie and the team.

Reaction Score
For those saying Waters was never interested in UConn - Waters called UConn his dream school in 8th grade. His fascination with UConn lasted a few years. He was on campus MANY times. As the program began to crumble, Waters seemed to lose interest, or maybe the rumors of a him wanting a guaranteed starting role had something to do with it, I don't know, but anyway, saying he was never interested in coming here is dead wrong. At one time this was the only place he wanted to be.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone expected Monmouth to be a cupcake. They’re one of the toughest mid majors of recent years.

Reaction Score
We're 8 games into the season with all new parts except for Vital and Adams and the second/third best player is out. Only Anderson and Onurah have real experience and seasons under their belt. Larrier has one season about three years ago. I'm not making excuses but..
Actually, you are making excuses. Listen, with Gilbert, this should have been a very good team. Without him, no one expects a run at the final four or even the sweet sixteen ir anything like that. But, even with adjusted expectations, what we are seeing is bad.

Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone expected Monmouth to be a cupcake. They’re one of the toughest mid majors of recent years.
Recent years is not this year. What they did in the past has no bearing on what they are right now. I will take an unbiased analysis of the actual results from this year, done by an MIT grad, over people's biased opinions based on past years.

Reaction Score
Alteriques loss is huge. He gets to the basket so easy, he and Adams would drive teams crazy trying to guard them and would open things up for everyone else. It's a huge impact on any expectations when you lose a kid that good and talented. I hope he can heal at some point but if not, wish him the best in his academics and hope his education would point him in the direction of basketball because he seems to love the game. Not predicting the end of his career, just not putting too much hope into him ever being what he expected to be for us.

As far as MAL, yeah he's probably going to be a very nice player and already is pretty good. Good sized kid, can get to the rim, kind of Early Kelly-ish with his creativity so those are good things. But for now Antoine is the better player for us, this year alone, I get the future blah blah blah but AA has won us a couple games remember. If he's not here there's a solid chance we're 4-4 and one of these BYers may have assassinated KO by now. MAL has 15 assists and 13TO's, not great. He can't shoot a lick, a mason. He missed 3 crucial FT's yesterday at URI in the loss and he doesn't look good there at all. A .455% at the FT line for your PG can impact you in a very negative way down the stretch of a game so if that doesn't improve we would have had a PG who we would need to take out the last 3 minutes of every close game? Not knocking the kid or saying glad we don't have him, just pointing out to all of those that think he would be the answer this year, well he wouldn't. Anderson is here because he's not and I'm glad we have him after all his lockdown D on Seaborn in the 2nd half was crucial.

Reaction Score
Recent years is not this year. What they did in the past has no bearing on what they are right now. I will take an unbiased analysis of the actual results from this year, done by an MIT grad, over people's biased opinions based on past years.

They played with Seton Hall too who is a very good team.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Alteriques loss is huge. He gets to the basket so easy, he and Adams would drive teams crazy trying to guard them and would open things up for everyone else. It's a huge impact on any expectations when you lose a kid that good and talented. I hope he can heal at some point but if not, wish him the best in his academics and hope his education would point him in the direction of basketball because he seems to love the game. Not predicting the end of his career, just not putting too much hope into him ever being what he expected to be for us.

As far as MAL, yeah he's probably going to be a very nice player and already is pretty good. Good sized kid, can get to the rim, kind of Early Kelly-ish with his creativity so those are good things. But for now Antoine is the better player for us, this year alone, I get the future blah blah blah but AA has won us a couple games remember. If he's not here there's a solid chance we're 4-4 and one of these BYers may have assassinated KO by now. MAL has 15 assists and 13TO's, not great. He can't shoot a lick, a mason. He missed 3 crucial FT's yesterday at URI in the loss and he doesn't look good there at all. A .455% at the FT line for your PG can impact you in a very negative way down the stretch of a game so if that doesn't improve we would have had a PG who we would need to take out the last 3 minutes of every close game? Not knocking the kid or saying glad we don't have him, just pointing out to all of those that think he would be the answer this year, well he wouldn't. Anderson is here because he's not and I'm glad we have him after all his lockdown D on Seaborn in the 2nd half was crucial.
I haven’t followed MAL but liked what I saw of him in the exhibition game and would love to have him here.

Re FTs, we appear to have a similar problem with Jalen.

Reaction Score
I haven’t followed MAL but liked what I saw of him in the exhibition game and would love to have him here.

Re FTs, we appear to have a similar problem with Jalen.

Yeah but we also saw Jalen be solid at the FT line for 2 years so he will figure it out. MAL looks very shaky at the line and I've seen him in a few games now. A lot to like no doubt but it's not all great there either. He will probably be pretty damn good, but it's not killing us he's not here other than the fact we lost him to PC. Well now it is because of AG's injury but we'd still have only 3 guards because Anderson wouldn't be here. My point really is it's more important to get a really good PF/C than it is a guard right now, he's not as big of a loss as some would like to think.

Reaction Score
My question is this: If AG's latest injury is career-ending, at what point does his scholarship free up? Because if it doesn't, we're down to three guards next year with no available scholarship to get a fourth. It's either Jalen, CV and Akinjo -- or Jalen leaves, and it's CV, Akinjo and whatever PG we can get at the last minute. If AG undergoes another surgery, and we can't free up another scholarship (Kwintin Williams?). then next year's backcourt is an absolute crapshoot.

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20171203-093948.png

Reaction Score
My question is this: If AG's latest injury is career-ending, at what point does his scholarship free up? Because if it doesn't, we're down to three guards next year with no available scholarship to get a fourth. It's either Jalen, CV and Akinjo -- or Jalen leaves, and it's CV, Akinjo and whatever PG we can get at the last minute. If AG undergoes another surgery, and we can't free up another scholarship (Kwintin Williams?). then next year's backcourt is an absolute crapshoot.
Not sure if this is legal with NCAA but couldn't the kid be released and then made a team manager with KO paying for his school expenses?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Redshirt freshman guard Alterique Gilbert missed his second consecutive game with discomfort in his surgically repaired left shoulder. Ollie could not say when Gilbert might play again, but hinted that another surgery is possible.

"The main person that's going to make the decision is not going to be us, it's not going to be UConn, it will be Alterique Gilbert," Ollie said. "He's making that decision."

Monmouth vs. Connecticut - Game Recap - December 2, 2017 - ESPN

That doesn't sound good.
Once you sublux a shoulder it's an issue. You can tighten the tendons via surgery or just build the muscle mass in the area but it is always at risk for another event and they are painful. He needs to decide if can live with that.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yep. Polley is gonna have to step up. Once Cobb is healthy we should be fine with the bigs. Under regular circumstances I think
Whaley would be a redshirt and probably wouldn't be here if Sid just came to Uconn in the first place. There's just too many plot twists.
Hast the NCAA made a decision on Sid yet. I know clearance for this year was never likely, but it would be nice if they issued a decision one way or the other.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyClifton

Top Bottom