Here’s a bombshell | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Here’s a bombshell

Reaction Score
You can take nova off that list since they aren’t a football school. Scratch off the Florida directionals because you’ve assumed that Miami will still be in the conference. I don’t see it being worthwhile for a big 12 team to move to the ACC, especially if the ACC has just been rated. In any event the ACC has avoided West Virginia like the plague.

Let’s see, who does that leave?
Villanova has expressed interest in moving up to FCS in the past. Not out of the question

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Villanova has expressed interest in moving up to FCS in the past. Not out of the question
It expressly turned it down when it was offered the opportunity to move up to FBS football by the Big East.

Reaction Score
Would WV be interested in joining this league? They would get the Pitt rivalry back but not VT.
not if the big12 is able to add CO/UU/AU/ASU. we dont want WVU taking our place in a watered down ACC anyways.

Reaction Score
You can take nova off that list since they aren’t a football school. Scratch off the Florida directionals because you’ve assumed that Miami will still be in the conference. I don’t see it being worthwhile for a big 12 team to move to the ACC, especially if the ACC has just been rated. In any event the ACC has avoided West Virginia like the plague.

Let’s see, who does that leave?
They avoided WV and ended up with Lousiville.

It's totally new territory for them.

WV is the best school out there for them.

Reaction Score
Why did the Big 12 add 4 instead of 2 when they lost UT and OU that dropped them down to 8? Inventory. There can be some dilution but at the same time you need enough content to show of your premiere properties. For basketball, can't do a 20 game conference schedule with 10 schools, need at least 11 to pull it off. Gets that extra conference game for Duke and Cuse and Louisville (and UConn) for the network.

They probably regret it now with so many better schools out there than the AAC flotsam but nonetheless that's probably why they were so aggressive with additions.
Well, this is why I said 12 is enough. They'd only need to add 2.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Every school must realize now that the big boys want to run their ow basketball tournament. A few key figures have said it outright.
Agree, I just think it is extraordinarily unlikely that they would pick a small private university without football to join an existing football based conference.

Reaction Score
Every school must realize now that the big boys want to run their ow basketball tournament. A few key figures have said it outright.
can you link an article quoting 1 decisionmaker saying this?

Reaction Score
Well, this is why I said 12 is enough. They'd only need to add 2.
I think there are only 2-3 schools they should consider outside P5 or that me personally consider to be peer institutions of those remaining. However, if the outcome of all of this is Big 10 has 20 schools, SEC has 20 schools, Big 12 has 16-20 schools, it might be wise for ACC to do the same. Once you get past UConn and USF, I just can't see ACC schools being thrilled with Memphis, Temple, Buffalo, UMass, etc.

I had thrown around the idea of having a western division with PAC 12 leftovers like Stanford, Cal, the Washingtons and Oregons but that's a pretty radical idea (but hey UCLA/USC now play Rutgers and Maryland) but it would allow them to operate out of more than 1 timezone, enter some new markets, could work scheduling wise with olympic sports travel being minimal.

Add UConn and USF to shore up east coast, renew some rivalries then add what you can of PAC 12 leftovers and that could work (provided ESPN blesses it of course).

Reaction Score
I had thrown around the idea of having a western division with PAC 12 leftovers like Stanford, Cal, the Washingtons and Oregons but that's a pretty radical idea
there is talk of a PAC/ACC merger going on (the PAC is desperate) so just for fun here's the "BiCoastal Conference" with 3 pods of 4:

Pacific: Cal/Stanford/OSU/WSU
Atlantic: Duke/Wake/NC St/Lville
Northeast: UConn/BC/Cuse/Pitt

this only works if the big12 gets to 18 (adding CO/UU/ASU/AU/UW/OR) and the SEC/B1G get to 20 (B1G adds ND/UNC/UVA/GT and SEC adds Clemson/FSU/Miami/VT)

Reaction Score
So, a reconstituted ACC would be...

Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, Virginia Tech, NC State, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, BC

That's 10 schools.

Explain to me why these schools would need to add more than 2 schools?

Candidates for those 2 spots in order: West Virginia, UConn, Kansas, Cincinnati, Villanova, UCF, USF.

Maybe they go to 4 adds. Who knows.

Any candidate for the ACC would need an FBS Football program so I don‘t see Nova as an option. I would focus on WVU, UConn, Kansas, and UCF and get to 14. If you can pick up 2 or more B12 schools then you go bigger.

Reaction Score
I’m as big of a BE fan as anyone but the BE/Indy combo is not competitive with the major conferences we make like 5 milly a year
I agree, never said we should stay in the BE/Indy. I'm just saying if the ACC's plan to stay relevant is inviting Temple and USF they need a new plan

Reaction Score
I agree, never said we should stay in the BE/Indy. I'm just saying if the ACC's plan to stay relevant is inviting Temple and USF they need a new plan
gotcha. unfortunately i can only see us getting an invite to the ACC if they are left to choose among non-P5 schools like them

Reaction Score

the most interesting nugget- ND's deal with NBC is up in '25 so they arent going to make a decision on joining the B1G until then. they will be very attractive to streaming services (e.g. NBC's peacock) and so there might not be a need for them to join the B1G after all. In the chance they do join they would take Stanford as a partner.

Reaction Score
can you link an article quoting 1 decisionmaker saying this?
No I can't. But it has come up again and again. I'm surely not the only one here to have read it, but sometimes I think the memory hole of this place and the memory horizon is last week.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Who wouldn’t want to pay whatever it takes to get pc and their sweet 16 appearance in their conference??!!

Reaction Score

the most interesting nugget- ND's deal with NBC is up in '25 so they arent going to make a decision on joining the B1G until then.

Why can't they make a decision before the contract is up? They may not be able to leave before then, but I have to imagine they can make a decision to leave before then.

I think ND is BiG bound. I don't think they can run the risk of being outside the elite of college football and the elite will be the SEC and BiG.

Reaction Score
Why can't they make a decision before the contract is up? They may not be able to leave before then, but I have to imagine they can make a decision to leave before then.

I think ND is BiG bound. I don't think they can run the risk of being outside the elite of college football and the elite will be the SEC and BiG.
It has been discussed by several sources reporting on the upcoming B1G deal that NBC wanted in on the deal so they could have a Notre Dame/B1G doubleheader on Saturdays.

IF Notre Dame gets out of the ACC, it would be easy for the B1G to slice off a piece to give to NBC as compensation for letting the Irish out a year early.

Reaction Score

By announcing early, they get penalized. Literally you can't even announced it or the timeclock starts.

Reaction Score
No need to have a Rutgers fight. I'm also a resident. There are plenty of casual Rutgers fans that aren't alums in my area (north NJ / Taylor Ham). But die hards with a block R are hard to find in my area if they aren't an alum or at least a parent of alums or current students. And we only have a couple of '22 grads going to RU in the fall. I probably know more non-alum Seton Hall fans in town. But I know non-alums that have settled in central NJ (if you believe there is a central NJ) that are big fans because they can get to games so easily. I know at least one even has a Block R on his car!

But isn't that a problem for a lot of Northeast schools? I know plenty of people in Connecticut whose kids went to schools that are no better than UConn because they wanted to get away. Same with people in Mass, Maryland, etc. There's little chance my kids will be going to Rutgers. It's why tv markets are probably going to mean less over time.

Rutgers won the lottery on the timing of its admission. NJ doesn't have a market. Half is part of the NYC market and the other half is Philly. It's also heavily and densely populated. The Big Ten wanted that flag pole regardless of the flag that was flying on it. I got the Big Ten network on my standard cable package whether I wanted it or not. But so did people in Manhattan. But streaming is only going to get more popular. Popular content is going to rule. Your popularity can be due to lots of homestate / alum fans, or from high quality content. Rutgers would probably look different to the Big 10 today, but they're in. All my opinion of course.
They B1G will have achieved Aresco’s dream . A coast to coast conference .
However I’ll never forget the sign on the interstate as you left New Jersey and crossed into Pennsylvania
“ America Starts Here” so apparently Pennsylvania folk have a worse opinion of New Jersey than us.

Reaction Score
Lol….don’t get your realignment news from, ah, SwimSwam.
If you want to place a bet on whether the ACC GOR stays intact let me know…you’re in the minority here on that viewpoint.

Reaction Score
By announcing early, they get penalized. Literally you can't even announced it or the timeclock starts.
What are the penalties for Texas, OK, USC & UCLA?

The reason they are waiting until the contract for their conferences to expire before making a move is to avoid penalties.

UT & OK announced last year which is 4 years in advance of the B12 contract expiration & USC/UCLA are going to play a full 2 seasons in the PAC before they bale

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom