Here’s a bombshell | The Boneyard

Here’s a bombshell

Reaction Score
Since UCONN isn’t getting into one of the major conferences would love to see a new conference formed that makes actual geographic sense for all sports.

Actually wonder if that will end up happening around the country. Actual regional conferences.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That’s a travel cost NIGHTMARE. Those cannot be the only two P12 schools to go. Makes zero sense.
They likely were chosen first to go e the BIG leverage on additional membership.

The two biggest names, from the biggest city in the PAC are leaving for greener pastures. Everyone else in the conference will now be begging for the BIG gor admission.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Since UCONN isn’t getting into one of the major conferences would love to see a new conference formed that makes actual geographic sense for all sports.

Actually wonder if that will end up happening around the country. Actual regional conferences.
There will be scraps of the ACC after their football meat is plucked from the conference.

Wouldn’t make a bad basketball conference and would welcome a potential merger. But leave BC out to rot.

Reaction Score
You are bad at math.

They will easily double their rights fees.
I don’t care what the top line increase is. ‘Travel costs’ also is a euphemism for roster/player impact, which will be significant.

How did we do against the rest of the AAC in football?

Reaction Score
There will be scraps of the ACC after their football meat is plucked from the conference.

Wouldn’t make a bad basketball conference and would welcome a potential merger. But leave BC out to rot.
Wonder what teams would be left behind from ACC? Probably one of the Virginia schools. BC without a doubt.

Reaction Score
You can no longer say that with any degree of certainty.
No I can say it. The two major conferences will be Big 10 and SEC. A possible third will be the PAC 12/Big 12 merger. ACC will be plundered and won’t be a major conference.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Wonder what teams would be left behind from ACC? Probably one of the Virginia schools. BC without a doubt.
Depends if SEC goes to 18 or 20 (and does the BIG go to 18 or 20), but I’d assume first in line for getting out of the ACC would be FSU, UNC, Miami, Clemson, UVA and Louisville.

Duke, Cuse, Pitt, BC, Wake, GT, NC State and (most likely) VT wouldn’t get an invite.

Reaction Score
Depends if SEC goes to 18 or 20 (and does the BIG go to 18 or 20), but I’d assume first in line for getting out of the ACC would be FSU, UNC, Miami, Clemson, UVA and Louisville.

Duke, Cuse, Pitt, BC, Wake, GT, NC State and (most likely) VT wouldn’t get an invite.

Would love to get into a conference with those leftovers while adding a few other regional teams to make it 12. Solid football conference and excellent basketball conference. Sign us up!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The PAC will lose four more schools to the BIG. Oregon and Washington will be locks. Arizona has a strong shot, number 4 is up for grabs.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
No I can say it. The two major conferences will be Big 10 and SEC. A possible third will be the PAC 12/Big 12 merger. ACC will be plundered and won’t be a major conference.
I don't think the ACC is a major conference now, especially with K's retirement. What else do they have?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I don’t care what the top line increase is. ‘Travel costs’ also is a euphemism for roster/player impact, which will be significant.

How did we do against the rest of the AAC in football?
I think a lot of the kids going to USC and UCLA have pro ambitions. And the NFL / NBA are all national leagues with plenty of travel. Travel is something they will just have to get used to. Why not now?

And also, comparing UConn football in the AAC to UCLA / USC in the BIG is one of the weirdest comparisons I’ve ever seen someone make.

Reaction Score

You don't think NC legislature would force NC State to be a package deal?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how things work.

The Big 10 and SEC cannot take any ACC schools as they have pledged their rights to the conference until 2037.

Why are Oklahoma and Texas waiting until 2025 to move to the SEC? That’s when their GOR expires. Why would UCLA and USC be leaving in 2024? That is when their GOR expires.

The ACC is where it will be. They can add, but they won’t see subtraction.

Reaction Score
You can no longer say that with any degree of certainty.
I said the same thing about the PAC and Big 12 in the realignment thread. I do think it's odd to only take USC and UCLA, but it looks like any additional Big 10 additions would be in Mountain or Pacific Time Zone. I think some more PAC teams will run and the remnants will form some type of conference with the Big 12. It won't be particularly impressive though.

Someone mentioned the ACC getting plundered. My only hope is that the ACC needs to get proactive. Who will plunder them now? The SEC is just about full. The Big 10 is getting full (and moving west). Unless they both truly go to 20+ teams each (possible), the ACC schools may not have an option (and have to wait a while to even test the water for the GOR). Their football schools see that they may not have a shot at the Big 10 or SEC in the future and need to start their expansion. But I still think we may be the school without a chair on the football side. Maybe the Big East merges with another power conference and UConn does (or doesn't) get a spot for the football team.

Either way, we are better off than we would've been had we stayed in the AAC. That certainly looks more and more clear.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom