Here’s a bombshell | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Here’s a bombshell

Reaction Score

interesting article about the PAC10 v. Big12 and how even without USC/UCLA the PAC dominates the latter in terms of ratings. to put it into perspective, ASU is the 3rd lowest rated PAC team but still outdraws WVU, which is the 3rd highest rated Big12 team. thanks in large part to PAC after dark the conference is still hopeful for a deal w/ espn worth around 30-35 million per school annually which is almost what the ACC is getting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

interesting article about the PAC10 v. Big12 and how even without USC/UCLA the PAC dominates the latter in terms of ratings. to put it things into perspective, ASU is the 3rd lowest rated PAC team but still outdraws WVU, which is the 3rd highest rated Big12 team. thanks in large part to PAC after dark the conference is still hopeful for a deal w/ espn worth around 30-35 million per school annually which is almost what the ACC is getting.
Unless the B1G grabs the two remaining California teams . That takes out a huge part of that market. The PAC without California is a head and legs without a body.
I don’t think they survive that blow

Reaction Score
Unless the B1G grabs the two remaining California teams . That takes out a huge part of that market. The PAC without California is a head and legs without a body.
the same thing can be said about oregon and washington joining the big10 but they havent been invited and i dont think there is a reason for further realignment until the ACC GOR ends/dissolves. in the meantime ND is the only domino that could fall.

Reaction Score
I agree it would be a massive blow but if the B1G wanted the other 2 Cali schools they would have grabbed them now with USC/UCLA.

If/when they got to 20+ schools those 2 might be a B1G target but, they aren't close to the top of the list. The B1G may even prefer Oregon & Washington over them to partner w USC/UCLA

Reaction Score
interesting article about the PAC10 v. Big12 and how even without USC/UCLA the PAC dominates the latter in terms of ratings. to put it into perspective, ASU is the 3rd lowest rated PAC team but still outdraws WVU, which is the 3rd highest rated Big12 team. thanks in large part to PAC after dark the conference is still hopeful for a deal w/ espn worth around 30-35 million per school annually which is almost what the ACC is getting.
Great article -- really provides some great data to backup why the Pac-12 teams "appear" to be sticking together (quotes because of course this could change at a given moment).

Curious if B12 gets creative and puts on some games at 10:30pm ET with BYU home to compete with P12 after dark (would be an 8:30pm local start in Provo). Maybe when Kansas comes they'll do it judging by the ratings of the Jayhawks...

Reaction Score
I agree it would be a massive blow but if the B1G wanted the other 2 Cali schools they would have grabbed them now with USC/UCLA.

If/when they got to 20+ schools those 2 might be a B1G target but, they aren't close to the top of the list. The B1G may even prefer Oregon & Washington over them to partner w USC/UCLA
I think the Big 10 is waiting on Notre Dame to make a decision, but that decision could be years away. Also, I think the Big 10 would like some of the ACC teams, but that doesn't seem to be on the table for another 10 years. Thus, I think the Big 10 is OK with the schools they have right now and are in no hurry to add other Pac 12 teams. That said, I think there will be a Western pod for the Big 10 as it makes no sense for USC and UCLA to be the only schools on the West coast. Personally, I think Stanford is at the top of the list and Cal is probably 2nd.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Helps to have more people in Phoenix than in West Virginia

Reaction Score
wouldnt expect anything less from a cuse grad working at espn...

CONNECTICUT GOVERNOR NED LAMONT wanted to spend a few minutes engaging with voters on Twitter earlier this summer, so he started a Q&A with the hashtag #AskNedAnything.

Question: Will UConn join a Power 5 conference?

For anyone who doesn't need to woo voters in the state, the answer seems obvious. In the playoff era, UConn is a woeful 21-76. The Huskies have exactly one win vs. an FBS opponent since 2017 (vs. equally awful UMass), and they last beat a Power 5 team nearly six years ago.

Lamont was undaunted. The replies were predictably hilarious. The UConn jokes mostly write themselves.

Since the program's high-water mark in 2010, when it won the Big East and played in the Fiesta Bowl, the Huskies have been a national laughingstock, and after canceling their entire 2020 campaign amid the COVID-19 pandemic, they withdrew from the American Athletic Conference and opted for independence, just so their basketball programs could have a better home in the reconstituted Big East.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
wouldnt expect anything less from a cuse grad working at espn...

CONNECTICUT GOVERNOR NED LAMONT wanted to spend a few minutes engaging with voters on Twitter earlier this summer, so he started a Q&A with the hashtag #AskNedAnything.

Question: Will UConn join a Power 5 conference?

For anyone who doesn't need to woo voters in the state, the answer seems obvious. In the playoff era, UConn is a woeful 21-76. The Huskies have exactly one win vs. an FBS opponent since 2017 (vs. equally awful UMass), and they last beat a Power 5 team nearly six years ago.

Lamont was undaunted. The replies were predictably hilarious. The UConn jokes mostly write themselves.

Since the program's high-water mark in 2010, when it won the Big East and played in the Fiesta Bowl, the Huskies have been a national laughingstock, and after canceling their entire 2020 campaign amid the COVID-19 pandemic, they withdrew from the American Athletic Conference and opted for independence, just so their basketball programs could have a better home in the reconstituted Big East.
Unfortunately, it is accurate.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it is accurate.
It’s all good. We’re down right now. We’ve been down for 10 years, but there’s reason to believe we are about to climb out of the hole. Jim Mora has been as impressive as is possible during his run up to his first season. Now, that doesn’t guarantee us wins, but people who are extraordinary at the details of the collateral aspects of their job, typically are equally extraordinary at the details of the core focus of their job. I’m hopeful.

I am completely willing to except all the cracks about our program that people want to make. We’ve earned them. But as I’m fond of saying here, the notion that the way things are is the way they will always be is the refuge of tiny minds. And every little snide remark, every time we’re underestimated, every time we are a punchline is just going to make our eventual revival that much sweeter.

Reaction Score
I'll say it again, we have have quite possibly the two best coaches we've had in program history on staff right now. I know that is saying a lot, because we've had some great assistants and coordinators, but I believe it. This staff is loaded with competence. I feel fairly certain brighter days are ahead. I still have some reservations, but nothing like I've had in the past.

Reaction Score
I’m hopeful but I’m also tired of spending so much money on an embarrassment of a program. Fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
It’s all good. We’re down right now. We’ve been down for 10 years, but there’s reason to believe we are about to climb out of the hole. Jim Mora has been as impressive as is possible during his run up to his first season. Now, that doesn’t guarantee us wins, but people who are extraordinary at the details of the collateral aspects of their job, typically are equally extraordinary at the details of the core focus of their job. I’m hopeful.

I am completely willing to except all the cracks about our program that people want to make. We’ve earned them. But as I’m fond of saying here, the notion that the way things are is the way they will always be is the refuge of tiny minds. And every little snide remark, every time we’re underestimated, every time we are a punchline is just going to make our eventual revival that much sweeter.
Agreed - I am hopeful, too. The new regime should get us back to .500 in a few seasons (likely not this year or next but perhaps three). We need this badly so we can be positioned better in terms of conference realignment, which will likely pause a bit for the next year or so (it seems like the conferences make one move every year or two with adding two teams and with Notre Dame seemingly showing patience and holding their independence dear to their heart) it gives us time to show the world we can be decent pig-skinners (again). That timeline will also let men's hoops get back to annual top-20 status (and hopefully beyond). Just wish that Paige didn't go down again as women's hoops is still our best calling card at the moment. Cheers to better days!!

Reaction Score
Yeah likely no movement until ND decides what to do. Their current deal is $22 million a year through 2025. I don't see NBC upping it to the $75 million they requested to stay independent -- but with NBC in the heart of negotiations I could see them trying to say well we can't do that but...if you join the BIG....

Reaction Score
Yeah likely no movement until ND decides what to do. Their current deal is $22 million a year through 2025. I don't see NBC upping it to the $75 million they requested to stay independent -- but with NBC in the heart of negotiations I could see them trying to say well we can't do that but...if you join the BIG....
$22 million isn’t what it use to be when you see the Big10/SEC numbers on the table.
Someone would differently pay more, especially given some network will have loss out on various deals and will have to try to salvage something and pay a lot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom