Hawkins vs Binghampton | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hawkins vs Binghampton

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't have a big problem with a guard attempting to take over at the end of the shot clock, half or game.
Ever since I saw Vital "take over" 4 straight times late against WSU without drawing iron, I prefer running something.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He’s the only guy on the team capable of being a go to and can legit get his own shot. Crazy fast, and can score in a lot of different ways easily. He’ll be special once the game starts slowing down. He also looks great as an on ball defender. This team is DEEP

Reaction Score
PLEASE STOP. We get it. But you are overwhelmingly effusive on this kid after a few games. We all can see and get excited. I think he played his game better than 7 other guys played today. But you have got him going in the Lottery already. Calm down

Reaction Score
These two (Bo and Sox) bleed blue.
63CAB5CF-1CB7-417F-8DF6-1CBA0DD36F10.jpeg

Reaction Score
PLEASE STOP. We get it. But you are overwhelmingly effusive on this kid after a few games. We all can see and get excited. I think he played his game better than 7 other guys played today. But you have got him going in the Lottery already. Calm down
That's fair. But in the short post game interview immediately after the game Hurley didn't pull any punches. Said he'd be a first round draft pick. So if the board is over reacting, we are not alone.

Reaction Score
That fade away was a big time move
That was the eye opener. He created off the dribble with the defender all over him, faded away and made it. I do think he can be the best guy with the clock winding down.

Reaction Score
If we can't be overwhelmingly effusive on the boneyard, what good is this place.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I want him coming in with the first wave of subs. Usually polley and Akok? He's good enough to start but no one else is performing poorly. 25mpg is a good goal.

I wouldn't mine Akok starting for Whaley however. Need his shooting and Whaley is in a funk getting the ball in the hoop
Well he is doing the same thing as last year. Whaley is alone at the three point line or a little inside. Always stares and passes it. If it is clear shoot it. It has gone in before for him. Also the same as last year is me screaming "SHOOT IT!!!!"

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Since he was a sophomore in HS/Prep school he showed the confidence you wanted in every kid but most importantly he was not a showman or street player. People used to go watch the upper class players on his team and come away saying who is this Hawkins kid - and he didnt start until about the 15th game of the season and took the role away from a 4* senior. From that point on I only watched him. I kept saying on this board that this is a kid built for UConn. I mentioned him to DH when he was doing those numerous drop ins during off season 2019 for UConn Club members and he said that T Brown and then K Hunter were keeping an eye on him. I'm glad they kept on top of it. He will be a huge star.

Reaction Score
That's fair. But in the short post game interview immediately after the game Hurley didn't pull any punches. Said he'd be a first round draft pick. So if the board is over reacting, we are not alone.
He probably meant when he entered the draft not necessarily after this season.

Reaction Score
He probably meant when he entered the draft not necessarily after this season.
Agreed, but he's watched him play ~20 minutes of game time. And roughly sentence one on the subject includes "first round draft pick". What would you expect lunatic fans to say.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm probably not making sense here but Hawkins just looked like he knew what he was doing. He looked like a good player who already knew what he was supposed to do. Not many freshman jitters there.

That was my first thought too. He's really polished already.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Ever since I saw Vital "take over" 4 straight times late against WSU without drawing iron, I prefer running something.
are you comparing Hawkins to Vital?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I want him coming in with the first wave of subs. Usually polley and Akok? He's good enough to start but no one else is performing poorly. 25mpg is a good goal.

I wouldn't mine Akok starting for Whaley however. Need his shooting and Whaley is in a funk getting the ball in the hoop
Gaff should come in before Hawkins but Hawkins should come in before Polley. Not so sure I like Akok starting right now. He's playing very well off the bench but Whaley should absolutely be on a short leash. If he doesn't clean it up, then start Akok.

Hawkins needs 25+ minutes

Reaction Score
Whaley should be Sanogo's backup at this point. He's clearly better at the 5 than the 4 spot. Akok should be the 5th starter. Hawkins, Polley and Gaffney will be plenty of firepower off the bench. Hurley's hand is loaded.

Reaction Score
Gaff is still too much me first to be a starter, imo. That last possession of the first half was Ollieball I hoped I'd never see again.
Funny you say that, I felt like Cole forced several drives/shots today that weren’t within the flow of the offense. seemed like he wanted to “get his”

Reaction Score
Gaff is still too much me first to be a starter, imo. That last possession of the first half was Ollieball I hoped I'd never see again.
Think that was the play he was sent in with. Dribble down the clock then start a drive, likely had one or two design pass options that didn't present, so took it to the hoop as another designed option. It didn't work, but that doesn't mean he was freelancing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No Pudge

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I mean I've watched him play in more games than anyone on this board. His handle looks improved but it was not good just 8 months ago. Not saying that makes my opinion infallible, but it seems pretty apparent to me.

At what point today did he demonstrate great handles? I saw him run it across half court a few times and need to dump it off to Gaff or Cole + a bunch of right handed drives. He pulled up both times he went left from what I can remember (and made one).

I'd be thrilled ro be proven wrong this season though.
….you aren’t wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom