Hawkins vs Binghampton | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hawkins vs Binghampton

Reaction Score
I’ve been saying this the past few games that I don’t think Whaley and Sanogo should be playing that much together, that line up isn’t working well for Whaley. He plays better at the 5. He really needs to square up on his layups or try to start dunking these put backs, can’t miss that many bunnies. It’s been an issue for him for awhile now.
The issue is that unless you're cutting Whaley's minutes to around 10 they have to play some minutes together. I used to think the starts of the half was the best time to do it but I'm not even sure what's best anymore if Whaley is going to shoot like this

Reaction Score
I’ve been saying this the past few games that I don’t think Whaley and Sanogo should be playing that much together, that line up isn’t working well for Whaley. He plays better at the 5. He really needs to square up on his layups or try to start dunking these put backs, can’t miss that many bunnies. It’s been an issue for him for awhile now.
After seeing it happen again I agree with this. Sanogo down low means the guy playing the 4 needs to be out near the 3 point line to draw the double off Sanogo. Whaley isn't a 3 point threat - Akok and/or Polley need to be the 4 when Sanogo is in

Reaction Score
The issue is that unless you're cutting Whaley's minutes to around 10 they have to play some minutes together. I used to think the starts of the half was the best time to do it but I'm not even sure what's best anymore if Whaley is going to shoot like this
The problem is Whaley is a 5 in my opinion. With Sanogo’s progression Whaley just isn’t a starter here anymore. It doesn’t mean he won’t win us a game or 2 on the defensive end. But that starting lineup is bogged down with to paint heavy bigs

Reaction Score
Yup. He's a straight line driver. Always has been. And that's exactly what he showed today. I think he drove to his right 4x. Made 3 of em?
This does seem like a legit debate. I'm pretty impressed with his ball handling. Others are impressed with his ability to get off his shot. Which isn't a skill that is exclusive to solid ball handlers, but it definitely helps. I see what you are saying and I acknowledge there is merit to it. I just lean towards "the dude has handles" side of the argument.

The reality is, he's probably better than you suggest and not as good as I think. We may be splitting hairs

Reaction Score
He'll play a bunch but start with your 5 best players and the guys who complement each other the best. I like what Hurley says about starting the game with force but at some point it's going to be hard to justify that Whaley's D outweighs everything Akok brings to the table and how he compliments Sanogo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The problem is Whaley is a 5 in my opinion. With Sanogo’s progression Whaley just isn’t a starter here anymore. It doesn’t mean he won’t win us a game or 2 on the defensive end. But that starting lineup is bogged down with to paint heavy bigs
Whaley not being starter quality anymore this season is what I was hoping for. Not because he regressed, but because the talent around him just got so much better. He's still a key player and one of our best defensively, but it's going to hurt the team on offense if it means taking away minutes from Akok and Polley. It hurts Sanogo too because he gets double teamed since Whaley isn't a threat to knock down the outside shot

Reaction Score
Hawkins totally stands out plays at another gear. Let’s see how much he stands out in the Battle for Atlantis, by then there good be a lot of one and done discussion. 2 years from Hawkins will feel like 4.

Reaction Score
I agree, I've been saying he's a strictly a 5 since before last season. If we never saw another minute of Whaley at the 4 I'd be a very happy fan, I'm just not sure how to make that work with our current rotation. But I guess that's why I'm not the head coach

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hawkins is the real deal. Don't make fun if me, but I get Ray Allen vibes. Maybe it's the afternoon whiskey speaking though.

That fadeaway in traffic was a classic Ray Allen shot. Looked just like him. His physical build is similar, as is style of play. I usually think most comps are stupid and forced, but he really does look and play like Ray.

Reaction Score
This does seem like a legit debate. I'm pretty impressed with his ball handling. Others are impressed with his ability to get off his shot. Which isn't a skill that is exclusive to solid ball handlers, but it definitely helps. I see what you are saying and I acknowledge there is merit to it. I just lean towards "the dude has handles" side of the argument.

The reality is, he's probably better than you suggest and not as good as I think. We may be splitting hairs

I mean I've watched him play in more games than anyone on this board. His handle looks improved but it was not good just 8 months ago. Not saying that makes my opinion infallible, but it seems pretty apparent to me.

At what point today did he demonstrate great handles? I saw him run it across half court a few times and need to dump it off to Gaff or Cole + a bunch of right handed drives. He pulled up both times he went left from what I can remember (and made one).

I'd be thrilled ro be proven wrong this season though.

Reaction Score
Ya I’m not saying cut it to 10 min, but I’m curious to see if they trot that line up out in crunch time. I just don’t think they can. Idk, he’s definitely in a funk but I think some of that is having him and Sanogo together for too long of stretches. If he’s going to play the way he did today (and most of this season really) his minutes are going to shrink. Akok, Polley, even Martin can all eat into those, those 3 have all been playing well. I like the aggression I’ve seen from Polley Specifically.

Reaction Score
I was traveling the other night so I missed his debut against LIU . I couldnt agree more with what everyone said post game then about him. This kid has all of the tools to be a spectacular player.

I'm looking forward to seeing him use his first jab step to either go right into his jump shot or blow past his defender. He's going to embarrass defenders the next couple of years.

Reaction Score
By January Hawkins/Gaff could be one of the best backcourts in the country and they wont even be starting. lol!
Good point..

Last year we debated Cole/Gaff most of the year. Gaff was more athletic but more erratic. Cole was less athletic, but was a more consistent shooter.

In the end Cole won because I think he did a fabulous job playing to his skills and avoiding situations that he didn't do well. I was in the Gaff camp. I conceded the loss by the end of the year.

Now Gaff is playing very consistent, shooting better and still more athletic than Cole. Hawkins is more athletic than both of them. Proper first round talent.

The PG debate is back. In fact, it's expanded to the entire backcourt. We have a legit backcourt debate. I love it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Now Gaff is playing very consistent, shooting better and still more athletic than Cole. Hawkins is more athletic than both of them. Proper first round talent.
Gaff is still too much me first to be a starter, imo. That last possession of the first half was Ollieball I hoped I'd never see again.

Reaction Score
Good point..

Last year we debated Cole/Gaff most of the year. Gaff was more athletic but more erratic. Cole was less athletic, but was a more consistent shooter.

In the end Cole won because I think he did a fabulous job playing to his skills and avoiding situations that he didn't do well. I was in the Gaff camp. I conceded the loss by the end of the year.

The PG debate is back. In fact, it's expanded to the entire backcourt. We have a legit backcourt debate. I love it.
There's no point guard debate.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I see some Bradley Beal type game too but he seems actually lengthier. But I didn't have a chance to watch a ton of the last 2 games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom