Has the gag order been lifted? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Has the gag order been lifted?

Reaction Score
Regardless of why Miller was terminated the fact he was a “Rat” for the NCAA is really messed up.. Now he really won’t get a job anywhere.. I understand how bitter he is towards Ollie but he also threw the program under the bus.

Glen Miller is in the College Basketball witness protection program in DIII hiding behind JC...

He spilled program secrets for immunity.. And it’s all stuff that other programs do but never ever leak out or have former coaches turn in.

"Program secrets" should be limited to in-game plans/legal recruiting strategies, not federal crimes/covering up NCAA infractions.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
It seems pretty cut and dry that Ollie committed NCAA violations, but at the same time you know UConn would have his back if he was winning so it still feels a little gross to withhold everything. Firing for just cause is justified though

Reaction Score

Regardless of why Miller was terminated the fact he was a “Rat” for the NCAA is really messed up.. Now he really won’t get a job anywhere.. I understand how bitter he is towards Ollie but he also threw the program under the bus.

Glen Miller is in the College Basketball witness protection program in DIII hiding behind JC...

He spilled program secrets for immunity.. And it’s all stuff that other programs do but never ever leak out or have former coaches turn in.

From the updated article in the link above:

>>Miller told NCAA investigators that he tried to warn Ollie that his California friend Danny Griffin, who was brought in as a non-coaching staff member, was possibly calling recruits illegally. “There was times when I advised Kevin that this was probably not a good thing to do for obvious reasons, and I got a strong impression from him by his conduct and his interactions after that, that he didn't want to hear that from me,” Miller said. “So, you know, it was an environment where, you know, if -- how do you handle that? When you're dealing with somebody who is very strong-minded, who almost is looking down at me.”

“I have a very — 100 percent clean record, but I'm not naive either as to, you know, recruiting and what goes on and those types of things. But after trying to advise him on certain things … and getting the response, sort of the feeling from him that I got, you know, it's — for me to — to report those things if he didn't follow my advice might get him in trouble, sat down for a few games, and it would cost me my job, and I really think in the end it did cost me my job,” Miller said.<<

Smell another civil suit coming but not against UConn...

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is crap. I hope he gets every dime.
It sucks. He doesn’t deserve to and won’t get every dime, but he didn’t deserve to get set up, either, which is what this smells like.

It sucks that he put himself in that position, but this doesn’t feel good. The Miller thing really turns my stomach. Imagine what he could say about the Calhoun years?

Reaction Score

He saved UConn from KO and threw his own reputation under the bus to do it.

Reaction Score
I find it pretty interesting, given the violations, that Glen Miller decided to talk in exchange for immunity. The violations outlined don't seem like they would carry any serious sanctions. It's not like Glen Miller was facing a show cause and decided to cooperate.

Reaction Score
>>Miller told NCAA investigators that he tried to warn Ollie that his California friend Danny Griffin, who was brought in as a non-coaching staff member, was possibly calling recruits illegally.

“There was times when I advised Kevin that this was probably not a good thing to do for obvious reasons, and I got a strong impression from him by his conduct and his interactions after that, that he didn't want to hear that from me,” Miller said. “So, you know, it was an environment where, you know, if -- how do you handle that? When you're dealing with somebody who is very strong-minded, who almost is looking down at me.”

“I have a very — 100 percent clean record, but I'm not naive either as to, you know, recruiting and what goes on and those types of things. But after trying to advise him on certain things … and getting the response, sort of the feeling from him that I got, you know, it's — for me to — to report those things if he didn't follow my advice might get him in trouble, sat down for a few games, and it would cost me my job, and I really think in the end it did cost me my job,” Miller said.<<

Smell another civil suit coming but not against UConn...
Would that even be possible? To sue your boss but not employer?

Reaction Score
It sucks. He doesn’t deserve to and won’t get every dime, but he didn’t deserve to get set up, either, which is what this smells like.

It sucks that he put himself in that position, but this doesn’t feel good. The Miller thing really turns my stomach. Imagine what he could say about the Calhoun years?

Set up? LOL. You can complain about someone ratting him out, but he made those decisions. There was no set-up.

Reaction Score
Wish we could have settled sooner and avoided all this ugliness.

I get the process, I get why it had to play out this way. But nobody wears this story well.
it's not like it would have stayed under wraps if they settled. It's publicly available information under the FOIA

C

Chief00

The recruiting timing for all this KO mess couldn’t be worse - now recruits will worry about sanctions.

Reaction Score
The recruiting timing for all this KO mess couldn’t be worse - now recruits will worry about sanctions.

Doubtful. Nothing egregious enough for a post-season ban, and that's the only sanction recruits care about.

Reaction Score
Gross.... It'll actually be kinda interesting to see how long JC even keeps him around...
I can see him introducing GM to parties as, "here's my assistant, the canary."
Or, at a game/practice, "Hey stoolie, grab me a stool!"

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He clearly and purposely broke the rules. How anyone could defend that or trash the university for what they’re doing after having the facts now is beyond me. KO can just go away now please

Just stop.

If they won and someone tried to raise this as issues you’d be one of the first to take up a torch.

Show one scintilla of integrity and don’t pretend for a second you wouldn’t.

If somone posted an instagram of some kid talking to Ray Allen on the phone it would get 100 likes.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Set up? LOL. You can complain about someone ratting him out, but he made those decisions. There was no set-up.
Sorry rat out then. Yeah it sounds like technical infractions were committed, but from what has come out so far it looks like the types of things that are only honored in the breach. I mean, again, from what I’ve heard about the JC years this is the equivalent of jaywalking.

And again, not saying he didn’t suck at his job the last two seasons or that he didn’t deserve to be fired. And I am happy we made the change.

I just feel bad juju about doing it this way.

Reaction Score
Ollie is not our coach anymore and if that takes Glen miller being a rat I hold no grudge. The amount of money at stake is massive for a school like uconn. The athletic DEPT is gonna pull out all the stops they have to in order to maintain their dwindling athletic budget and save their once proud b-ball program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom