Georgetown Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree completely. Another concussion could be career ending for her. Her head—especially the back—seems very tender. Not able to tolerate hits.
Wasn't there a player, I think for Stanford, that had to quit basketball because of concussions? Scary stuff.

Reaction Score
Still not shooting great at 38%/25%
The shots just weren't rolling in. There were exceptions (airballs & missed bunnies as per usual), but lots of decent looks and shots with good form that just didn't fall. I was yelling "just keep shooting" and fortunately my sage advice made it through the airwaves.

Reaction Score
Was great to be at the game and see the team win with a full complement of 10 players.

The positives:
1. We won the rebound battle. What was a little different in todays game was the bigs were down low when outside shots were being taken.
2. The turnovers were kept down till later in the game.
3. We took 68 shots.

What needs work
1. We were lost on offense in the last quarter.
2. We lost focus for significant stretches.
3. Four players combined for 33 minutes and zero points.

Aaliyah and Dorka had great games with double doubles. Lou and Azzi were great on offense and defense. The one-two punch was terrific and opened the court. Nika had a solid game, as did Audrey. The bench helped out and will hopefully get stronger.

Looking forward to having the whole team back for the rest of the season!

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a player, I think for Stanford, that had to quit basketball because of concussions? Scary stuff.
She lost a lot of time—and almost her career. Starting guard last year—her brother was a professional athlete. I am not remembering her name.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Jamie Carey. Stanford wouldn’t let her play so she transferred to Texas and played another season with no ill effect

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Jamie Carey. Stanford wouldn’t let her play so she transferred to Texas and played another season with no I’ll effect
And then played as backup point guard to Lindsay Whalen for several years for the Connecticut Sun.

Are you sure her injury was a concussion, however?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Several pros and a con:
-In the beginning of the game, it appeared UConn was running away from offensive rebounds to prevent fast breaks. Since Georgetown is not a fast-breaking team, great to see Edwards and Griffin start hammering the boards from 2nd quarter on. Not sure why UConn has not used this strategy recently, but we certainly have some of the best offensive rebounders in the game.
-Aubrey has not received a lot of kudos recently, but she seems to be the Aubrey of the beginning of the year. Could she have been banged up? Great to see her sky for layups, out quick the competition for rebounds and totally handcuff the offensive player. Good to see the Aubrey of old.
-Not sure if it was the Azzi effect, but the middle of the court was open for most of the game and it showed in UConn's ability to cut, pass, and get open. Reminded me of UConn's run to the Championship last year.
-Sometimes its fun to watch Geno yell at his player then have them sit next to CD and get her translation and pat on the back. Suspect this has been going on for years.
-At times Patterson seems lost. Can't make a layup, gets in the way of the offensive system, and fouls even the shortest player she should have been able to defend. Hopefully she gets to watch some film over the summer and understand she has the physical abilities to be a top player if she can sync the pace of her play with the competition.

Reaction Score
Jamie Carey. Stanford wouldn’t let her play so she transferred to Texas and played another season with no I’ll effect
There was also Toni Kokenis who medically retired due to concussions at Stanford.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I agree completely. Another concussion could be career ending for her. Her head—especially the back—seems very tender. Not able to tolerate hits.
I'm sorry but I don't know of anyone whose head would tolerate an elbow to it. It made The American Dream rich and famous.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Geno is also on the injury list. He nearly bit off his lower lip trying not to smile after Azzi drained that 3 pointer.
It concerns me that Geno, during interviews, so often closes his eyes, grits his teeth, and grimaces, like he's in some kind of pain. And then he seems to struggle getting out of the chair. I pray that this is nothing more than the inevitable arthritis of advancing age. He otherwise looks great, still sounds so on-top of his game, and is one of the most gracious and cooperative interviewees I've ever seen. I especially like this year's haircut.

The best prescription: getting up on the ladder and cutting down some nets. Then a well-deserved vacation in sunny southern Italy, where he can clear his head about planning for next year's team. But we're getting ahead of ourselves. Still work to do.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I don't know of anyone whose head would tolerate an elbow to it. It made The American Dream rich and famous.
It was the intensity of the reaction. Players take elbows to the head often in what is now a very physical women’s game. C’s reaction on top of all the weeks she has been out with icing and earplugs—the pain for her seems extreme.

Reaction Score
It was the intensity of the reaction. Players take elbows to the head often in what is now a very physical women’s game. C’s reaction on top of all the weeks she has been out with icing and earplugs—the pain for her seems extreme.
I can’t speak for Caroline so I’ll only speak for myself. I have lingering sports injuries that I got a decade+ ago and every now and then I’ll tweak that area while doing yard work and end up taking the rest of the day off. Everyone’s body works differently and what’s tolerable for one might not be for someone else.

I wouldn’t say CD’s actions afterwards seem extreme. I think she and the medical staff practice an abundance of caution — ice, rest, ear plugs. Better to be more cautious than less. Also I will say sometimes tears can be an emotional/mental reaction as much as physical.

But I’m not a doctor, nor do I know her situation, so take my opinion/thoughts for what they are worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom