Georgetown Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some Thoughts on the Georgetown game:
  • The Hoyas are a bottom tier BE team. But they’ve given the Huskies a surprising battle both times they faced UConn during the regular season. Not so today, as UConn was locked in at the start of the game. There’s a Conference Tournament Championship on the line!!! :cool:
  • One thing you often see from a tired team is defensive breakdowns. After 4 days off, UConn’s defense was reenergized and suffocating during the first half. Georgetown was held to single digit scoring in the 1st & 2nd qtrs and that was basically all she wrote.
  • Great to have Azzi back on the court. She was a little rusty shooting the ball at first, as might be expected, but was moving well, playing solid defense while giving Nika a spell at pg. The fast break Azzi lead in the 2nd qtr, surveying the court before hitting Lou on the wing for a 3 was textbook basketball!!! When she started draining 3’s in the 2nd half, you could just feel the weight of the world lifted from the team, the coaching staff and, to be sure, the entire UConn fanbase.:)
  • Aaliyah was a monster on the glass today, with 10 rebounds in the first half and 13 for the game, to go along with 19 points and 4 blocks.
  • Dorka also chipped in with a reassuring double-double, including 5 OREB's, after missing the last game with a tender ankle.
  • The Huskies used all 10 players today, with nobody forced to play excessive minutes, something that hopefully pays dividends tomorrow and on Monday......:rolleyes:
  • Unfortunately it wouldn't be a UConn game without another injury. It’s hard to know what to think and feel about Caroline’s repeated head injuries. Obviously she wants to play in the worst way, and we all certainly want to see her play. But I must confess that I am concerned about Caroline’s long-term health and well-being.
  • Next up for UConn is either Marquette or St John’s. Both teams beat the Huskies the last time they played. I believe UConn will win tomorrow, but I also expect a tough battle whichever team the Huskies face.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I get it. Against a not-good team playing not good.

But UConn was in a place where the quality of the opposition didn’t matter. They are in a better place right now. I'm excited about that. I liked the bit of energy at the end, after a throw-away 4th Q had became embarassing

How much better a place? I have no idea.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's a win. Aaliyah played great. Lou was really solid. It was incredible to see Azzi back and finally find her stroke. Dorka was solid and Aubrey decent. Nika had way too many turnovers, but had some great defense all game.

What a reception for Azzi from the fans. And the reaction to seeing Carol back on the bench when she was on the jumbo tron - even the announcers were like "wow - UCONN fans really are knowledgeable"

Oh, and there were long stretches where our defense was just terrific. Very nice to see that, and getting out and running. Shades of UCONN from the past!!

Other side note, GREAT seeing so many Georgetown players get into foul trouble in the first quarter. Nice to see the refs finally calling what we've seen all season.

Many will say "who cares? Survive and advance". Sure, but with the bench providing very little, Carol out again, we are back down to 6 players. But hey, at least we aren't Notre Dame. Look at how bad they look ONLY missing 2 players. What this team has overcome is incredible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good game, bit sloppy, bummed Caroline got injured. A couple of player combinations puzzled me- having Inez and Nika in together? Maybe it was to give Inez some game time without putting pressure on her to have 100% of point guard duties. 2nd, there were more than a few times when Aaliyah and Dorka were in together on offense & both were outside- one of them should have been down low. But, good game and welcome back Azzi!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The team has to reaquiaint itself to Azzi’s presence on the floor. The starters came out smokin‘ but the team hesitated and readjusted when she came out on the court, probably waiting to see if she was going to score in bunches. When she didn’t they had to find another way to score, especially when Nika went out with two fouls. It‘s a process.

Not sure about having 2 of Ines, Ayanna, and Amari in at the same time. It killed the offense for a while when that happened.

Today was a great first step. Those who are disappointed with the game are expecting too much from a team trying to find itself again. And besides, Georgetown was literally playing for its postseason life. They did have an effect on the game defensively too

Reaction Score
It's a win. Aaliyah played great. Lou was really solid. It was incredible to see Azzi back and finally find her stroke. Dorka was solid and Aubrey decent. Nika had way too many turnovers.

Oh, and there were long stretches where our defense was just terrific. Very nice to see that, and getting out and running. Shades of UCONN from the past!!

Other side note, GREAT seeing so many Georgetown players get into foul trouble in the first quarter. Nice to see the refs finally calling what we've seen all season.

Many will say "who cares? Survive and advance". Sure, but with the bench providing very little, Carole out again, we are back down to 6 players. But hey, at least we aren't Notre Dame. Look at how bad they look ONLY missing their best player. What this team has overcome is incredible.
ND's missing both Miles and Mabrey... no sympathy from me, but it's more than just one player.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
First Back to Back game tomorrow.
Straight to bed for the team.

Tired Good Night GIF by HBO Max

Reaction Score
Thank you to JohnFanta & KimAdams for their total silence when Azzi enetered the game. They let the moment speak for itself & the reception from the UCONN fans was chilling! These professionlas knew there was no need for words.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Today was a great first step. Those who are disappointed with the game are expecting too much from a team trying to find itself again.
Who on earth could be disappointed in this game? Other than Caroline getting hurt, I can’t imagine it having gone better.

Now, I really hope Caroline isn’t seriously hurt.

Reaction Score
The team has to reaquiaint itself to Azzi’s presence on the floor. The starters came out smokin‘ but the team hesitated to readjust when she came out, probably waiting to see if she was going to score in bunches, when she didn’t they had to find another way to score, especially when Nika went out with two fouls. It‘s a process.

Not sure about having 2 of the Ines, Ayanna, and Amari in at the same time. It killed the offense for a while when that happened.

Today was a great first step. Those who are disappointed with the game are expecting too much from a team trying to find itself again. And besides, Georgetown was literally playing for its postseason life. They did have an effect on the game defensively too
The team didn’t come out smoking at all. They went down 4-0 and had a two point lead with Azzi came in. They looked much better with her on the court.

Reaction Score
The team has to reaquiaint itself to Azzi’s presence on the floor. The starters came out smokin‘ but the team hesitated to readjust when she came out, probably waiting to see if she was going to score in bunches, when she didn’t they had to find another way to score, especially when Nika went out with two fouls. It‘s a process.

Not sure about having 2 of Ines, Ayanna, and Amari in at the same time. It killed the offense for a while when that happened.

And it was great to see the Huskies not missing a beat when Nika went out... Azzi got 4 assists in a hurry and the team expanded its lead.

Reaction Score
It was the best of times,(win and move on), and we hope it wasn't the worst of times, (with another injury to Caroline). She did look to be quite chipper with her teammates on the bench,so i would expect everything to be just hunky-dory on that front. I expect our next opponent will see a much improved Uconn next game and that opponent will not be in the final.

Reaction Score
It was a pleasant return to see UConn's offense resemble a bit of its old self, at least in the first half. It took Azzi a few shots to locate her stroke, but it quickly returned. Her game is so efficient and economical.

Poor Caroline, it seems that her head is mistaken for a piñata on the floor. I can't recall another player so frequently struck by errant body parts. It's another cautionary tale not to get too optimistic. One game at a time approach.

After struggling twice this season with Georgetown, UConn quickly removed any doubt as to the outcome. Yes, it is expected, but after the late season trend, hopefully, it is the start of a reversal. This team is too talented, skilled and it showed today by most of the players not trying to do too much and simply staying in their lanes, executing their various skill sets. Of course, having Azzi back makes a profound difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom