Georgetown Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With Juhász and Fudd available to start the Big East tournament, Saturday marked the second game all season where UConn had all 10 players who were able to play this year available to take the floor, with the last time coming Nov. 14 versus Texas.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The way I interpreted Nan's "came out smoking" is that the team had lots of energy, movement was crisp, lots of hustle, etc. The scoring may have been low for the first few minutes, however the difference was that there was a different tone to our team.
This:

COACH AURIEMMA: The first game of the tournament is usually just kind of get your feet wet, get acclimated to postseason play. It's the first game you play all year long where it's one-and-done.

You usually get five, six, seven days off, whatever the case may be. And you're working new people in. So it's never smooth. It's never flawless when you play that first game. Very rarely is it.

And I thought there was a 20-minute stretch there, if you add it all up, where I thought we just played great at both ends of the floor. We did what we wanted to do defensively. We got the ball out in transition the way we wanted to. We found the right people. We made the right decisions.

And it helps when you have people that they have to guard and the ball's going to go in more times than not.

So the final score really, wasn't really important. You just want to get your feet, get your wind and get your legs back and get ready for tomorrow. That's basically it. And try to get some bodies out there and get some rest when you can. So I feel like we accomplished most of that.

Reaction Score
Happy birthday! I hope the Huskies give you a big win tomorrow (and a day after your birthday present of a BE tourney title!).
I got Azzi to sign my hat and got a bunch of photos with the players and CD, so that’s good mojo to me. :cool: A win tomorrow and the BE tourney title on Monday would be the cherry on top!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well, the Big East’s Most Improved Player, Aaliyah Edwards (known as Thor in my circle), came out kicking butt. Unfortunately, some of the contact was against her teammate. Best wishes to Carol! Great game, Liya!

I’ve been an Azzi fan for nearly 6 years. The girl can play, even if her shot is off. The defense is back on their heels when she is on the floor. If she and Lou get hot at the same time, it’s lights out for the opponent.

Reaction Score
Gosh , I hope he is not a fan of UConn wbb. He has displayed notoriously poor taste in friends.
I have no idea who he is. Just heard his name is Kid Rock. Thanks to let me know.

Reaction Score
I had a great time today and it looked like the team did too. ❤ Seems like they heard Geno’s comments loud and clear.

Good hustle, spacing, passing. Lots of good looks even though the ball didn’t always get a nice bounce. Credit to Georgetown they hustled and played hard the whole game and weren’t gonna let us win the game sleepwalking!

Azzi being able to play made all the difference. The team energy was great and looked like the UConn team we all know and love. I hope CD is okay and we won’t need her to play until Monday or maybe even until the Big Dance.

Thankfully we were up big and could put the end of the bench in for some long minutes in the 4Q. It wasn’t necessarily productive with points but I liked their energy and they seemed more confident while playing.

ND only scoring 38 points in a loss to L’Ville shows me that reports of UConn’s demise were greatly exaggerated. We have played sloppy and listless at times it’s true, but despite all of our setbacks both physical and mental, we have done what most teams could not with the same challenges.

Can’t wait for tomorrows game! I am spending the rest of the day at Mohegan Sun to watch the other games this afternoon/tonight.

On a personal note, I turn 35 tomorrow. Geno has been coaching for 38! He’s been the coach of UConn WBB for literally my entire life. It’ll be crazy the day he finally retires … but this is not that day!
Hope we win again on your birthday. And if we do, you’ll be are good luck charm who will have to be at every game for the rest of the year!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Looks like he is a big CT women basketball fan

Glad he didn’t starve due to Napster.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I love the psychological boost from having Azzi back and ten players available. The starters know they’ll get a breather and that they can maybe go for plays that they couldn’t when there are very few subs available.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Great 1st half. The second half I had to follow on my phone. Band had a sound check and dress rehearsal for tonight's dance gig.

Anyway, UConn came out focused and with energy. The defense was smothering. Georgetown got nothing inside and had to throw up a lot of long range bombs with little success. Early rebound edge for the Hoyas disappeared quickly as Aaliyah and Dorka took control.

Offense flowed better than it has in the last couple of weeks. With Azzi and Caroline available, Georgetown could not clog the lane or double team cutters. Well balanced scoring. This is what makes UConn a very dangerous team.

Reaction Score
Any comments on Azzi's special knee brace? ( comment not specifically aimed at Blake)
Today's medical technologies/devices is leaps and bounds ahead of what it was w/regards to after surgery care. Today's knee braces significantly improve the odds of knee stability w/regards to athletes.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Aaliyah and Dorka both went very aggressive to the ball on rebounds. A few games ago, they seemed to hesitate and then possibly fouled. Actually, also have to give the team props on the boards.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Great defense
Great rebounding
Much better on turnovers
Good energy
Great to see Fudd back
Still not shooting great at 38%/25% though. Hopefully that can/will improve
Hoping CFD is not concussed

This is post season, win and advance. Job done.

Reaction Score
So glad to see Azzi back, for her and the team. It completely changes the dynamics of the opponents defense. With her and Lou on the floor at the same time they can not longer afford to double the bigs. GW switches up to a 2/3 zone and Dorka bangs a three what a great reply.
Caroline on the floor after the hit had me with a tear in my eye. :(

Reaction Score
Good game, bit sloppy, bummed Caroline got injured. A couple of player combinations puzzled me- having Inez and Nika in together? Maybe it was to give Inez some game time without putting pressure on her to have 100% of point guard duties. 2nd, there were more than a few times when Aaliyah and Dorka were in together on offense & both were outside- one of them should have been down low. But, good game and welcome back Azzi!
Keep an eye on Inez, she can shoot, would like her to get dom more open shots off to build her confidence!

Reaction Score
So glad to see Azzi back, for her and the team. It completely changes the dynamics of the opponents defense. With her and Lou on the floor at the same time they can not longer afford to double the bigs. GW switches up to a 2/3 zone and Dorka bangs a three what a great reply.
Caroline on the floor after the hit had me with a tear in my eye. :(
Geno said Caroline will try to play tomorrow, hopefully she can play a few mins just to get calmed down about it!

Reaction Score
I will say it. Caroline may need to be shut down for the remainder of the season. The blow today wasn't flush but more of a glancing blow. Yet her reaction to it was scary. As serious as concussions are, I wouldn't take any more chances with Caroline this season. To me, she is too important of a piece going forward next season to jeopardize.

Great win today regardless. I hope we can see more continuity from our bench as the postseason progresses. Welcome back, Azzi!
I agree completely. Another concussion could be career ending for her. Her head—especially the back—seems very tender. Not able to tolerate hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom