Georgetown Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
When Azzi is in the game it seems we run a more controlled/effective offense...less
helter/skelter...this even when her shot is not falling. Her handle is very good...perhaps is a
bit more conservative in her passing than Nika [or even Paige].

Very nice return for Azzie...wouldn't bet against a better show Sunday.

Reaction Score
I had a great time today and it looked like the team did too. ❤ Seems like they heard Geno’s comments loud and clear.

Good hustle, spacing, passing. Lots of good looks even though the ball didn’t always get a nice bounce. Credit to Georgetown they hustled and played hard the whole game and weren’t gonna let us win the game sleepwalking!

Azzi being able to play made all the difference. The team energy was great and looked like the UConn team we all know and love. I hope CD is okay and we won’t need her to play until Monday or maybe even until the Big Dance.

Thankfully we were up big and could put the end of the bench in for some long minutes in the 4Q. It wasn’t necessarily productive with points but I liked their energy and they seemed more confident while playing.

ND only scoring 38 points in a loss to L’Ville shows me that reports of UConn’s demise were greatly exaggerated. We have played sloppy and listless at times it’s true, but despite all of our setbacks both physical and mental, we have done what most teams could not with the same challenges.

Can’t wait for tomorrows game! I am spending the rest of the day at Mohegan Sun to watch the other games this afternoon/tonight.

On a personal note, I turn 35 tomorrow. Geno has been coaching for 38! He’s been the coach of UConn WBB for literally my entire life. It’ll be crazy the day he finally retires … but this is not that day!
Happy birthday! I hope the Huskies give you a big win tomorrow (and a day after your birthday present of a BE tourney title!).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is this the mojo spirit animal for the postseason?

B5CA986F-8EE5-486E-AFD2-BDFFA9248B5E.jpeg

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*Solid win against a team that gave UConn issue during the season.
*The first 3 quarters, UConn looked real good. The 4th q. not so much (probably because the bench players seem to be not comfortable, especially on offense.
*Azzi: her return is like a jolt of energy to the team and with her, UConn actually looked like UConn! we missed that beautiful stroke and her amazing basketball iq.. Welcome back Azzi!!!
*AE: the player of the game. Beast mode and Georgetown could do very little to stop her.
*Dorka: happy that she could play and had a solid game both of offense and defense.
*Lou: some bad fouls but had a solid game. The kid is a scorer.
*Aubrey: don't remember that last time we saw her blocked so many times... had a solid game but needs to re-discover the ability to hit from 3.
*Nika: we can't survive without her as she is the only one handling the ball with confidence. But some of those turnovers are just ridicules.
*CD: i saw enough. poor kid! if she can't play with a helmet, she should not play any more this season. Need to get fully healthy and be ready for next season.
*AP: good rebounder but not good on defense (using hands instead of moving her feet). Will need to work hard in the off season to get some offensive moves.
*Ines: got confidence to try things on the floor which is a good thing. unfortunately, didn't get much results today.
*Amari: no words. just does not contribute much when on the floor.
*UConn's defense was real good for the majority of the game.
*the way the 4th q. went, i was worried we will not score any points in the 4th...would have that been the first ever time that UConn didn't score any points in a quarter?
*It will be interesting in the semifinal against one of the teams that beat UConn in the regular season.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
The team has to reaquiaint itself to Azzi’s presence on the floor. The starters came out smokin‘ but the team hesitated and readjusted when she came out on the court, probably waiting to see if she was going to score in bunches.
The team didn’t come out smoking at all. They went down 4-0 and had a two point lead with Azzi came in. They looked much better with her on the court.
The way I interpreted Nan's "came out smoking" is that the team had lots of energy, movement was crisp, lots of hustle, etc. The scoring may have been low for the first few minutes, however the difference was that there was a different tone to our team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
On a personal note, I turn 35 tomorrow. Geno has been coaching for 38! He’s been the coach of UConn WBB for literally my entire life. It’ll be crazy the day he finally retires … but this is not that day!
Pssh 35…

Celebrate Happy Birthday GIF by CBS

“Happy birthday.”​

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The way I interpreted Nan's "came out smoking" is that the team had lots of energy, movement was crisp, lots of hustle, etc. The scoring may have been low for the first few minutes, however the difference was that there was a different tone to our team.
Thanks for saying it better than I did. When the Huskies play like that from the start, it’s taking the opponent’s best punch and deflecting it. Then the other guys are in scramble mode for the rest of the game. It’s hard to come back on the Huskies, usually, so getting off to a good start is key

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
When Azzi is in the game it seems we run a more controlled/effective offense...less
helter/skelter...this even when her shot is not falling. Her handle is very good...perhaps is a
bit more conservative in her passing than Nika [or even Paige].

Very nice return for Azzie...wouldn't bet against a better show Sunday.
Any comments on Azzi's special knee brace? ( comment not specifically aimed at Blake)

Reactions: mmt

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Having Caroline, Azzi, Ayanna, Ines, and Amari available to come off the bench gave Geno a bunch of options IRT player combinations, rest, etc. Was some of it a bit choppY? Yeah, but in real game situation, it gives him an idea of what may or may not work, and also gives him real time game situation on film to review with all the players, regardless of starters or bench.

I posted in the chat room that it seemed we played much more uptempo today than we had in last 3-4 games. Now, some of this may have been opponents getting back on defense to not allow us to do so, however I also think Geno was playing the odds over the last few games, slowing it down, and not putting any more wear and tear on tired legs. It also helped to have the last 5 days "off", although they practiced, there was no travel, etc to manage.

Reaction Score
But the team didn’t slow down when Azzi came out. It was the opposite from what I saw. That’s when they actually started playing well.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Any comments on Azzi's special knee brace? ( comment not specifically aimed at Blake)
Well, I have two of them somewhere in a closet in CT. For me, they were more a mental support than physical, as the doc said my repaired knees were as good as or better than original. I discarded mine after wearing them at about the 6 month mark.

She's been knocked twice, unintentionally, so if this gives her the mental confidence to go play and not worry about getting hit, then wear it. And, not sure if this is due to our situation with Paige and Azzi, however I'm noticing e a lot more WBB players wearing them this year.

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*Solid win against a team that gave UConn issue during the season.
*The first 3 quarters, UConn looked real good. The 4th q. not so much (probably because the bench players seem to be not comfortable, especially on offense.
*Azzi: her return is like a jolt of energy to the team and with her, UConn actually looked like UConn! we missed that beautiful stroke and her amazing basketball iq.. Welcome back Azzi!!!
*AE: the player of the game. Beast mode and Georgetown could do very little to stop her.
*Dorka: happy that she could play and had a solid game both of offense and defense.
*Lou: some bad fouls but had a solid game. The kid is a scorer.
*Aubrey: don't remember that last time we saw her blocked so many times... had a solid game but needs to re-discover the ability to hit from 3.
*Nika: we can't survive without her as she is the only one handling the ball with confidence. But some of those turnovers are just ridicules.
*CD: i saw enough. poor kid! if she can't play with a helmet, she should not play any more this season. Need to get fully healthy and be ready for next season.
*AP: good rebounder but not good on defense (using hands instead of moving her feet). Will need to work hard in the off season to get some offensive moves.
*Ines: got confidence to try things on the floor which is a good thing. unfortunately, didn't get much results today.
*Amari: no words. just does not contribute much when on the floor.
*UConn's defense was real good for the majority of the game.
*the way the 4th q. went, i was worried we will not score any points in the 4th...would have that been the first ever time that UConn didn't score any points in a quarter?
*It will be interesting in the semifinal against one of the teams that beat UConn in the regular season.

If someone would just teach Griffin a ball/up fake, she'd go to the line 5-6 times a game.
As for ballhandlers, Fudd is rock solid.

Reaction Score
She's been knocked twice, unintentionally, so if this gives her the mental confidence to go play and not worry about getting hit, then wear it. And, not sure if this is due to our situation with Paige and Azzi, however I'm noticing e a lot more WBB players wearing them this year.
If wearing a knee brace can do the same for Azzi as wearing the mask has done for Aaliyah, then the sky's the limit.

Reaction Score
Not a very good shooting day but they still managed to dominate on the scoreboard. This team with Azzi is a much better team than UCONN had on the floor last year at this time so my expectations are higher. I would expect the shooting to get better each game and you saw today the threat of outside shooting opened up the inside game beautifully.

I do hope Caroline is okay. She is like a boxer with a glass jaw but otherwise she plays a physical game and beats the other team up a little along the way. If her shooting comes around even a little bit this team becomes a very difficult team to beat. Once Azzi got into her flow the defense settled down some on Lou which really helps her get some open looks. Really nothing not to like about todays game.

Reaction Score
looks like CD is playing tomorrow. With Azzi back, the trend is definitely up. If Azzi, CD and Lou are around 80% healthy or higher, I like our chances for another Title. No team has been more battle-tested than UConn - much different than past years.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
This is totally OT but I am hoping that many BYers are seeing the same behavior.
Is anyone else only seeing 4 available choices (Like, Love, Laughing, and Wow) when selecting the Like link? It started for me today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom