Geno has to have a short leash on Williams | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno has to have a short leash on Williams

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Let's look at her production in perspective. Perhaps someone has her stats in the games we played ranked teams compared to the lesser competition. I have a hunch she didn't show up in those important games but let's let the numbers speak for themselves. Does anyone have those stats handy?

For the 5 games vs. ranked (at the time) opponents:
Code:
Min  FGM FGA  FG%  3FG 3FGA 3FG%  FT  FTA FT%  ORB DRB TRB   F   A  TO  A/TO Blk Stl Pts
36.6 4.4 13.4 32.8 0.60 3.0 20.0  1.2 2.2 54.5 2.8 4.4 7.2  1.6 0.8 2.4 0.33 0.2 1.0 10.6

You can easily get this info by downloading the 2019-20 pivot table workbook, which allows you to aggregate stats by date(s), opponent(s), venue(s) and other criteria.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
What she does need to do more of immediately is to contribute to the floor game- rebounds, deflections, passes, assists, and defense. Forget about the scoring and it will come back but even if she averages 20 points a game but if those other areas aren't improved upon we aren't improved much as a team with the extra points. That is a big difference between Meg and her. Meg has made herself into an all around player who does these other things quietly but effectively and can be a great passer when she doesn't try to force because she anticipates the movement of her teammates very well. We talked all season about CW not adjusting to her position and role on this team this year but yet she has had All AAC numbers in an admitted down year. For the NCAAs though we need the floor game too and now is the time to start doing it. It's very easy to score in transition on this team. Get downcourt as fast as you can and either CD or Anna will find you!
What specific deficiencies do you see in Christyn's game apart from her shooting percentage? As far as my eyes can report, she is playing very well in all dimensions other than shooting -- especially rebounding.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Again, here is the incredible myopia that seems to exist at this board: first of all< I did not state the CW should be wholly benched, I stated that her minutes should be reduced due to lack of contribution, like any other player who experiences a considerable delta in performance. I don't know why this simple sports process is causing so much heresy here... And no, CW is has not demonstrated herself to be an elite basketball player--she is not even a consistently good player--this year, she has shown sporadic glimpses of being elite. Hey, I do hope that CW pulls out of this, and I am really rooting for her, but she's nowhere near "elite", or a being "key cog".
yeah, it's more than a little unfortunate that we live in a world where people want to ban opinions they don't like; the state of modern academia, I guess. FWIW, to me it seems CW is having a confidence issue, I'm all for letting her play through it - we'll go further if she gets right. There was a play yesterday (they were going left on the TV), when she dribbled into the lane just below the foul line and was surprised to not get picked up tightly. You could literally see her thinking about the 13 footer before she decided not to and threw the ball away. Just looks to be really deep into her own head...

Reaction Score
One thing I often see here is a total disregard for what Geno may be telling the players what role he wants from them and what he wants them to do. If Geno tells her she is the shooter she will be the shooter. I bet he does in the fourth when some other starters are not in the game. To me her defense has improved by leaps and bounds, her movement is much better. Other than not shooting at times when open and the occasional out of control stuff the thing that drives me nuts is she waits for the ball to come to her - from passes or rebounds instead of going to get it. Aubrey got a couple rebounds that were headed directly to CW because she got there first.

Reaction Score
You should be banned from the board for thinking CW should be benched for Aubrey to start. Christyn is a key cog in our offense, Aubrey barely knows the offense. I LOVVVVVVE Aubrey, but she is effective depending on matchups. Christyn is an elite basketball player, Aubrey is an elite athlete who hasn’t learned to play basketball yet.
No one should be banned for having a thought. But, I do agree....Aubrey is not the answer. We have to have Christyn Williams playing like an AA, or we go no where. It is that simple. We have six quality players.....at the NCAA tournament level. We need them all playing the roles they have been groomed for. If Williams is way off and inconsistent, we go down early. But there is no other hand to play. Next year, there will be. Paige can replace her in a minute. But there is a great player bottled up in Williams somewhere.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Trying to open space on my DVR, so I took a look at the game between Oklahoma & UConn Dec. 19, 2018. UConn, #1 at the time, won 70-63. UConn only got a slim lead in the last 5 min of Q4; the point differential was due to intentional fouls in the last seconds, where KLS sank all her FTs. But in the course of the game she made only 1 3pt shot & Crystal couldn't finish anything and had as many 3s as Lou. Megan was coming off a strep throat & contributed little. Only Collier and Williams kept them in the game and put the team in the position to get barely ahead in Q4. Williams' shooting was not all that different from this year (she didn't have a 3 pt touch either), but she kept attacking the basket and finished often enough to make a crucial difference. Probably won't pull her out from under the bus with some fans, but I wanted to give her some props.

I did delete the game, since I don't think I could watch CD & KLS struggling again. Since the game was out of conference, I couldn't remember whether they won or not, so I was on the edge of my seat all over again!

Reaction Score
Re: CW and the announcers

Did I hear the announcers say she had 1500 points through her first 2 years? Or was I mistaken.. I could have sworn they said that... I think they also said Uconn hasn't been a #1 seed since 2006.... That seems way off too.

If she does then I can't see how it's possible she is on pace with Maya Moore who has over 3000 points. She is not even in the conversation with Maya.

Reaction Score
Hello. And you are????? I am sure your resume will make Geno's 35 years of doing this look sad and pathetic.... but why not tell us how you are qualified to determine that CW needs to be on a short "leash".

Coached basketball for 35 years, Geno's resume, not quite but enough to know what I see.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Or Paige next year. CW's problems aren't all physical/talent related, and even though Geno says that now better defenders are guarding her, that's not the problem either.
Do you think it is possible CW has failed to move on from her high school role? Where she was in control of the ball and dictated the action. Perhaps this UCONN "team ball share the ball" style is a problem for her?

Reaction Score
CW's been very inconsistent all year, to say the least. She hasn't adjusted well to be the "focus of the defense", which she didnt have to worry about last year. Her very poor stats against the "good teams" we've played also bear this out. But, all aspects of her game have been mediocre - defense, rebounding, passing, aggressiveness, etc. Maybe it will take her an extra year for her to adjust, but the fact she hasnt shown any improvement over 30 games is very worrisome.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
She plays out of control a lot. I worry about next year without CD; can't imagine her leading the offense. How fast can freshmen get up to speed.
Meg and Ania will be a team leaders next year. Already Ania is giving diections to upper classmen on the court.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
You should be banned from the board for thinking CW should be benched for Aubrey to start. Christyn is a key cog in our offense, Aubrey barely knows the offense. I LOVVVVVVE Aubrey, but she is effective depending on matchups. Christyn is an elite basketball player, Aubrey is an elite athlete who hasn’t learned to play basketball yet.
How many women's fantasy basketball leagues do you participate in? :)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
My starting 5 for our National Championship squad next season is:
Paige
Walker
Westbrook
Anna
Olivia
With Williams coming off the bench for Westbrook or Anna if she continues to play the way she’s been playing.
If she isn't starting then you better have Edwards first off the bench with many minutes. This team needs another tall post on the floor in order to win the NCAA championship. Olivia by herself will not be the answer.

Reaction Score
What specific deficiencies do you see in Christyn's game apart from her shooting percentage? As far as my eyes can report, she is playing very well in all dimensions other than shooting -- especially rebounding.
For starters, she had 1 rebound, no assists, no steals and no blocks against Temple in 37 minutes. I think that speaks for itself. I'm not saying she can't do it, I'm saying she wasn't doing it.

Reaction Score
For starters, she had 1 rebound, no assists, no steals and no blocks against Temple in 37 minutes. I think that speaks for itself. I'm not saying she can't do it, I'm saying she wasn't doing it.
She is better today. More engaged. 1 rebound, 0 assists, 1 block, 1 steal at half. She is moving a lot more. I think we will see even more in the second half because of the movement.

Reaction Score
Trying to open space on my DVR, so I took a look at the game between Oklahoma & UConn Dec. 19, 2018. UConn, #1 at the time, won 70-63. UConn only got a slim lead in the last 5 min of Q4; the point differential was due to intentional fouls in the last seconds, where KLS sank all her FTs. But in the course of the game she made only 1 3pt shot & Crystal couldn't finish anything and had as many 3s as Lou. Megan was coming off a strep throat & contributed little. Only Collier and Williams kept them in the game and put the team in the position to get barely ahead in Q4. Williams' shooting was not all that different from this year (she didn't have a 3 pt touch either), but she kept attacking the basket and finished often enough to make a crucial difference. Probably won't pull her out from under the bus with some fans, but I wanted to give her some props.

I did delete the game, since I don't think I could watch CD & KLS struggling again. Since the game was out of conference, I couldn't remember whether they won or not, so I was on the edge of my seat all over again!
I went to that game with DannyKUConn, remember telling her mother after the game that a Christyn won it for us, and then thanking CW herself. She has it in her. I think it’s just taken a long time for her to digest the whole system and learn to play in it. Looking forward to her thinking less and playing more naturally next year. And hopefully still this year, as coach simplifies things further for the tourney.

Reaction Score
Bueckers, Westbrook or Muhl. Three options.
I watch williams and at times she seems lost on the court. It makes me wonder if she is truly happy at UConn. She looked like a first team all American against Notre Dame last year but has been on a very bumpy road since. She certainly hasn’t lived up to her high school billing.

Reaction Score
I'm probably in the minority here, but I absolutely love Christyn's game. She's a natural. I'm all for keeping her in until she shoots and passes and drives herself out of her malaise, and then giving her a long breather over the summer. She's one of ours, peeps. She's a star.

Reaction Score
I'm probably in the minority here, but I absolutely love Christyn's game. She's a natural. I'm all for keeping her in until she shoots and passes and drives herself out of her malaise, and then giving her a long breather over the summer. She's one of ours, peeps. She's a star.
What about her game do you absolutely love?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom