Geno has to have a short leash on Williams | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Geno has to have a short leash on Williams

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
When I saw Evina's name and the year of experience I was reminded of Z. You may recall as she struggled somewhat in the early part of the year Geno remonstrating that practicing with the team and playing are 2 different animals.

I think Z’s struggles had a lot to do with the fact that she really wanted to be a 6’6” guard and Geno wanted her banging in the paint.

And the fact that she didn’t start, I would argue, goes back to the fact that there wasn’t room in the lineup for her. It’s not like an incoming player got more PT, but that year we were starting Kia, Gabby, Phee, Lou, and Crystal — all proven starters in the UConn system. Geno would have had to bench Gabby or Phee.

Next year, there is an opening in the starting guard rotation and we have one guard who has spent a year in our system. Unless Paige shows up with the maturity and poise that Maya brought in addition to her natural talent, barring injury, Evina will start and Paige will be the first guard off the bench.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think Z’s struggles had a lot to do with the fact that she really wanted to be a 6’6” guard and Geno wanted her banging in the paint.

And the fact that she didn’t start, I would argue, goes back to the fact that there wasn’t room in the lineup for her. It’s not like an incoming player got more PT, but that year we were starting Kia, Gabby, Phee, Lou, and Crystal — all proven starters in the UConn system. Geno would have had to bench Gabby or Phee.

Next year, there is an opening in the starting guard rotation and we have one guard who has spent a year in our system. Unless Paige shows up with the maturity and poise that Maya brought in addition to her natural talent, barring injury, Evina will start and Paige will be the first guard off the bench.

Ah, @Argonaut , this question shall occupy us for many months. You have hit on the key question "poise" but if Paige comes in with swagger and maturity, things she appears to have now, and does not get freshman syndrome, I see her starting at least before the turn of the year and perhaps earlier. Otherwise, how is Geno going to be thanking her for bringing the NCAA championship home to Storrs? :);)

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Ah, @Argonaut , this question shall occupy us for many months. You have hit on the key question "poise" but if Paige comes in with swagger and maturity, things she appears to have now, and does not get freshman syndrome, I see her starting at least before the turn of the year and perhaps earlier. Otherwise, how is Geno going to be thanking her for bringing the NCAA championship home to Storrs? :);)

If we win the NC next year, Paige will play a huge roll regardless of whether or not she’s in the starting lineup. The sixth (wo)man should never be overlooked.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc
Top Bottom