Geno has to have a short leash on Williams | The Boneyard

Geno has to have a short leash on Williams

Reaction Score
Man what a disappointing season for Christyn Willimas. I'm sure Geno will continue to start her, but for the teams sake I hope he has a very short leash for her. She contributed absolutely nothing in the 1st half versus Temple. A bit better in the 2nd, but the game was over by then. Soo much talent is locked up inside her, maybe a psychologist/mental coach is needed.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
OMG. Just after my post on the general thread using the same "leash" language, a new thread on the topic

CW's leash is going to be a lot shorter as we move forward. If she does not show some real good efforts in the playoffs when we need it, not sure a starting position awaits her in her Junior Year.
As Geno says, you cant go with a player if you don't know what you are going to get. At best , she is up and down.

And it has nothing to do with her physical ability so I am not sure you can just train hard in the summer like Megan did. Head bangHead bangHead bang

Reaction Score
Man what a disappointing season for Christyn Willimas. I'm sure Geno will continue to start her, but for the teams sake I hope he has a very short leash for her. She contributed absolutely nothing in the 1st half versus Temple. A bit better in the 2nd, but the game was over by then. Soo much talent is locked up inside her, maybe a psychologist/mental coach is needed.
Good psychology would be start Aubrey in her place .. eh?

Reaction Score
Or Paige next year. CW's problems aren't all physical/talent related, and even though Geno says that now better defenders are guarding her, that's not the problem either.

Reaction Score
I just think she’s thinking too much. She’s gotta play loose. Or maybe she needs a break from basketball. She played all year round with the USA teams and all the training she was doing during the summer. She hasn’t had a break to just relax, idk I’m just guessing. I just know I can’t think of one game where I would’ve given her the badass award this year. Maybe that Notre Dame game last year put so much pressure on her to perform. There will be a lot of scorers next year so now would be the time for her to get it right

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I actually think Geno is going to do everything possible to get Christyn going, because he knows he doesn’t win a championship this year without her playing her best. As an example, late in the game he kept Christyn in and she fired up 3 shots from the arc in like 4 possessions, I’m pretty sure she was under orders from Geno to shoot the ball if she was open. She was 2-5 from 3 tonight, but Geno really wants her to feel like the kid that played at ND last year and couldn’t miss.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm betting he has her continue to play through it. Partly because she's among the horses he rode in on, and partly because she cannot get it back while riding the bench. It is extremely painful to watch the awful passes and shots that are nowhere close, but it's just going to have to play out that way, folks.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm betting he has her continue to play through it. Partly because she's among the horses he rode in on, and partly because she cannot get it back while riding the bench. It is extremely painful to watch the awful passes and shots that are nowhere close, but it's just going to have to play out that way, folks.
"Awful passes"???

I only recall one pass against Temple that could be described that way (in the second quarter, intended for Anna, but went out of bounds). That looked to me like a communication issue (Christyn expected a cut that Anna didn't make), so it's hard to say who was at fault.

Other than that, I don't recall any bloopers by Christyn, either today or in other recent games. Her shooting has certainly been bad, but the rest of her game has looked quite good to me. And we know that shooting badly does not equate to playing badly.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Uh, not until she rediscovers her outside shot. I am guessing that next season teams will be quite aware of her always going to the rim with or without the ball.

Reaction Score
"Awful passes"???

I only recall one pass against Temple that could be described that way (in the second quarter, intended for Anna, but went out of bounds). That looked to me like a communication issue (Christyn expected a cut that Anna didn't make), so it's hard to say who was at fault.

Other than that, I don't recall any bloopers by Christyn, either today or in other recent games. Her shooting has certainly been bad, but the rest of her game has looked quite good to me. And we know that shooting badly does not equate to playing badly.
It's not so much the shooting, shooters can always shoot their way out of a slump, although she has her share of air balls and missed bunnies. It's the poor decisions she makes when the ball is in her hands.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Uh, not until she rediscovers her outside shot. I am guessing that next season teams will be quite aware of her always going to the rim with or without the ball.
Watching the game live, and recognizing the outstanding contribution that Aubrey made to the final outcome, it was still painfully obvious that no Temple defender was going to bother to guard her except when she was right under the basket (and then they would always foul). But if she was even 6 or 8 feet away, the only thing they worried about (not very successfully) was preventing her from getting closer.

It's tough (against better competition than Temple) to have a player on the floor who poses zero offensive threat unless she is close enough to the net to kiss it.

Reaction Score
Some of you people need to come back to Earth! Is Williams struggling this year? Yes, but NOWHERE near as much as some posters would lead you to believe! She is averaging 15/5/2, those are damn respectable numbers! She was 1st team All AAC, and she will start and play damn near play 40mins EVERY game the rest of the way! To suggest that the team would be better off with Griffin starting is just utterly absurd!

Reaction Score
Williams is the starter. Hopefully her game will improve as the games become more significant.
Aubrey Griffin has not exhibited any outside shot at all to this point to warrant her starting. As a first year player she doing a great job by rebounding and getting layups.

Reaction Score
Some of you people need to come back to Earth! Is Williams struggling this year? Yes, but NOWHERE near as much as some posters would lead you to believe! She is averaging 15/5/2, those are damn respectable numbers! She was 1st team All AAC, and she will start and play damn near play 40mins EVERY game the rest of the way! To suggest that the team would be better off with Griffin starting is just utterly absurd!
I agree. Next year Geno will have options at the guard spot if Christyn continues to struggle. Right now his only option at that position is Molly Bent. Next year that option will be Paige Bueckers. That's a world of difference, and an embarrassment of riches when your first guard off the bench is the number one recruit in the class of 2020.

Reaction Score
I agree that she’s not really having a down year. I think she’s have an okay or mediocre year. Those numbers aren’t really striking against AAC competition. I’m not trying to be mean or come off as harsh. She’s doing fine, I think we all just expected her to be a little better I guess. A lot of us expected her to be the team’s leader this season and not Megan.

Reaction Score
Some of you people need to come back to Earth! Is Williams struggling this year? Yes, but NOWHERE near as much as some posters would lead you to believe! She is averaging 15/5/2, those are damn respectable numbers! She was 1st team All AAC, and she will start and play damn near play 40 mins EVERY game the rest of the way! To suggest that the team would be better off with Griffin starting is just utterly absurd!
I'm sorry but yes CW is struggling very much as posters are stating--those numbers you are referencing are fattened by the fact that Geno is playing CW nearly the whole game to help her regain her confidence and she's getting a lot of her points in garbage time against inferior talent while the other starters have long gone to the bench. Yes, I am very much suggesting the team would be better off if CW's minutes were reduced and Griffin were allowed to play more.... she could put up almost the same amount of points, more rebounds, more steals, more hustle plays... I don't see the absurdity in that..

Reaction Score
"Awful passes"???

I'm not sure what games you've been watching, but today she charged down the lane with nowhere to go and threw the ball away. Nobody's fault but Christyn's. She's made other plays like that recently.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Let's look at her production in perspective. Perhaps someone has her stats in the games we played ranked teams compared to the lesser competition. I have a hunch she didn't show up in those important games but let's let the numbers speak for themselves. Does anyone have those stats handy?

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but yes CW is struggling very much as posters are stating--those numbers you are referencing are fattened by the fact that Geno is playing CW nearly the whole game to help her regain her confidence and she's getting a lot of her points in garbage time against inferior talent while the other starters have long gone to the bench. Yes, I am very much suggesting the team would be better off if CW's minutes were reduced and Griffin were allowed to play more.... she could put up almost the same amount of points, more rebounds, more steals, more hustle plays... I don't see the absurdity in that..
Yes, Aubrey is a 'difference maker' whereas CW is NOT .. because Aubrey infuses the Huskies with optimism and energy which doesn't show up on the stat sheet! For example, Geno has said that Aubrey seems to get her hand on almost every ball; do deflections and disruptions show up on the stat sheet? See what I mean ...

Reaction Score
Williams is the starter. Hopefully her game will improve as the games become more significant.
Aubrey Griffin has not exhibited any outside shot at all to this point to warrant her starting. As a first year player she doing a great job by rebounding and getting layups.
Why does Aubrey need an outside shot in order to start. Live doesn't. "Let me count the ways" that Aubrey contributes to winning ... :)

Reaction Score
Or Paige next year. CW's problems aren't all physical/talent related, and even though Geno says that now better defenders are guarding her, that's not the problem either.
Let's look at her production in perspective. Perhaps someone has her stats in the games we played ranked teams compared to the lesser competition. I have a hunch she didn't show up in those important games but let's let the numbers speak for themselves. Does anyone have those stats handy?
It would take 10 minutes at the very most to compile them yourself.

Reaction Score

WRONG, Williams averages the EXACT same minutes played as Dangerfield, and only 1 minute more/game than Walker! But hey, don't let FACTS and STATS get in the way of your argument!

Reaction Score
CW will figure it out. And she’s having a good year as is everyone else. The problem is our lack of depth. This is their figure it out year. Next year they will be more sure of themselves. They are doing good for a learning year. Possibly a final four while learning and a title next year. That’s how Ive always seen this year. I also think there’s a very slim chance we could squeeze a title in this year with some luck.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom