Geno has to have a short leash on Williams | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Geno has to have a short leash on Williams

Reaction Score
What about her game do you absolutely love?

She has the IT factor possessed by Anna, Aubrey, and Megan, a certain artistry on the court, that, when it's grooving, reminds me why I love to watch basketball, and distinguishes her, and them, from others who contribute with grittiness and hard work. It's just dormant this season. It's coming back. Have a little faith.

Reaction Score
I think, perhaps, that a bit too much has been expected of Christyn this season, after a very good frosh season. A bit of perspective may be needed. Looking at her season so far, it's just not all that bad. 14.5 points, 4.8 rebounds, and 2.3 assists while shooting 45%. Yes, after a 21 POINTS, 9 REBOUNDS game against Baylor, her games against SC and Oregon were not good. But, overall against the better OOC teams she was 13,6, and 2. And she is going to go over 1000 points early next season. For some reason she has become a pass-the-ball first player, and don't understand why. Perhaps the coaches have really been pushing her to improve her defense and increase her assists, and maybe that has caused her to just think too much. Still, in her defense, she's in pretty good company scoring over 900 points in her first 2 seasons, she continues to be a very good rebounder for her size, her defense has improved considerably, and, when playing within herself, is one of the best penetrators on the team. And, not unimportantly, she is but a 2nd year player. People here generally believe that Geno is a pretty good coach, so I would encourage you all to have the same confidence in Christyn that he obviously has in her in playing her the minutes that he plays her.

Reaction Score
I think, perhaps, that a bit too much has been expected of Christyn this season, after a very good frosh season. A bit of perspective may be needed. Looking at her season so far, it's just not all that bad. 14.5 points, 4.8 rebounds, and 2.3 assists while shooting 45%. Yes, after a 21 POINTS, 9 REBOUNDS game against Baylor, her games against SC and Oregon were not good. But, overall against the better OOC teams she was 13,6, and 2. And she is going to go over 1000 points early next season. For some reason she has become a pass-the-ball first player, and don't understand why. Perhaps the coaches have really been pushing her to improve her defense and increase her assists, and maybe that has caused her to just think too much. Still, in her defense, she's in pretty good company scoring over 900 points in her first 2 seasons, she continues to be a very good rebounder for her size, her defense has improved considerably, and, when playing within herself, is one of the best penetrators on the team. And, not unimportantly, she is but a 2nd year player. People here generally believe that Geno is a pretty good coach, so I would encourage you all to have the same confidence in Christyn that he obviously has in her in playing her the minutes that he plays her.
Yes, very true, but it is important to remember that she is the first one to say that she is not happy with her game this year. As she said yesterday after the game, she has to be more "engaged" in the game which is all that several of us have been saying. She was a lot better at it yesterday. We can't just have her as a scorer, it's not enough this year because we are a smaller, less physical team that is not deep. She also had the "light go on" about defense into offense so I think she is in the best place she has been all season right now. She is a great player and the posts about her not starting this year or next are way off the mark. I though Meg wasn't "engaged" last year either as a whole but look at the difference one year has made. CW is a very self-possessed young woman who is a very accurate self-analyzer. Having an off year and averaging almost 15 a game and making first team all AAC tells you what the upside is. She just had to adjust a lot this year and is doing it much better at it now than before.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I watch williams and at times she seems lost on the court. It makes me wonder if she is truly happy at UConn.
Winner winner chicken dinner!!!!

Now there have been some ridiculous takes on Williams in this thread (@BostonBay , @SVCBeercats , @BBallF , @Jingo and of course the one and only @Cornell Lt who started this mess), but you sir (or madam) have taken the cake. Well done.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well I guess someone posted the link to this thread to CW's locker before the game tonight as she has played the first half against Cincy with a vengeance. Tonight has been beast mode-Keep it up Christyn!!! :)

Reaction Score
Winner winner chicken dinner!!!!

Now there have been some ridiculous takes on Williams in this thread (@BostonBay , @SVCBeercats , @BBallF , @Jingo and of course the one and only @Cornell Lt who started this mess), but you sir (or madam) have taken the cake. Well done.

Some people wouldn't know the truth is if was standing right in front of them. But go ahead and believe what you want.

Today CW showed what she's capable of. Lets hope it continues.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ok CW. Kill

1583802346727.png

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Nice Job for the whole game tonight for Christyn- 22 pts, 9-13 shooting, 2-4 from 3 pt land, 8 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 assist and NO turnovers. I liked how she finished at the rim on the layups with her body tonight. Overall, the ball movement by the team helped open up much of the floor. The top 6 players confidence was oozing tonight.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice Job for the whole game tonight for Christyn- 22 pts, 9-13 shooting, 2-4 from 3 pt land, 8 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 assist and NO turnovers. I liked how she finished at the rim on the layups with her body tonight. Overall, the ball movement by the team helped open up much of the floor. The top 6 players confidence was oozing tonight.

It boggles the mind how a player so physically strong and gifted can have some invisible games. But she is playing so well now and her defense has been the best it has ever been and boy did she fight hard on the boards. Time to make others feel your pain Christyn. ;)

Reaction Score

Them sweat moppers must have been busy. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
My starting 5 for our National Championship squad next season is:
Paige
Walker
Westbrook
Anna
Olivia
With Williams coming off the bench for Westbrook or Anna if she continues to play the way she’s been playing.
You really think a freshman is going to start over a junior? Man please

Reaction Score
It boggles the mind how a player so physically strong and gifted can have some invisible games. But she is playing so well now and her defense has been the best it has ever been and boy did she fight hard on the boards. Time to make others feel your pain Christyn. ;)
Some of us at times forget that UConn is not the only team with exceptional defensive minded athletes. When these assets are targeted on CW or Megan, they will not always have their best games. With all due respect to Kyla, her lack of offense also gave other teams the ability to double on our shooters. Now that we have Anna passing, shooting 3's and cutting, suspect things will be different.

Reaction Score
You really think a freshman is going to start over a junior? Man please
I agree. It will be CW, Evina ( assuming no further knee issues), MW. AM, and Liv. Coming in first will be Paige, AG, and Edwards and don't underestimate Nika or Mir. He can also play Piath for the big body. Let's not get crazy about Paige though. Remember the GOAT's freshman year? Geno said the only freshman who came in like a returning upper classmen ready to play was Maya. Also, look at the Evina films. She is top shelf and a scoring point and she has the eye of the tiger. Many of us are overlooking her. Next year's team could turn out to be the greatest passing team ever in the history of womens college BBall....... except for the year after next..........and if Azzi comes there will have to new words invented.

Reaction Score
I agree. It will be CW, Evina ( assuming no further knee issues), MW. AM, and Liv. Coming in first will be Paige, AG, and Edwards and don't underestimate Nika or Mir. He can also play Piath for the big body. Let's not get crazy about Paige though. Remember the GOAT's freshman year? Geno said the only freshman who came in like a returning upper classmen ready to play was Maya. Also, look at the Evina films. She is top shelf and a scoring point and she has the eye of the tiger. Many of us are overlooking her. Next year's team could turn out to be the greatest passing team ever in the history of womens college BBall....... except for the year after next..........and if Azzi comes there will have to new words invented.
"You really think a freshman is going to start over a junior?" Well now, three freshman 'start' at #1 S Carolina. Say what?

Reaction Score
"You really think a freshman is going to start over a junior?" Well now, three freshman 'start' at #1 S Carolina. Say what?
Who are they starting over at SC? Players as good as Anna, Evina or CW?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
By starting Kyla over Anna or Aubrey for that stretch this year, Geno showed that experience with the program can outweigh pure talent.

Next year, we'll have both experience and talent to come off of the bench, and then more talent on top of it.

If Paige was a freshman this year, I think she would likely be our fifth starter. But with Evina and Anna having a year of program experience under their belts, as you're trying to set the pace of the game, it seems like that experience will mean a lot.

As we saw this year before Geno made the switch back to Anna, pay attention to when players are subbing into the game more so than who is on the floor when the first whistle blows. When Anna started coming in a few minutes after the game started, we saw the change was on the horizon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Her game last night was more of what we expect - effort all night. I am going to disagree with folks who say that she has "turned a corner." Her effort (on paper) looks decent in the last third of the season, but let's face it the teams were sub-par or many points came after the result had been decided. When she consistently plays well in the big games (OR, SC, Baylor, etc) I might agree with her strong supporters.

Reaction Score
I am referring to UConn’s system and how long it takes freshman to get acclimated to. I suppose CW is just going to go home and eat all summer and not work on her game or progress? Lol

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Her game last night was more of what we expect - effort all night. I am going to disagree with folks who say that she has "turned a corner." Her effort (on paper) looks decent in the last third of the season, but let's face it the teams were sub-par or many points came after the result had been decided. When she consistently plays well in the big games (OR, SC, Baylor, etc) I might agree with her strong supporters.

might? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
By starting Kyla over Anna or Aubrey for that stretch this year, Geno showed that experience with the program can outweigh pure talent.

Next year, we'll have both experience and talent to come off of the bench, and then more talent on top of it.

If Paige was a freshman this year, I think she would likely be our fifth starter. But with Evina and Anna having a year of program experience under their belts, as you're trying to set the pace of the game, it seems like that experience will mean a lot.

As we saw this year before Geno made the switch back to Anna, pay attention to when players are subbing into the game more so than who is on the floor when the first whistle blows. When Anna started coming in a few minutes after the game started, we saw the change was on the horizon.

When I saw Evina's name and the year of experience I was reminded of Z. You may recall as she struggled somewhat in the early part of the year Geno remonstrating that practicing with the team and playing are 2 different animals.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom