Geno and team meet with Media (10/8)- First Practice [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno and team meet with Media (10/8)- First Practice [merged thread]

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Post Of the Day. That statement tells me two things.
1. Aaliyah is well on her way to making a notable sophomore leap. 2. She wants to play. She’s a year older and more mature.

She knows the players and the plays. Having been around the block once last year, she knows what’s coming and what to expect. We don’t have to be concerned about her. She’ll be ready to play when the ref throws the ball up at mid-court to begin the season.

It will be interesting to find out what other players have made significant improvements over the summer.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Post Of the Day. That statement tells me two things.
1. Aaliyah is well on her way to making a notable sophomore leap. 2. She wants to play. She’s a year older and more mature.

She knows the players and the plays. Having been around the block once last year, she knows what’s coming and what to expect. We don’t have to be concerned about her. She’ll be ready to play when the ref throws the ball up at mid-court to begin the season.

It will be interesting to find out what other players have made significant improvements over the summer.
But Geno did say that international experience did not allow alot of practice time and he felt she is still catching up conditioning wise.

Carnac

Reaction Score
But Geno did say that international experience did not allow alot of practice time and he felt she is still catching up conditioning wise.
The conditioning will come. Remember, she’s played in regulation basketball games since her teammates have. I’m suggesting that the time she spent with the Canadian National Team served her well. She practiced and played against grown women and professionals.

She didn’t spend the summer laying on a beach working on a tan while sipping Long Island iced tea. She was putting in work that helped not only her physical game, but her mental maturity and approach as well.

Reaction Score
The conditioning will come. Remember, she’s played in regulation basketball games since her teammates have. I’m suggesting that the time she spent with the Canadian National Team served her well. She practiced and played against grown women and professionals.

She didn’t spend the summer laying on a beach working on a tan while sipping Long Island iced tea. She was putting in work that helped not only her physical game, but her mental maturity and approach as well.
correct if I'm wrong but did she even get any meaningful playing time in the games? Now if she had gotten that experience I'd say yes that is huge, but she basically rode the bench and not to mention the team was a dissapointment, not even getting out of the quarterfinals.

Reaction Score
(53) Geno Auriemma: UConn Women's Basketball Practice Availability - 10/8/21 - YouTube

The Yin Yang between Geno and Paige is really remarkable.

Hardest worker, wins all competitions but is still as annoying as ever. I could see Geno and Azzi agreeing on that.
I totally appreciate the relationship Geno and Paige have. It's very refreshing. The mutual respect is obvious and has been mentioned numerous times in game broadcasts, in articles and by comments made by both. He picks on her, she pulls his chain, and they both thoroughly enjoy it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She didn’t spend 5-6 weeks in the summer with Andrea Hudy. Sue and Dee still talk about how tough Hudy was when they were at UConn.

Reaction Score

That's what I did. I don't know that it did anything for me physically either, but it sure helped to develop my mental maturity. I mean, as far as can be reasonably expected.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Based on what Geno said, I think it is pretty clear the returning players who played major minutes and has alot of experience though difficult times including the playoffs has a significant edge regarding who starts but starters will be much more quickly subbed which is a good thing since it forces players to be productive and efficient to make the desired impact with less minutes.

So I think it will be starters

Paige , Evina , CW , Liv , Aaliyah

Major rotation players

Azzi , Nika , Dorka, Caroline and hopefully?? (health / progress) Aubrey

Bench role

Piath. Saylor, Amari, McClean.

Reaction Score
That was my thought as well. Geno has a good relationship with the Q coach. The counter to that is if you're going to have a private scrimmage against a D1 team you might want that team to provide a bit of a challenge and I'm not sure Q does that.

BC is another possibility though not sure about the relationship with that staff.
Rutgers?

Carnac

Reaction Score
That was going to be my next choice after Princeton. I think Geno has a good relationship with C_V_S.
I remember Geno once saying that he always has a good number of schools that want to play UConn in the preseason. Some of those are smaller programs feel if they could get on the schedule, it would bring them some national attention that they couldn’t otherwise buy. Playing UConn could be used as a recruiting tool.

Don’t forget, there are households across the country that tune in to UConn WBB games on TV. Some of them have up and coming future (hopefuls) female basketball players. So now when (if) these girls receives a letter of interest from that mid-major program, they will have heard of it because they remember seeing them play UConn on TV.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I've thought all along that Saylor should be more of a 3-4 type than a 2-3 type. A season under the tutelage of CD and Jamelle should work wonders. Very unlikely, but I'd love to see her take a few sessions with Alex Blazzell.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
So now when (if) these girls receives a letter of interest from that mid-major program, they will have heard of it because they remember seeing them play UConn on TV.
If UConn plays a D1 program preseason the game will not be televised. It must be closed to outsiders (TV, Radio and spectators per NCAA regs). That's why the preseson games are always vs D2 or D3 teams. So, no one will remember seeing their mid major D1 team play UConn in a preseason game (scrimmage).

Reaction Score
If UConn plays a D1 program preseason the game will not be televised. It must be closed to outsiders (TV, Radio and spectators per NCAA regs). That's why the preseson games are always vs D2 or D3 teams. So, no one will remember seeing their mid major D1 team play UConn in a preseason game (scrimmage).
Trust me, there is always someone there with a phone or a camera who is going to record it. I have watched many games and sporting practices that were "closed door" in many different sports, most in USWNT practices and NWSL preseason games with simple MPEG videos sent to me by someone with a phone or camera. Young athletes record and share these games among each other, but not necessarily for the rest of us. Kids have networks, and they share things. YouTube, TV and radio don't get a voice.

Reaction Score

After 2 or 3 Long Island ice tea’s getting up from the beach chair is a lot harder than it looks. It takes effort and perseverance. Trust me I know.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
A conference foe? Not so sure. I'm guessing a team within driving distance.
I tend to agree with you on both and if I take it a step further, my guess would be Boston College as the scrimmage would benefit both immensely. Nobody else in a reasonable driving distance makes sense.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think you misunderstood my comment, or perhaps I didn’t phrase it properly. I understand the dynamics involved when two programs want to play a “scrimmage“, and the restrictions the NCAA puts on them.

My comment regarding Geno saying that there were/are a lot of teams that have made it know to him or to the basketball office, that they would be interested in playing UConn was in a regulation out of conference game with fans and media, not a scrimmage.

I read my post again. I can see were someone could have misunderstood the message I was trying to convey, because it was written behind a post that was referring to scrimmages. I should have made the distinction that I was referring to preseason “games”, not scrimmages.

I had to read your post several times before it clicked. All of UConn’s preseason games this season are against D1 programs, will have spectators and will be televised. You wrote “preseason.” Didn’t you mean “scrimmage“? I understand the gist of your comment.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom