Geno and team meet with Media (10/8)- First Practice [merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Geno and team meet with Media (10/8)- First Practice [merged thread]

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I tend to agree with you on both and if I take it a step further, my guess would be Boston College as the scrimmage would benefit both immensely. Nobody else in a reasonable driving distance makes sense.
I am curious about the secrecy of this D1 opponent. I do not believe there is an NCAA rule that a D1 v D1 preseason scrimmage cannot be disclosed beforehand. My understanding was that it simply had to be closed and without TV and maybe without score keeping. But keeping the opponent secret is odd and makes me think it might be something a little more special than just another NE college.

Reaction Score
Somehow I don't think the secret will last for long....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I am curious about the secrecy of this D1 opponent. I do not believe there is an NCAA rule that a D1 v D1 preseason scrimmage cannot be disclosed beforehand. My understanding was that it simply had to be closed and without TV and maybe without score keeping. But keeping the opponent secret is odd and makes me think it might be something a little more special than just another NE college.
Geno taking the "without publicity" part seriously.

"According to NCAA rules passed in 2005, Division I members can trade one or both of their allotted exhibition games against non-D-I opponents for a scrimmage “provided they are conducted in privacy without publicity or official scoring. Individuals other than athletics department staff members and those necessary to conduct a basketball scrimmage against outside competition may not be present during such a scrimmage.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

If you look in the video you get a shot of sailor working on moves just under the basket.

That surprises me, but who am I to question Geno. It reminds me of the move Gabby Williams to the front Court. I thought to myself, well that’s probably not gonna work.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If you look in the video you get a shot of sailor working on moves just under the basket.
That surprises me, but who am I to question Geno. It reminds me of the move Gabby Williams to the front Court. I thought to myself, well that’s probably not gonna work.
Saylor playing in the post is surprising to me because of the addition of Dorka and Amari and the two post players arriving next season. Very much like Gabby though Saylor could bring a lot to the post position. For starters Saylor is a legit 6'2" and is a terrific passer and if she ever gets her back right could be a reliable deep shooter. BTW since no one else has mentioned this that is a very bad start for Amari-who appears to have failed her conditioning test upon her arrival on campus. Last player to struggle with conditioning upon her arrival to UCONN never recovered.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
BTW since no one else has mentioned this that is a very bad start for Amari-who appears to have failed her conditioning test upon her arrival on campus. Last player to struggle with conditioning upon her arrival to UCONN never recovered.
Amari's teammates and especially her incoming class mates will help her out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
(53) Geno Auriemma: UConn Women's Basketball Practice Availability - 10/8/21 - YouTube

The Yin Yang between Geno and Paige is really remarkable.

Hardest worker, wins all competitions but is still as annoying as ever. I could see Geno and Azzi agreeing on that.
Caroline will have a “prominent” role on the team. Sneaky good and efficient.

Paige is more efficient but she hasn’t grown up. Gotten a little bigger, a little more comfortable. Hardest worker on the team… at everything.

Azzi will show her skills a little at a time.

Evina wants to see what she can do on this team with a full healthy season.

Something to be said with having the same kids out there for a long period of time, but having quality on the bench makes players up their game.

Competition in the post head pushed Liv to up her game, particularly away from the basket. Bringing Dorka in helps Liv and Edwards. Dorka is skilled, long but still has nervous energy. She could be the difference that takes them to the next level

Freedman will be in for a treat coming out into a packed Gampel. CD will be dressing up again.

Scrimmage is a D1 game.

Reaction Score
Caroline will have a “prominent” role on the team. Sneaky good and efficient.

Paige is more efficient but she hasn’t grown up. Gotten a little bigger, a little more comfortable. Hardest worker on the team… at everything.

Azzi will show her skills a little at a time.

Evina wants to see what she can do on this team with a full healthy season.

Something to be said with having the same kids out there for a long period of time, but having quality on the bench makes players up their game.

Competition in the post head pushed Liv to up her game, particularly away from the basket. Bringing Dorka in helps Liv and Edwards. Dorka is skilled, long but still has nervous energy. She could be the difference that takes them to the next level

Freedman will be in for a treat coming out into a packed Gampel. CD will be dressing up again.

Scrimmage is a D1 game.
Freedman?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I'm guessing the scrimmage will be against Q.
A few years back Q made it to the sweet 16. I think they were a 12 seed and went out and knocked off a 4 and a 5.
One of their opponents was Miami. Geno was all into those upsets...he wore a Q t-shirt at one point and was quick to publicly root for them. If it is the same coach there [not sure about that] I bet it is them. A different coach might lower the odds.

Reaction Score
Saylor playing in the post is surprising to me because of the addition of Dorka and Amari and the two post players arriving next season. Very much like Gabby though Saylor could bring a lot to the post position. For starters Saylor is a legit 6'2" and is a terrific passer and if she ever gets her back right could be a reliable deep shooter. BTW since no one else has mentioned this that is a very bad start for Amari-who appears to have failed her conditioning test upon her arrival on campus. Last player to struggle with conditioning upon her arrival to UCONN never recovered.
Somehow I bet Dolson didn't pass her first conditioning test either and look at what she managed to do over 4 years.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Somehow I bet Dolson didn't pass her first conditioning test either and look at what she managed to do over 4 years.
That would be a losing bet and an entirely different situation. Dolson had only Heather Buck playing in front of her in the post yet Dolson was in good enough shape to be starting by the second game of the season which was a matchup and a UCONN win against #2 Baylor with Brittney Griner & Odyssey Simms.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I'm guessing the scrimmage will be against Q.
A few years back Q made it to the sweet 16. I think they were a 12 seed and went out and knocked off a 4 and a 5.
One of their opponents was Miami. Geno was all into those upsets...he wore a Q t-shirt at one point and was quick to publicly root for them. If it is the same coach there [not sure about that] I bet it is them. A different coach might lower the odds.
Q's coach is still Tricia Fabbri. Been there as head coach since sometime before 2000 I think.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Where did you get info that she failed her conditioning test?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
correct if I'm wrong but did she even get any meaningful playing time in the games? Now if she had gotten that experience I'd say yes that is huge, but she basically rode the bench and not to mention the team was a dissapointment, not even getting out of the quarterfinals.
OK, so what's your argument here? I said: " That statement tells me two things.
1. Aaliyah is well on her way to making a notable sophomore leap. 2. She wants to play. She’s a year older and more mature.

She knows the players and the plays. Having been around the block once last year, she knows what’s coming and what to expect. We don’t have to be concerned about her. She’ll be ready to play when the ref throws the ball up at mid-court to begin the season".

What part of my comment do you have a problem with? It's pretty much generic. What difference does it make whether she got any playing time or not. She practiced and played with the Canadian National Team. How does THAT fact bring her down, or put her behind the other players? Practicing and plying with professionals older than you can only help your development, not retard it. While she was with the CNT, what were her teammates doing?

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In addition to @Vowelguy response Azzi also mentioned it in her presser "before 1st practice" that Amari is behind and has some catching up to do.
Is this something we should be concerned about? Amari has been on campus since August 28-29, roughly 6 weeks. She's had plenty of time as have her teammates, to get into shape to pass that conditioning test. Is this an "anomaly", or is this something that's going to linger throughout the season? Was Amari the only player that failed to pass her conditioning test? It appears so. No mention was made of any other player failing to pass their test. Geno won't play her if she can't run and keep up with the other 4 players on the court.

The last player I remember that had conditioning challenges was Lexi Gordon. She never played more than 3 minutes during garbage time. She was at the very end of the bench depth wise. Usually the last player to enter the game. She became a starter at Tech, and had a fair amount of success. If you remember she transferred during the holiday break her sophomore year to Texas Tech. She is now a graduate player at Duke.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
First Amari is the prime suspect in the messy dorm room scandal and now this. :eek::rolleyes:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Is this something we should be concerned about? Amari has been on campus since August 28-29, roughly 6 weeks. She's had plenty of time as have her teammates, to get into shape to pass that conditioning test. Is this an "anomaly", or is this something that's going to linger throughout the season? Was Amari the only player that failed to pass her conditioning test? It appears so. No mention was made of any other player failing to pass their test. Geno won't play her if she can't run and keep up with the other 4 players on the court.

The last player I remember that had conditioning challenges was Lexi Gordon. She never played more than 3 minutes during garbage time. She was at the very end of the bench depth wise. Usually the last player to enter the game. She became a starter at Tech, and had a fair amount of success. If you remember she transferred during the holiday break her sophomore year to Texas Tech. She is now a graduate player at Duke.
I believe that Geno had said something early Sept about Amari having an ankle issue and this might be why she didn't pass her conditioning test.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom