Geno and team meet with Media (10/8)- First Practice [merged thread] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Geno and team meet with Media (10/8)- First Practice [merged thread]

Reaction Score
That would be a losing bet and an entirely different situation. Dolson had only Heather Buck playing in front of her in the post yet Dolson was in good enough shape to be starting by the second game of the season which was a matchup and a UCONN win against #2 Baylor with Brittney Griner & Odyssey Simms.
Umm. My comment was made in a positive way towards Stef in how she ended her UConn career compared to how she started. She made an amazing transformation. So don't worry about Amari.

Now back to Dolson. Let's not look back with our glasses too rose colored. They did have Maya Moore and Dolson spent most of that freshman year in foul trouble with fouling out several times but you're right they didn't have any other real options. They can afford for Amari to fail a conditioning test with the team they have.... I actually think Amari will end up 14th on the depth chart this year and that will be ok for her. She'll learn a lot in practice and get into much better shape for next year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I believe that Geno had said something early Sept about Amari having an ankle issue and this might be why she didn't pass her conditioning test.
OK, thanks very much Serg. I didn't know about that. I was not able to stay up on everything in the yard for about 2-3 weeks. Very busy with personal and household matters. I'm not as concerned now. :)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
OK, thanks very much Serg. I didn't know about that. I was not able to stay up on everything in the yard for about 2-3 weeks. Very busy with personal and household matters. I'm not as concerned now. :)
I believe it happened during the FIBA U19 World Cup and it was one of the reasons why she had limited playing time. I hope everything gets better with your troubles and concerns.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Saylor playing in the post is surprising to me because of the addition of Dorka and Amari and the two post players arriving next season. Very much like Gabby though Saylor could bring a lot to the post position. For starters Saylor is a legit 6'2" and is a terrific passer and if she ever gets her back right could be a reliable deep shooter. BTW since no one else has mentioned this that is a very bad start for Amari-who appears to have failed her conditioning test upon her arrival on campus. Last player to struggle with conditioning upon her arrival to UCONN never recovered.
In addition to Saylor being a legit 6-2 and a great passer: she's strong and a very good rebounder (averaged almost as many rebounds as points with USA basketball). She also spent half her time on offense and all her time on defense in high school playing under the basket. She can give opposing 4's a heckuva time with her mobility, passing, and shooting, and opposing 3's a dickens of a time with her size and strength.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Umm. My comment was made in a positive way towards Stef in how she ended her UConn career compared to how she started. She made an amazing transformation. So don't worry about Amari.

Now back to Dolson. Let's not look back with our glasses too rose colored. They did have Maya Moore and Dolson spent most of that freshman year in foul trouble with fouling out several times but you're right they didn't have any other real options. They can afford for Amari to fail a conditioning test with the team they have.... I actually think Amari will end up 14th on the depth chart this year and that will be ok for her. She'll learn a lot in practice and get into much better shape for next year.
Uhm...I'm worried about Amari and will remain so because clearly I had higher expectations for her than you did this season. My expectation were that she would be part of the 4 person post rotation along with ONO. Aaliyah & Dorka. Amari has the skills to be definitely ahead of Mir and Piath in the post rotation. Obviously she can overcome a failed conditioning test but this is not a very good way to start. 14th on the depth chart on a 14 person roster? Why such low expectations for Amari considering she was the top rated post player in her class? It is never ok for a UCONN player to fail against established goals.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No. They have and ex-Quse.
Can someone help me with this mystery DI scrimmage. Why all the secrecy? I get the closed scrimmage part that is actually an NCAA rule, but why the secrecy about the opponent and the date?

Reaction Score
Can someone help me with this mystery DI scrimmage. Why all the secrecy? I get the closed scrimmage part that is actually an NCAA rule, but why the secrecy about the opponent and the date?
Geno was gonna tell us the date, but then someone on staff stopped him and said "before the exhibition game" so I guess we'll never know when or where it happens.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno should be able to have great fun with that in a press conference.

More like in practice.

Hey (xxx), after this practice, I hope for your sake that the Volleyball gig is still open.

Reaction Score
OK, so what's your argument here? I said: " That statement tells me two things.
1. Aaliyah is well on her way to making a notable sophomore leap. 2. She wants to play. She’s a year older and more mature.

She knows the players and the plays. Having been around the block once last year, she knows what’s coming and what to expect. We don’t have to be concerned about her. She’ll be ready to play when the ref throws the ball up at mid-court to begin the season".

What part of my comment do you have a problem with? It's pretty much generic. What difference does it make whether she got any playing time or not. She practiced and played with the Canadian National Team. How does THAT fact bring her down, or put her behind the other players? Practicing and plying with professionals older than you can only help your development, not retard it. While she was with the CNT, what were her teammates doing?
because game action can't replace anything, even practice. I just did not like the vibe at all in that Canadian ntl team, they blew a huge opportunity in going far in that tournament and instead they go out in the group stage. It was not really an arguement, it was an observation that I would not put much stock into practicing with that team when when they didn't show up in the games when it mattered.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
because game action can't replace anything, even practice. I just did not like the vibe at all in that Canadian ntl team, they blew a huge opportunity in going far in that tournament and instead they go out in the group stage. It was not really an arguement, it was an observation that I would not put much stock into practicing with that team when when they didn't show up in the games when it mattered.
OK, understood. But you can't blame Aaliyah for the team's deficiencies. That's on the coaches and the selection committee. All she can do is report to the team if chosen and do the best she can. She had nothing to do with its make up or vibe. No doubt the team practiced more hours than they played. It's an honor to be chosen and play for your country's team in any Olympic sport. I'm sure she'll go again if selected in 2024. My take is Aaliyah is no worse off for participating in the Olympics this year than if she had been on campus.

No doubt her teammates mentored her and poured into her during her time with them. That has to be worth something. You're looking at the team, and it appears you're not happy with its play. I'm looking strictly at Aaliyah's involvement with the team and whatever play and practice time she got while she was with them.

You can also learn things watching from the bench. Things you can take back to your school or whatever team you play for. Things that you can try and add to your game. Why do parents take their young kids to watch high school, college and WNBA games? So that they can see how the game is suppose to be played. I can't believe Aaliyah came away without learning something, and benefiting in some fashion from that experience. I don't believe her time spent with the CNT was a waste of time. Christyn said in her recent presser that Aaliyah is MORE AGRESSIVE than she was last year. To me, that's a good thing!!

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
My take is Aaliyah is no worse off for participating in the Olympics this year than if she had been on campus.

No doubt her teammates mentored her and poured into her during her time with them. That has to be worth something. You're looking at the team, and it appears you're not happy with its play. I'm looking strictly at Aaliyah's involvement with the team and whatever play and practice time she got while she was with them.

You can also learn things watching from the bench. Things you can take back to your school or whatever team you play for. Things that you can try and add to your game. Why do parents take their young kids to watch high school, college and WNBA games? So that they can see how the game is suppose to be played. I can't believe Aaliyah came away without learning something, and benefiting in some fashion from that experience. I don't believe her time spent with the CNT was a waste of time.
Everything you said is true.

The suggestion that a college player did not benefit from the experience of being a member of a national team in the Olympic games is silly and about someone looking for negative things to say. Vibes? Come on.

Reaction Score
. They can afford for Amari to fail a conditioning test with the team they have.... I actually think Amari will end up 14th on the depth chart this year and that will be ok for her. She'll learn a lot in practice and get into much better shape for next year.

I don't know about 14th or 13 etc but I could never see her part of the regular rotation in big games once UCONN got Dorka. If Dorka is as good as many of us think she can be, a trio of her, Edwards and Liv is pretty darn good, and, as a result, Amari not a necessity. .

Reaction Score
Saylor playing in the post is surprising to me because of the addition of Dorka and Amari and the two post players arriving next season. Very much like Gabby though Saylor could bring a lot to the post position. For starters Saylor is a legit 6'2" and is a terrific passer and if she ever gets her back right could be a reliable deep shooter. BTW since no one else has mentioned this that is a very bad start for Amari-who appears to have failed her conditioning test upon her arrival on campus. Last player to struggle with conditioning upon her arrival to UCONN never recovered.
Not surprised at either.Like Williams, Poffenbarger was never going to play guard at a top 25, D1 level and no comment on DeBerry.

Reaction Score
Uhm...I'm worried about Amari and will remain so because clearly I had higher expectations for her than you did this season. My expectation were that she would be part of the 4 person post rotation along with ONO. Aaliyah & Dorka.
Nooooo. That was never going to happen.
last years starting 5 plus Aaliyah Fudd Dorka are clearly ahead of her on the depth chart. I assume Ducharne and Griffin as well. That’s akready more than Geno normally plays.
Post players take a while to acclimate to college and she is not taller or bigger or faster than our current posts. Always seemed clear to me that this was a work-on-things-fir-next-year season for her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nooooo. That was never going to happen.
last years starting 5 plus Aaliyah Fudd Dorka are clearly ahead of her on the depth chart. I assume Ducharne and Griffin as well. That’s akready more than Geno normally plays.
Post players take a while to acclimate to college and she is not taller or bigger or faster than our current posts. Always seemed clear to me that this was a work-on-things-fir-next-year season for her.
I don't agree with that at all. Before Dorka signed with UCONN it was painfully obvious that UCONN was going to need more help up front. The specific need being if ONO and Aaliyah both started there was no reliable backup. Amari was the hope until Dorka signed which wasn't until mid April. There was also U19 basketball from this summer where Amari didn't exactly light things up but she did make the team and at least raise some hope that she might be a UCONN contributor.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is this something we should be concerned about? Amari has been on campus since August 28-29, roughly 6 weeks. She's had plenty of time as have her teammates, to get into shape to pass that conditioning test. Is this an "anomaly", or is this something that's going to linger throughout the season? Was Amari the only player that failed to pass her conditioning test? It appears so. No mention was made of any other player failing to pass their test. Geno won't play her if she can't run and keep up with the other 4 players on the court.

The last player I remember that had conditioning challenges was Lexi Gordon. She never played more than 3 minutes during garbage time. She was at the very end of the bench depth wise. Usually the last player to enter the game. She became a starter at Tech, and had a fair amount of success. If you remember she transferred during the holiday break her sophomore year to Texas Tech. She is now a graduate player at Duke.
Unless there is an injury IMO it is something to be concerned about for precisely the reason you state- Amari has been on campus for quite a while now. It is not a good sign when the rest of the team is deep in learning the offense and all the others demands of UCONN basketball you are off to the side running conditioning drills.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with that at all. Before Dorka signed with UCONN it was painfully obvious that UCONN was going to need more help up front. The specific need being if ONO and Aaliyah both started there was no reliable backup. Amari was the hope until Dorka signed which wasn't until mid April. There was also U19 basketball from this summer where Amari didn't exactly light things up but she did make the team and at least raise some hope that she might be a UCONN contributor.
Painfully obvious? On a team that went to the final 4 with 3 frosh?

Dorka came on board 6 months ago and you didnt revise your expectations at all for the year ahead?

I still think UConn will play 4 guards a decent amount of time.

Only 5 people can play at a time. Geno rarely has a rotation more than 8. Seems a tough argument to expect DeBerry would be in the top 8 this year.

Reaction Score
Unless there is an injury IMO it is something to be concerned about for precisely the reason you state- Amari has been on campus for quite a while now. It is not a good sign when the rest of the team is deep in learning the offense and all the others demands of UCONN basketball you are off to the side running conditioning drills.
An article from July had the following to say:

DeBerry’s still learning to adjust to the faster, more physical college game.

“Amari is moving, but for every one step forward there’s a little half step backward because she’ll get nicked here, nicked there. But she doesn’t stop,” Auriemma said. “(She’s) another 6-5 kid that is skilled around the basket and can shoot the ball. We’ve got to get her up to speed at playing our pace.”

Auriemma believes that’ll come in time.

So, who knows? She was on the U19 USA team with Azzi and there are no reports of injury, so if she has been on campus for the past 6 weeks and is the only player to not be in practice week one condition, something seems to be a little out of whack here.

Reaction Score
Is this something we should be concerned about? Amari has been on campus since August 28-29, roughly 6 weeks. She's had plenty of time as have her teammates, to get into shape to pass that conditioning test. Is this an "anomaly", or is this something that's going to linger throughout the season? Was Amari the only player that failed to pass her conditioning test? It appears so. No mention was made of any other player failing to pass their test. Geno won't play her if she can't run and keep up with the other 4 players on the court.

The last player I remember that had conditioning challenges was Lexi Gordon. She never played more than 3 minutes during garbage time. She was at the very end of the bench depth wise. Usually the last player to enter the game. She became a starter at Tech, and had a fair amount of success. If you remember she transferred during the holiday break her sophomore year to Texas Tech. She is now a graduate player at Duke.
Pretty sure I read that she had missed the test and was making it up, not that she had failed!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Painfully obvious? On a team that went to the final 4 with 3 frosh?

Dorka came on board 6 months ago and you didnt revise your expectations at all for the year ahead?

I still think UConn will play 4 guards a decent amount of time.

Only 5 people can play at a time. Geno rarely has a rotation more than 8. Seems a tough argument to expect DeBerry would be in the top 8 this year.
Yes.
Yes. 3 freshman and only two quality post players.
I did revise my expectations. Your post said that was "never" going to be the case.
Geno will play as many good players as he has available at least that what he repeated after the first practice yesterday.
ONO and Dorka could both be gone after this season leaving Geno with 1 quality post player. and two promising incoming Freshman. Dorka has stated that she intends to play two season but I still think it would be in UCONN best interest to have a Amari develop starting as a freshman instead of spectating. 14 MPG as a freshman was enough minutes to have ONO be ready to be a starter as a Sophomore. There is no reason Amari can't follow a similar development path.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom