OT: - Gavin Griffiths to Announce on Thursday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Gavin Griffiths to Announce on Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That seems like spin that the staff never made him a priority. If they cooled on him it's strange and makes me question the staff.
Maybe he cooled on us first. Maybe he wants to go somewhere else/leave CT. Maybe he thinks he'll get more PT at Rutgers. Maybe they offered a great NIL deal. Maybe he just digs Snooki. There's so many reasons a kid could have de-prioritized UConn. It's ok - we're not going to get every player. It's impossible. And, it doesn't mean the coaching staff is questionable.

Reaction Score
I hear you, too, my man. I've been to their campus and it's just "ok"/maybe it appeals to some but not me... But each kid has to make his own decision. Maybe some NIL money brought him in... Best of luck to GG no matter what path he takes.
Maybe the RU decision is odd, but it sounds there is a long personal history with Steve Pikiell. Re the decision to deny the state u, is it really surprising? It’s pretty common for Northeast kids to leave their state for college, even if their home school is as good or better. Northeast kids don’t generally have the same state U pride as the south or Midwest. Maybe it would’ve been better if Griffiths was from a surrounding state.

Reaction Score
That seems like spin that the staff never made him a priority. If they cooled on him it's strange and makes me question the staff.
I mean maybe let’s wait to see who we get instead. Everyone was bummed we didn’t get Simeon Wilcher and we end up with Stephon Castle. We haven’t been connected with Griffiths since the beginning of the year.

Reaction Score
I mean maybe let’s wait to see who we get instead. Everyone was bummed we didn’t get Simeon Wilcher and we end up with Stephon Castle. We haven’t been connected with Griffiths since the beginning of the year.

I’m sure our coaches knew Rutgers had a really strong chance of landing him and planned accordingly. Our staff is very well prepared as far as recruiting goes. I’m not concerned.

Reaction Score
We won’t truly know if or why we may have backed off, and I’m bummed not to get this kid. But the impression I get with this staff is that they are good at identifying what are realistic options and what aren’t - and spending more time and energy on the former. Sometimes in sales (which this is) it’s better to identify and rule out a “no” than to waste your time and energy chasing after an unlikely “maybe.”

Reaction Score
Piscataway… It sounds like the answer to the question “how would a drunk get rid of a cat that was bothering him while he was peeing?”
now that is funny , kind of stupid but very funny

Reaction Score
I hear you but an in-state player of his calibre is pretty rare and I don't buy that we weren't seriously interested. He's one of the best shooters in the country and we always need shooting.

Our coaches were at his gym and he was on campus and at games, they also took in a lot of his AAU games.

I think with the right development the kid has an NBA future and there's always a little something extra rooting for a CT. kid playing for his state University. I'm bummed.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
This might be contrarian here, but ever since Rutgers moved to the B10 and hired Pikiell, I've kinda been rooting for them.
Well it kinda looks like we're losing a recruit to the school you're kinda rooting for. You all in with the good guys or not? I'm mostly kidding here.
Even with a Husky at the helm, there's no way I can root for Rutgers.

Reaction Score
When 7’ 2” Bristol Native Donovan Clingan hits 37% of his 3’s during his Sophomore season, we won’t give a damn about Gavin.

Besides, we can just get him as a transfer as a Sophomore when he realizes that Rutgers is lame, B10 is an overrated suck-ass BB conference, and the D’Amelio-UConn NIL collective is more lucrative.

Reaction Score
No way of putting a positive spin on this one. We've lacked shooting and we have one of the best shooters in the country who is a borderline 5 star kid choosing Rutgers over his state school.
Exactly what I’m saying

Reaction Score
I share others disappointment but I don’t think it’s time to blame the staff. If this kid and his family are as close to pikell as it seems this might have just been an inevitable outcome and we are smart for putting effort into other recruits.
And Rutgers fans are the worst on twitter, they act like they are some great program because they got into the big 10. Zero chance I root for them at all.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He is a perfect fit for Iowa - they recruit kids like him all the time
Always liked Fran McCaffery as a coach

Reaction Score
I share others disappointment but I don’t think it’s time to blame the staff. If this kid and his family are as close to pikell as it seems this might have just been an inevitable outcome and we are smart for putting effort into other recruits.
And Rutgers fans are the worst on twitter, they act like they are some great program because they got into the big 10. Zero chance I root for them at all.
I'm just bummed because he's a CT. kid who can shoot it from all over. I watched all his games online expecting he would come here.

Reaction Score
I 100% disagree. You don't let an in-state player that is among your top targets not even consider you. The fact they couldn't even get him on an official is telling. This is a massive L by Hurley & Co. Besides Castle (and with how things work there is not even a guarantee he'll ever put on a UConn uniform) and missing on another top target (Edwards) the class of 2023 is looking like a bad year (following a 1-man class of 2022) which means we'll have to rely on mid-major transfers once again.

Reaction Score
I 100% disagree. You don't let an in-state player that is among your top targets not even consider you. The fact they couldn't even get him on an official is telling. This is a massive L by Hurley & Co. Besides Castle (and with how things work there is not even a guarantee he'll ever put on a UConn uniform) and missing on another top target (Edwards) the class of 2023 is looking like a bad year (following a 1-man class of 2022) which means we'll have to rely on mid-major transfers once again.
I'm bummed but you're making a major leap. If we don't get Coleman or Ball or any other kids we're heavily involved with it's obviously a failure but judge the class when the class is finished.

Reaction Score
"The fact they couldn't even get him on an official is telling".

But is it? He made a ton of unofficial visits. When you've seen plenty of the campus and several games already, why burn one of your official visits? I'm disappointed, but the only thing this bit tells me is that there was nothing further to be gleaned from making an official visit.

Reaction Score
You stated the actual reality of UConn basketball. Well Done, Sir!!!

Reaction Score
Maybe he cooled on us first. Maybe he wants to go somewhere else/leave CT. Maybe he thinks he'll get more PT at Rutgers. Maybe they offered a great NIL deal. Maybe he just digs Snooki. There's so many reasons a kid could have de-prioritized UConn. It's ok - we're not going to get every player. It's impossible. And, it doesn't mean the coaching staff is questionable.

Please sir, take your rational and sensible opinion and leave, there is no room that sound thinking here.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm bummed but you're making a major leap. If we don't get Coleman or Ball or any other kids we're heavily involved with it's obviously a failure but judge the class when the class is finished.
This is objectively true but I’d also include transfers in the assessment, as they will be arguably more important than freshmen for destination teams like us going forward.

Reaction Score

One man class? Talk about telegraphing that you’re just taking potshots. Unless you actually think it’s rational to make it sound like a negative that a staff gets players they got to commit to show up to campus early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom