FIBA Women's World Cup Day 1 Matches | Page 5 | The Boneyard

FIBA Women's World Cup Day 1 Matches

Reaction Score
On a side note: Achonwa chirps alot for a role player.

I take umbrage to Achonwa being considered a role player. She's far from it for the Canada Basketball program. ND-UCONN rivalry and chriping aside, she deserves a bit of respect. She's a perennial starter for the program and playing significant minutes for the team.

I believe she's has the most tenure, playing in 3 Olympics. When asked to play for Canada, she's never declined unless injured or a serious conflict with WNBA.

She's a key voice and mentor to the team. Players from Canada Basketball look up to her because of her commitment to the team on and off the field. If that's a role player, I'll take that all day.

Her chirping is no different from what we've seen from players all season. In this game, it was pretty chippy on both sides so I can understand it. A lot of contact, even for FIBA rules, was allowed. I know I saw players from both sides a little edgy, especially late in the game.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I take umbrage to Achonwa being considered a role player. She's far from it for the Canada Basketball program. ND-UCONN rivalry and chriping aside, she deserves a bit of respect. She's a perennial starter for the program and playing significant minutes for the team.
Side note to the side note: "umbrage" is one of those underused words I am inexplicably fond of :)

Reaction Score

For me there are three types of players: Star, Role and Bench.

Let's be honest she is not a star on this team.

While she is 1 of 7 players averaging more than 20 minutes per game, meaning she is not a bench player, she only scores 6 PPG on 33.3% FG% with an assist-to-turnover ratio of 0.72.

Lauren Jackson is one the best to ever play the game but on this team she is a role player. Tess Madgen is the captain of the Opals and has represented her country at multiple Olympics and World Cups but she is also a role player.

Happy to agree to disagree on whether Achonwa should be referred to as a 'role player'.

Reaction Score
The U.S. broke the scoring record of 143, set by Brazil 3 decades ago. They also broke the U.S. record by 26 points!
Screenshot (20).png

Reaction Score
For me there are three types of players: Star, Role and Bench.

Let's be honest she is not a star on this team.

While she is 1 of 7 players averaging more than 20 minutes per game, meaning she is not a bench player, she only scores 6 PPG on 33.3% FG% with an assist-to-turnover ratio of 0.72.

Lauren Jackson is one the best to ever play the game but on this team she is a role player. Tess Madgen is the captain of the Opals and has represented her country at multiple Olympics and World Cups but she is also a role player.

Happy to agree to disagree on whether Achonwa should be referred to as a 'role player'.

It's definitely an agree to disagree. My idea of a role player differs from yours. Yours seems focused primarily on the stats.

She brings more to the team than production, especially with a group that is very green when it comes to international competition. This Canadian team wouldn't be where they are at this point without her.

Reaction Score
How about a "featured role player" :D
Like my last post, depends on your definition. She brings more to the table and deserves some credit for the veteran leadership she brings.

Got no problems with the chirping being pointed out. There was a fair bit of it. Plus being Canadian, let's chalk some of it up to our hockey heritage, where chirping is part of the game. ;)

Reaction Score
Meanwhile on the court Puerto Rico leads South Korea 39-23 with 4:30 left in the 2nd quarter in the battle for fourth place and the last quarter final spot from Group A .

Plebe

Reaction Score
Belgium hung close with China through 3 quarters, but China just wore them down and pulled away in 4Q, for an 81-55 win. Li Meng with 16 points led 5 Chinese players in double figures.

For three quarters it was the best I'd seen Belgium play all tournament, despite missing Meesseman. Lack of depth definitely hurt them in the 2nd half.

China locks up 2nd place in Group A, and Belgium takes 3rd.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
USA wins 121-59. Stewie was really good, as usual: 15/7/2/1. Plum had a big second half and led the team with 20 points. She was also a phenomenal +55. Seven players in double-figures, after eight did that last night. Jewell did not suit up.

Reaction Score
USA wins 121-59. Stewie was really good, as usual: 15/7/2/1. Plum had a big second half and led the team with 20 points. She was also a phenomenal +55. Seven players in double-figures, after eight did that last night. Jewell did not suit up.
While it's an interesting stat.

I see Copper had the best +/- per minute vs Korea 2.59 (+24 in 9:15) but the worst vs BIH 0.55 (+9 in 16:30). :confused:

Plum also had the highest efficiency (27) but also played the most minutes, so both kinda expected.

Plum +/- per minute was 2.00 (+55 in 27:29) while Thomas had the best +/- per minute at 2.16 (+21 in 9:44).

Reaction Score
Couldn't do the 2 am game today. Canada won 88-65. Carleton led the team with 27 points and 7/8 for 3 point shots. Kayla Alexander had a great game as well. Wanted to see Mali to watch Kone play. Haven't seen any of the Mali games. She held her own with a double-double (10 pt, 10 reb).

Serbia beat France 68-62. Based on the box score, it looks like Serbia's rebounding advantage helped to keep them in the game (44-25). Now they wait for Australia-Japan to see if they finish third in the pool.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Couldn't do the 2 am game today. Canada won 88-65. Carleton led the team with 27 points and 7/8 for 3 point shots. Kayla Alexander had a great game as well. Wanted to see Mali to watch Kone play. Haven't seen any of the Mali games. She held her own with a double-double (10 pt, 10 reb).

Serbia beat France 68-62. Based on the box score, it looks like Serbia's rebounding advantage helped to keep them in the game (44-25). Now they wait for Australia-Japan to see if they finish third in the pool.
Australia easy win over Japan 71-54. 1st place Pool B

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Australia easy win over Japan 71-54. 1st place Pool B
Just saw the postings on Twitter. Thanks.

Canada finishing second is a pleasant surprise as most FIBA experts, including former Canada Basketball member Shona Thorburn, didn't expect them to get out of the pool from what I recall reading in one of their articles prior to the tournament.

It's also great to see Australia bounce back the way they have. Wouldn't be a FIBA World Cup if they hadn't made the play-offs.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Since pool play is over and all team results are in, does anyone know where the playoff schedule / matchups are posted? Do not see on FIBA site? :confused:

Oh, I see there is some draw's being implemented to get positioning.

Reaction Score
Since pool play is over and all team results are in, does anyone know where the playoff schedule / matchups are posted? Do not see on FIBA site? :confused:

Oh, I see there is some draw's being implemented to get positioning.
No idea but I hope something is posted today. If I need to be up for a 2 am game, I want to plan my sleep schedule accordingly ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
According to the playoff tree

China and US on opposite sides so should meet in a good final

Reaction Score
According to the playoff tree

China and US on opposite sides so should meet in a good final
Considering how Australia is playing now, I don't know about that. Just a gut feeling that if they meet in the semis, this could be a tougher match up than assumed.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
There is a girl on Puerto Rico named Trinity San Antonio. She just completed her freshman year at Cal Baptist University. She is averaging 7 points a game. Gaining tons of experience playing on the world stage. Very fast, a bit wild but will be the lead pg the next 3 years. #23.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Considering how Australia is playing now, I don't know about that. Just a gut feeling that if they meet in the semis, this could be a tougher match up than assumed.
The knock on China is that they haven't played up to their potential in the medal rounds of previous big tournaments. They'll have their chance to get over the hurdle. The potential path of France-Australia-USA might have been the hardest sequence they could have drawn.

Reaction Score
The knock on China is that they haven't played up to their potential in the medal rounds of previous big tournaments. They'll have their chance to get over the hurdle. The potential path of France-Australia-USA might have been the hardest sequence they could have drawn.
An intriguing storyline. Unfortunately, I'll likely be asleep during the France-China match up:(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom