FIBA Women's World Cup Day 1 Matches | Page 7 | The Boneyard

FIBA Women's World Cup Day 1 Matches

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
67-29 thru Q3. Canada was NEVER in this game, pretty much over from the opening tip. Remarkably noncompetitive.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
83-43 final. Last quarter was very sloppy for the U.S. The last 4:49, the score was 4-4.

Wilson had 15/12. Stewie had 17/8/3/1/3. Copper was out with a hip injury.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Li Meng , one of China's top players is out, Not sure why? That levels the field a bit.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
36-30 China at half.

Australia missed quite a few layups (with Han Xu being an intimidating factor) and China does not look like the team that gave the US fits. Han Xu continues to play beautifully. Her mid range game is so beautiful.

Whitcomb doing her best with 13 pts. Need more contributions.

US team (in the stands) is probably licking their chops.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
China wins 61-59. Ezi had a pretty good (albeit tough) shot to tie but missed. That was painful.

Sami with the roughest 2nd half. 3 missed FT's in a row, no 3pt makes and fouls out while giving up the game winning FT's

Reaction Score
I am not a coach but during the last timeout I was thinking sub Ezi out with either Jackson or Garbin to space the floor for Talbot to drive.

I am happy for the Chinese team and their fans that they have made the Gold Medal game even if it was at the expense of my Opals.

Reaction Score
I am not a coach but during the last timeout I was thinking sub Ezi out with either Jackson or Garbin to space the floor for Talbot to drive.

I am happy for the Chinese team and their fans that they have made the Gold Medal game even if it was at the expense of my Opals.
Unbelievable game and I thought it was going to be a battle. This tournament has had some excellent games for fans.

Reaction Score
67-29 thru Q3. Canada was NEVER in this game, pretty much over from the opening tip. Remarkably noncompetitive.
Yup - it's the big sister spanking the little sister syndrome Canada continues to suffer when facing the US.

First quarter did the team in. Credit to the US defensive scheme making it impossible to get the ball inside, however Canada also didn't stick to what had been working for them. Their transition defence was HORRIBLE. It was total loss of mental focus as this was key in trying to slow the US down a bit. If it wasn't an early AM game, I would have made transition lay ups a drinking game. It would have made the game a tad more tolerable to watch.

The team put up the white flag in the third once they started bringing in players like Gilles and Hanson. Makes sense with the bronze match being less than 24 hours away, but sucked to see it happen at the same time. One glint of silver lining was seeing Kyei providing some flashes of her potential. With 4 points, 5 rebounds and 3 blocks in 17 minutes as an 18 year old, this will be a big boost to her confidence, especially for the upcoming NCAA season.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Missed the games while I slept, but what happened to Li Meng? One of the stars of the tournament for sure, huge blow to China if she can't play in the final.

Edit: I see this article cites the reason as 'illness'

I caught the tail end of the game and didn't realize she hadn't played. Apparently she was held out due to feeling unwell. :(

Plebe

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I would have predicted Australia to win if I'd known Li Meng wouldn't play. She's been that good for China this tournament. Silky-smooth and versatile offensive player, both scorer and passer.

You may find this team comparison interesting. China's FG shooting was over 50% for the game and their bench outscored Australia by 7 points. Their depth was able to withstand the loss of Li Meng.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Yup - it's the big sister spanking the little sister syndrome Canada continues to suffer when facing the US.

First quarter did the team in. Credit to the US defensive scheme making it impossible to get the ball inside, however Canada also didn't stick to what had been working for them. Their transition defence was HORRIBLE. It was total loss of mental focus as this was key in trying to slow the US down a bit. If it wasn't an early AM game, I would have made transition lay ups a drinking game. It would have made the game a tad more tolerable to watch.

The team put up the white flag in the third once they started bringing in players like Gilles and Hanson. Makes sense with the bronze match being less than 24 hours away, but sucked to see it happen at the same time. One glint of silver lining was seeing Kyei providing some flashes of her potential. With 4 points, 5 rebounds and 3 blocks in 17 minutes as an 18 year old, this will be a big boost to her confidence, especially for the upcoming NCAA season.
For someone as young as she is and has only been playing basketball for a relatively short time, Phillipina (Kyei) has made enormous progress over the past year and I fully expect it to continue. She has good hands, moves really well, a nice shooting touch/form, and a remarkably advanced basketball IQ given her lack of experience. It will be a pleasure to watch her at Oregon this year.

(p.s. I think she should have been credited with 4 blocks.)

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Really entertaining bronze medal game so far between Australia and Canada. The Opals lead 51-43 at the half, after a lovely touch pass set up a 3-pointer by Talbot before the buzzer.

I guess Kia Nurse's minutes restriction is over. She played 18 minutes in the first half and she's doing all she can for her team, currently with 19 points.

Baylor alum Kristy Wallace is having a nice game so far. It's great to see her playing well after the back-to-back ACL injuries she had a few years ago.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
How about Talbot? She's kind of a utility player in the WNBA but she's balling for the Opals tonight.

Reaction Score
Ok Lauren
Sarcastic Nancy Pelosi GIF by MOODMAN

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Kia Nurse had 19.
All in the first half I think. Canada ran out of gas or something. Close game at the mid point got really out of hand as it continued.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
All in the first half I think. Canada ran out of gas or something. Close game at the mid point got really out of hand as it continued.
Yeah, I think Kia had 19 at halftime. Lauren did most of her damage in Q3.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The post game celebration was great. Hoisting Lauren on the team's shoulders was hilarious since she was begging not to. :D

Reaction Score
Does this tournament have any implications on Olympic qualifications?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom