FIBA Women's World Cup Day 1 Matches | Page 4 | The Boneyard

FIBA Women's World Cup Day 1 Matches

Reaction Score
Canada up 33-19 with 4 minutes left in the 2nd Qtr.

Australia finish it with a 19-0 run to lead 38-33 at the half. :confused:

Reaction Score
After one half, Australia leads Canada 38-33.

A tale of 2 quarters from what I've seen. Canada started off strong and Australia struggled with their shooting. Canada's 3 pt shooting was better than expected that quarter with the team making 5. They won the first quarter 23-14.

Australia woke up late in the second quarter. Their defensive intensity picked up significantly and their shooting looks like it's on track again. They won the second quarter 24-10 with an astonishing 19-0 run to finish the quarter.

Magbegor leads for Australia with 10 points. Colley has 8 for Canada. There's an interesting match up between Magbegor and Amihere. It's been a good battle between them both ways. Amihere has had a few steals on Magbegor, while Magbegor has caught Amihere being overly eager on the defensive end.

Looking forward to the second half.

Reaction Score
After 3, Canada leads again 57-51. Physical game for both teams. Really appreciating the defensive effort. Australia has caused a number of shot clock violations and 5 second calls. The crowd is really into this game. Looking forward to the fourth.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I saw most of the game against China. Missed the game against Korea. Happy to see Plum is being productive. Led the team w/ 9 assists, also had 19 points.

Reaction Score
Australia wins 75-72. This game was definitely one of runs looking at the scores for each quarter.

@Dillon77 This type of game was what I was concerned about for Canada when I referenced the mental side. Would they wilt when it matters? Looking at the final score, one may say no. Looking at the final quarter score of 24-15 in Australia's favour, I think they did. Question now is how do they bounce back during the final game and quarter-finals.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Australia wins 75-72. This game was definitely one of runs looking at the scores for each quarter.

@Dillon77 This type of game was what I was concerned about for Canada when I referenced the mental side. Would they wilt when it matters? Looking at the final score, one may say no. Looking at the final quarter score of 24-15 in Australia's favour, I think they did. Question now is how do they bounce back during the final game and quarter-finals.
Australia had some heroic performances in the 4th Q. Talbot, Magbegor, Whitcomb were excellent

Nurse played well in the 4th Q after a rough game in general but missed a critical (albeit tough) layup that would have tied at 73-73

Oh man, Amihere is one tough player and defender. Boston and Amihere together is some combo.

Reaction Score
Australia had some heroic performances in the 4th Q. Talbot, Magbegor, Whitcomb were excellent

Nurse played well in the 4th Q after a rough game in general but missed a critical (albeit tough) layup that would have tied at 73-73

Oh man, Amihere is one tough player and defender. Boston and Amihere together is some combo.
Along with great scouting on how Canada was defending. Canada took chances and Australia made them pay, especially with the pick and roll. That game is excellent footage for coaches to show their players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
France beat Japan, 67-53. Gabby led her team with 16 points. They are now 3-1 and will advance to the quarter-finals.

Reaction Score
1664207470407.png

The final games in Group B are going to be very interesting in determining who makes the top 2. Canada, France and Australia are tied 3-1, and each team having a win over another 3-1 team (Canada over France, France over Australia and Australia over Canada). Whoever has the job figuring out all the scenarios, I don't envy them one bit.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
View attachment 79361

The final games in Group B are going to be very interesting in determining who makes the top 2. Canada, France and Australia are tied 3-1, and each team having a win over another 3-1 team (Canada over France, France over Australia and Australia over Canada). Whoever has the job figuring out all the scenarios, I don't envy them one bit.

I think 4 teams from each Group advance to the quarterfinals. Mali will be eliminated, as will either Japan or Serbia. The seeding of the top 2-3 teams will likely rely on scoring differential.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The U.S. broke the scoring record of 143, set by Brazil 3 decades ago. They also broke the U.S. record by 26 points!

Reaction Score
I think 4 teams from each Group advance to the quarterfinals. Mali will be eliminated, as will either Japan or Serbia. The seeding of the top 2-3 teams will likely rely on scoring differential.
This is why the tie for first place is intriguing. Had Canada won, they would have been in a better position to claim first place overall.

Now, how many points does each team need in their last game to avoid being ranked third? The assumption is that if you're not 1 or 2 in Pool B, a QF match up with the US is very likely.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

CC...I watched the 2nd half of the game and really thought it was a game of runs. Perhaps some decisions could've been redone but I saw nothing to believe Canada choked it over/blipped out on a large scale. If there's any mental impetus that was necessary, it was for Australia: they needed this game.

Canada has another prelim game left, right? If so, that's the game I'd pay attention to. How do they perform? On target? Or a bit off?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
France will finish at the top of Group B if
  • They defeat Serbia AND
  • Mali defeat Canada
Canada will finish at the top of Group B if
  • They defeat Mali AND
  • France defeat Serbia OR Japan defeat Australia
Australia will finish at the top of Group B if
  • Serbia defeat France AND
  • They defeat Japan or Mali defeat Canada

Reaction Score
CC...I watched the 2nd half of the game and really thought it was a game of runs. Perhaps some decisions could've been redone but I saw nothing to believe Canada choked it over/blipped out on a large scale. If there's any mental impetus that was necessary, it was for Australia: they needed this game.

Canada has another prelim game left, right? If so, that's the game I'd pay attention to. How do they perform? On target? Or a bit off?
I see where you're coming from, and I'm hoping this isn't the case. Definitely a game of runs, however being able to punch back when it matters is what was a tad concerning. Based on previous results at World Cup events where they've had the same challenges, it's something Canada Basketball fans may wonder about once they move into the play-off rounds.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Now, how many points does each team need in their last game to avoid being ranked third? The assumption is that if you're not 1 or 2 in Pool B, a QF match up with the US is very likely.
Score differential would only come into play in the event of a 3-way tie. A 2-way tie would be broken by head-to-head.

If it does go to score differential, Australia currently holds the advantage, but Canada has the opportunity to run up the score against Mali, the weakest team of the group. I

3rd place team in Group B would have a 50% chance of drawing the US in the QF.

1664211671548.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Score differential would only come into play in the event of a 3-way tie. A 2-way tie would be broken by head-to-head.

If it does go to score differential, Australia currently holds the advantage, but Canada has the opportunity to run up the score against Mali, the weakest team of the group.

View attachment 79362
Appreciate this @Plebe

Plebe

Reaction Score
Based on current point differentials and matchups, the very high likelihood is that France finishes 3rd in group.

Even if France does beat Serbia, their margin of victory is unlikely to be enough to push them ahead of either Canada (who will have every motivation to run up the score on Mali) or Australia (who plays Japan and is already well ahead of France on point differential).

Edit: Sorry folks, I had the tiebreak procedure wrong. See below.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

If it does go to score differential, Australia currently holds the advantage, but Canada has the opportunity to run up the score against Mali, the weakest team of the group.

I tried to find the tie-breaker rules on the website, to no avail but the Australian commentators in the pre-match to last game were talking about a 13 point margin of victory being required, which could mean it is the point differential between tied teams (i.e. Canada +11, France -1 and Australia -10) not overall.

If that is the case, if all three win their last match, then Australia would finish third in the group.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I tried to find the tie-breaker rules on the website, to no avail but the Australian commentators in the pre-match to last game were talking about a 13 point margin of victory being required, which could mean it is the point differential between tied teams (i.e. Canada +11, France -1 and Australia -10) not overall.

If that is the case, if all three win their last match, then Australia would finish third in the group.
Oh, that changes it completely if it's only head-to-head point differential. That would mean the point differential among the 3 teams is already settled and Australia is doomed to 3rd unless one of either France or Canada is upset.

I found this:

As it stands, Canada leads the group with a head-to-head point differential of +11, while France sits second at -1, while the Aussies are third on -10. Australia needs Serbia to beat France to give them a shot at a top-two finish in the group, however, if France wins and the Opals beat Japan, the Aussies will slip to third due to the tie-breaker.​

Plebe

Reaction Score
France will finish at the top of Group B if
  • They defeat Serbia AND
  • Mali defeat Canada
Canada will finish at the top of Group B if
  • They defeat Mali AND
  • France defeat Serbia OR Japan defeat Australia
Australia will finish at the top of Group B if
  • Serbia defeat France AND
  • They defeat Japan or Mali defeat Canada
It's curious that FIBA framed the tiebreak scenarios this way, because the nature of the crossover procedure means that there's zero advantage to finishing 1st as opposed to 2nd, but a major disadvantage to finishing 3rd.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's curious that FIBA framed the tiebreak scenarios this way, because the nature of the crossover procedure means that there's zero advantage to finishing 1st as opposed to 2nd, but a major disadvantage to finishing 3rd.
Unless it weighted like a draft, where top team has more chances (e.g. 1st team has two chances to play 4th team where as 2nd team team only has one chance). Who knows, not enough information publicly available.

Probably just the status quo reporting from previous tournaments or could be based on expected user experience, people want to know who finishes first even though it holds less meaning for next round opponents.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom