Ever run into a Husky? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ever run into a Husky?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I try to sidestep them.

Josh Boone at Reins Deli.

Jim Calhoun at Mohegan Sun at a Simon and Garfunkel concert. My wife insisted I get his autograph. She had a broken ankle and was in a cast. Broke it the day before the concert so feeling sorry for her I embarrassed myself by getting JC’s autograph on the concert tickets. I heard JC chuckling at this fifty plus groupie sheepishly going back to his seat.

Actual Huskies I stop and pet them. Owners always are told I’m a “Huskies” fan.
The image of Calhoun at a Simon and Garfunkel concert is hilarious to me and idk why.

Reaction Score
I used to meet the players yearly when I was a kid and they had the blue and white scrimmage at the civic center.
Tate George threw out the first pitch for my little league game one year.
Ruslan inyatkin showed up at the west Hartford jcc Sunday pick up basketball one week and was unstoppable dropping 3's and dunking all over the place.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I
Seems to me that Simon & Garfunkel would be right in JC's wheelhouse.

If you were around in the 1960's you'd understand how big they were.
I guess it’s the image of Calhoun enjoying something outside of basketball that is fascinating haha

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
About 7-8 years ago I was about to board a flight to Vegas with a friend. At the gate I started to pass time by scrolling instagram. A Donnell Beverly post caught my attention -- he had just posted a picture from a private jet with a bunch of dudes and Russ, and the caption stated that they were headed to Vegas for Westbrook's bachelor party. I immediately showed my friend and wondered what would happen if we'd cross paths.

It didn't take long for that daydream to become reality. After we touched down, we took a cab to the Wynn, checked in, then headed to the elevators with our luggage. Right at this exact moment, I see the entire Westbrook bachelor party headed our way. I regret that I was stone cold sober at this time because I completely froze up. Had there been a little liquid courage involved, I would have big upped little known Donnell at the expense of superstar Russ in front of Russ's entire posse during his bachelor party. I'm pretty sure the posse would have loved the unexpected nature of it all. #fail

Reaction Score
I used to run into Doug wrenn (if that counts) all
The time when me and the guys would go to the clubs in Seattle. Also ran info mandeldove in Chicago back in 2014. I just pointed at my Uconn shirt, he smiled and nodded

Reaction Score
I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods in 1994 and I cashed out players like Kirk, Doron and Ollie. The best looking was Pam Webber who was buying sneakers. Very neat signature on her credit card, btw. All players were unassuming.

I lived in Coventry CT for a while and Donny did too. I used to see him ride around town or at the gas station fueling his Slingshot or other type of 3-wheel motorcycle.
fwiw, i like every post with a pam webber reference.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Met El-Amin in Champs at Buckland Hills Mall. Despite being almost the same age, I was star struck. Got to slap him five and told him "nice work, nice to meet you."

Met Tyler 2 Rings at Legends in NYC this BE Tournament. Spoke to him for awhile...very nice guy.

Met Gavin Edwards at the Travelers.

Met Johnny Selvie at Huskies Bar in Storrs.

Met Stanley Robinson outside his apt at UConn. RIP my man.

Met John Gwynn at Stop and Shop, Rocky Hill. We both live in Wethersfield.

Met Calhoun at Friendly's in WH Center when I was in HS.

Met Mandledove at a UConn football tailgate.

Met Kemba one summer while he was playing in the GHPA.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Met El-Amin in Champs at Buckland Hills Mall. Despite being almost the same age, I was star struck. Got to slap him five and told him "nice work, nice to meet you."

Met Tyler 2 Rings at Legends in NYC this BE Tournament. Spoke to him for awhile...very nice guy.

Met Gavin Edwards at the Travelers.

Met Johnny Selvie at Huskies Bar in Storrs.

Met Stanley Robinson outside his apt at UConn. RIP my man.

Met John Gwynn at Stop and Shop, Rocky Hill. We both live in Wethersfield.

Met Calhoun at Friendly's in WH Center when I was in HS.

Met Mandledove at a UConn football tailgate.

Met Kemba one summer while he was playing in the GHPA.
Interesting 8-man rotation, though I'd swap out Mandlefove for a taller guard.

Reaction Score
In 2015, I was in Thailand with my wife and we randomly decided to go to a local Bangkok nightclub. After an hour or so I look over my shoulder and see Ray Allen chilling with his group. After a few drinks I finally got up the nerve and had a nice UConn chat for a few mins. Was very surreal running into one of your heroes so far from home.

Reaction Score
I met Emeka at a Maxim party in Charlotte back when he was still on the old Bobcats team. Super nice guy.

Reaction Score
John Gwynn, Jerome Dyson, Kevin Ollie (twice, 15+ years apart), and Kevin Freeman

Reaction Score
I met dozens of UConn players at one of my CarToys stores on the Berlin TPKE in Wethersfield 88-2000 before moving to Florida. They were all great kids, extremely polite, just really nice high character people, my favorite was Donny Marshall, least favorite Travis Knight ( never came back to finish paying his bill ). Somebody was always getting something put into their car, so it was pretty common to run into UConn players for about 12 years or so.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Ray Allen lives in my town over the summer so I've run into him a few times over the last decade. I met Niels Giffey and Leon Tolksdorf in DC a few years back. Met Donny Marshall in a Bradley Airport bathroom.

Reaction Score
Ran into Brimah outside Division West in WeHa. One of my friends yelled "Natty Champs" at him and the girl he was with tried fighting us because she thought we were calling him a "nerd" somehow.....Brimah was cool though, he just laughed and waved.

Also ran into Olander at Elicit a few months ago, just said what's up and kept moving.

Those were the only chance public encounters but I've seen plenty of coaches and players around campus or at sanctioned events (Ted's, Frat parties, the Traveler's ProAm, etc.)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Met Donny Marshall in a Bradley Airport bathroom.
GIF by Got Talent Global

Reaction Score
Gavin Edwards was friendly with my next door neighbor and went to his UConn graduation party in Sandy Hook, CT.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Ran into Shuttlesworth this morning at Bradley. I left him alone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom