Ever run into a Husky? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ever run into a Husky?

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Not sure I qualify for this game. Went to high school with Earl Kelley. Saw him from time to time at Farnam House after that. Saw the whole team when they visited the Clinton White House when I worked there...

Reaction Score
During the 90's we'd run into Cliffy and Jerome Kersey at a downtown Portland bar called Hubers relatively often. They were always cool and said hello, shook hands etc.

Reaction Score
Okwandu at the pavilion in Old Lyme. He was wearing a life jacket the entire day even while in the bar.

Maya Moore in my mom’s car was a weird one. Was home for a random weekend Sr. year in college. My sister was a freshman playing D1 and her teammate was best friends with Maya. Her best friend/my sister played Quinnipiac and she had just spent the day/night with their team. Apparently Maya needed a ride back to the bus/train station in Hartford so she could get back to UConn. My mom offered to drive back this “friend” having no idea who Maya was. I just remembered her walking straight at our car and being like Mom is that Maya Moore getting in our car?

Reaction Score
Ricky Moore at Lucky Tacos-Manchester.. Tyler O --Golfers Warehouse.. Jimmy Foster-Denver.. Travis-- JDF Fundraiser..

Reaction Score
I was in LA in late 2009 and spent the day hooping at Venice Beach. I saw Marcus Johnson walking around with his GF who he met while at UConn. I have no idea if they are still together but I ran up to him to say hi. He was very cool and seemed happy that someone recognized him.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I try to sidestep them.

Josh Boone at Reins Deli.

Jim Calhoun at Mohegan Sun at a Simon and Garfunkel concert. My wife insisted I get his autograph. She had a broken ankle and was in a cast. Broke it the day before the concert so feeling sorry for her I embarrassed myself by getting JC’s autograph on the concert tickets. I heard JC chuckling at this fifty plus groupie sheepishly going back to his seat.

Actual Huskies I stop and pet them. Owners always are told I’m a “Huskies” fan.

Reaction Score
I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods in 1994 and I cashed out players like Kirk, Doron and Ollie. The best looking was Pam Webber who was buying sneakers. Very neat signature on her credit card, btw. All players were unassuming.

I lived in Coventry CT for a while and Donny did too. I used to see him ride around town or at the gas station fueling his Slingshot or other type of 3-wheel motorcycle.

Reaction Score
Many times...most recently last fall at Chipotle in Glastonbury. Paige and Azzie were making a tiktok together.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Saw Travis Knight at a Yankee game probably 5 years ago. Hard to miss him walking around the concourse.

John Gwynn used to ref my hoops games in college occasionally.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I try to sidestep them.

Josh Boone at Reins Deli.

Jim Calhoun at Mohegan Sun at a Simon and Garfunkel concert. My wife insisted I get his autograph. She had a broken ankle and was in a cast. Broke it the day before the concert so feeling sorry for her I embarrassed myself by getting JC’s autograph on the concert tickets. I heard JC chuckling at this fifty plus groupie sheepishly going back to his seat.

Actual Huskies I stop and pet them. Owners always are told I’m a “Huskies” fan.
Apparently Boone (and you) know what’s up.
That reuben is always worth the stop on 84.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yes. Rashad Anderson at Westfarms Mall and Buckland; Ray Allen at a stop light in Seattle in his black Ferrari; Niels Giffey in Kensington; Donnell Beverley at a club in Hartford; Glen Miller at Ocho Cafe in West Hartford; Kemba Walker at Nordstrom in West Farms; Donny Marshall on a flight from Chicago to Hartford.

I suspect living in Connecticut greatly increases one's chances of being able to significantly contribute to this thread.

I saw Emeka on the street in midtown NYC once, just strolling down the sidewalk by himself, about as inconspicuous as a 6'10" guy could be.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Travis Knight was at the blackjack table next to mine at Foxwoods.k
Not a Husky, but Manute Bol borrowed a couple hundred bucks from a guy I used to work for at the blackjack table in Mohegan Sun. Signed an IOU on his business card. Lost the money, asked my friend for another loan. Uhm. No, he lost the first loan too fast. He died less than a year later. I told my buddy he should put the IOU on Ebay and get SOMETHING back for it. But he had it framed and hung it in his office instead.

Reaction Score
Not a Husky, but Manute Bol borrowed a couple hundred bucks from a guy I used to work for at the blackjack table in Mohegan Sun. Signed an IOU on his business card. Lost the money, asked my friend for another loan. Uhm. No, he lost the first loan too fast. He died less than a year later. I told my buddy he should put the IOU on Ebay and get SOMETHING back for it. But he had it framed and hung it in his office instead.
Sat across the aisle from Manute at a Celtics game in Boston. He had an aisle seat and his legs hanging out in the aisle because they wouldn't fit behind the seat in front of him.

Reaction Score
I have seen several at Whole Foods in Glastonbury. Kevin Ollie, Ray Allen and Charles Okuando. Also saw Calhoun eating with another guy at Burton's Grill in S Windsor.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I just hired a guy who was a scholarship player on the 2006- 2007 team. He transferred after one year.
I wonder if anyone can figure out who he is?

Reaction Score
Lived with much of the 99 team in Watson 5. Ran into Ray multiple times on and off campus, at away games, plenty of other exchanges in the Alumni quadrant, etc... but I don't think any of that matters too much. Part of being a student.

My most unique run in was Khalid's older brother in Greensboro in 98. He looked identical to Khlaid. Same height and build. Just had a thick beard. Asked if he was related to Khalid by chance. Which was obvious as soon as I saw him. We had a short conversation. He seemed cool.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I just hired a guy who was a scholarship player on the 2006- 2007 team. He transferred after one year.
I wonder if anyone can figure out who he is?
Wiggy?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom