Ever run into a Husky? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ever run into a Husky?

Reaction Score
I assume Cliff Robinson and Jeff King at Ted’s and others in Monteith don’t count
My hard fought 3 on 3 battle against Earl Kelley behind the jungle doesn't count either then. My god it was fun to play against a guy that good.

I remember another pickup game against Terrance Warren. He wasn't even good on the playground. Me and everyone else out there couldn't see how he was a D1 scholarship guy. I don't think he was at UConn long, IIRC.

Reaction Score
I see Kevin Ollie pretty often at his daughter's soccer games at Wesleyan

Reaction Score
Someone recently posted about meeting Emeka Okafor while on vacation. Has anyone else ever ran into a UConn player outside of a school/basketball setting?

I've seen Ray Allen twice. Once at the old New London mall, but he was there to sign autographs. About 5 years ago, I was in line behind him at a UPS store.

I'm about 99.9% sure I saw Donnell Beverly while waiting on a plane at LAX. I didn't say anything to him, just because it would've been really awkward if turned out he was some other guy. Donnell or not, he had a burger that looked really good.
Went to a yard goats game last month and saw either Karaban or Clingan there. He walked by had a Uconn shirt but didnt have my glasses on so his face was a bit blurry. My guess is it was Karaban.
This was a recent run in but in my 30+ years of living in CT and being a fan ive had run ins with many players, hung out with a few and was actually friends with Ed Saunders from his time in Waterbury. Not close but we hung out all the time before he went to Uconn. Lost touch after that.

Reaction Score
Went to a yard goats game last month and saw either Karaban or Clingan there. He walked by had a Uconn shirt but didnt have my glasses on so his face was a bit blurry. My guess is it was Karaban.
This was a recent run in but in my 30+ years of living in CT and being a fan ive had run ins with many players, hung out with a few and was actually friends with Ed Saunders from his time in Waterbury. Not close but we hung out all the time before he went to Uconn. Lost touch after that.
When he walked past you did he tower over you or did he TOWER over you? Easiest way to figure out who it was

Reaction Score
Charlie and Rudy at Foot Action in the Providence Place Mall way back. I Chopped it up with Charlie as he acknowledged my sneakers, and how they were going to stop Ryan Gomes. I didn't know who Rudy was and he didn't say a word the whole time. I think he was a freshman at the time........ Charlie is a real cool dude though.

Reaction Score
1601120_10101695036180791_1914858268_n.jpg

Was just walking around NYC when I found Thabeet (I'm on the right).

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Bruce Kuczenski when he was a sales rep for Paychex quite a number of years ago.

Reaction Score
Was in the same Intro to Film class as Ray, Friday mornings at 8AM. Also grew up with a walk on Kyle Chapman. AND Sarah Northway was in my Psych 133 lecture.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Was behind Andre Drummond at a frozen yogurt place on the Berlin tpke while he was on the Pistons.

Reaction Score
My friend almost ran over Hilton Armstrong with his car. I’m pretty sure me yelling from the passenger seat is the only reason that didn’t happen.

Reaction Score
Played against Al Frederick in community college a few times, met him years later on the concourse at the HCC and was nice enough to stop and throw some memories around. Played against Bruce K in HS..

Met KO, Kemba, Donny and Bazz at my sons basketball camps he attended.

Ran into Tony Robertson, Johnnie Time and Taliek at Electric Blue.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Kemba & Lamb when we played at the Pru Center a few years ago. They were still with charlotte

Bruce Kuczenski all the time, he works for Heartland now and stops by my office frequently. We talk UConn hoops a lot, even the Perno years

Abro, Hansen, Clay Johnson and many others too over the years, just can't recall them all and too lazy to try

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
When I was a young lad my brothers and I spotted Travis Knight at the old Ames in the East Brook Mall. We kinda stalked him for a bit and then went to tell my mom. She bought sharpies so we could get his autograph and then we waited outside Papa Gino’s while he had food with this girl he must have been on a date with. Finally he came out and signed autographs for us. My mom still says he is her favorite Husky because of how nice he was to us.

Reaction Score
Oooh. Almost forgot. Back in that day we had t shirts made with Tate George’s name on them. His mom connected with us and Tate ended up coming to my friend’s house to pick up some t shirts. He hung for a bit with a friend of his. Tate was friendly and nice and we took pics. This was before digital otherwise I’d share.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Played against Al Frederick in community college a few times, met him years later on the concourse at the HCC and was nice enough to stop and throw some memories around.
Gave Skinner a couple of rides home to Stamford when I was at UConn because I knew his younger brother via working with him at Long Ridge Camp

Met Jake Voskuhl at Ed Mitchell's in Westport after being tipped off he was working there one summer during school (an original NIL, Calhoun was buddies with the Mitchell brothers) doubt too many Wall Streeters were buying $1000+ suits from Jake.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Not a basketball player, but met Bryant Sheriffs at Barcelona in WeHa about six years ago. Down to earth dude.

Sat next to Giffey during the championship season in a class.

Charles Okwandu worked at Kohl's in Canton.

Didn't meet Shabeet but he sat diagonally in front of me at a football game. My brother and I switched tickets with a couple at halftime and we got much better seats.

Reaction Score
At Woodbridge CC Scott Burrell showed up at times. Chris Smith was a regular, always talked for a few minutes great guy. I teased him when the Calhoun alumni game was held, "You playing?". His answer was I'll be in the layup line, too old for that now. did not look it too me.
Now, here in FL, Joey Whelton is a member at the club I work at. Joey was a coach over in Europe for many years and helped Tony Hanson land his coaching job in the UK. Said he talks to Abro often, another great guy, always has time to chat.

Reaction Score
Played softball with John Thomas and Jack Robinson, you’ll never meet nicer people.
Also saw Donnie Marshall at the old Willimantic country club.

xclamations

Back2Back2
Reaction Score
I saw Charlie Villanueva & Josh Boone walking around westfarms mall when i was a kid once

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom