Ever run into a Husky? | The Boneyard

Ever run into a Husky?

Reaction Score
Someone recently posted about meeting Emeka Okafor while on vacation. Has anyone else ever ran into a UConn player outside of a school/basketball setting?

I've seen Ray Allen twice. Once at the old New London mall, but he was there to sign autographs. About 5 years ago, I was in line behind him at a UPS store.

I'm about 99.9% sure I saw Donnell Beverly while waiting on a plane at LAX. I didn't say anything to him, just because it would've been really awkward if turned out he was some other guy. Donnell or not, he had a burger that looked really good.

Reaction Score
If anyone runs into a Husky make sure you get his autograph

Reaction Score
Yes. Rashad Anderson at Westfarms Mall and Buckland; Ray Allen at a stop light in Seattle in his black Ferrari; Niels Giffey in Kensington; Donnell Beverley at a club in Hartford; Glen Miller at Ocho Cafe in West Hartford; Kemba Walker at Nordstrom in West Farms; Donny Marshall on a flight from Chicago to Hartford.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes. Rashad Anderson at Westfarms Mall and Buckland; Ray Allen at a stop light in Seattle in his black Ferrari; Niels Giffey in Kensington; Donnell Beverley at a club in Hartford; Glen Miller at Ocho Cafe in West Hartford; Kemba Walker at Nordstrom in West Farms; Donny Marshall on a flight from Chicago to Hartford.
Well that’s impressive.

Reaction Score
Chris Smith in Trumbull Mall
He was taller than he looked on the court relative to the other players those little guards amaze you when you stand next to them.
My Grandsons went to JC’s camp and Hilton was the coach for their group he was seriously big .

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Sat next to Jeremy Lamb in sociology discussion our 1st semester of freshman year. Had no idea who he was until I went to the first basketball game that season.

Reaction Score
Sat next to Jeremy Lamb in sociology discussion our 1st semester of freshman year. Had no idea who he was until I went to the first basketball game that season.
1659808337209.png

Reaction Score
I saw Cliff Robinson at the Milford Costco on Black Friday about 5-6 years ago.

Reaction Score
Held the door open to MSG for Charlie Villanueva.

I forget when it was. But since I've only been to UConn games at MSG for either the BET or else a holiday classic (UConn v. Iowa or Utah back in 2004), it had to be one of those two. Don't know why Charlie wasn't already there 1/2 hour before the game.

Reaction Score
I’ve got a few, mostly basketball related, in chronological order …

I started getting a media credential to the NBA draft back in 1987 when I was still in high school and started my school’s public access TV sports channel, WRMZ, and created a print ‘zine called “The MAAC Report” with a close friend. Mitch Buonaguro and Nick Macarchuk actually gave us interviews. Crazy times and the NBA gave credentials like candy on Halloween. So in June 1989, I was really excited because Uncle Cliffy was there to be drafted in the first round. Except he wasn’t. And he looked upset. I followed Cliff outside the Felt Forum with the professional members of The Horde and listened to Cliff talk about how he was going to prove the naysayers wrong. It wasn’t a personal interaction, but it was something I will never forget.

July 1993: I was in head-to-toe UConn gear sitting behind the Celtics bench for summer league at the Westchester County Center. Nadav gave me a thumbs up. After the game, I was able to use my 12 years of Jewish day school education and had a 10-minute conversation with him in hebrew. I probably couldn’t pull that off 30 years later. Breathed in some Red Auerbach cigar smoke that day as well.

I’ve run into Craig Austrie here in Stamford at the JCC and at Beldotti Bakery. True gentleman and an amazing representative of UConn basketball.

August 2014: a buddy of mine told me that Sheffer was making an unannounced appearance at my son’s former day camp in Greenwich. He knew that I had some interactions with Dom Amore previously and asked me to reach out to him. I tipped Dom off, he drove down to Greenwich and got an exclusive with Doron, and my son got a chance to play pickup with Doron. By that time, my Hebrew skills had degraded. So I had a nice conversation in English with the most modest athlete I have ever met.

I went in 2018 with my son to Ray’s book signing at RJ Julia in Middletown. Highlight of my Huskies fandom. 30-second conversation with Ray, but I had a great extended talk with his wife and with Rudy Johnson during the event.

Attachments

• 41FB47C3-63AB-4B0B-AA39-2C3D2BC216C7.jpeg
    41FB47C3-63AB-4B0B-AA39-2C3D2BC216C7.jpeg
    618.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 46AAED47-F805-4ED0-8D62-D6D838664C64.jpeg
    46AAED47-F805-4ED0-8D62-D6D838664C64.jpeg
    495.4 KB · Views: 146

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
E.J Harrison. He was working for the Parks Dept in Danbury.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I don't know if it counts as "running into" but I ran into Rip Hamilton at the top of the stairs at the AAC tourney. AD Benedict was sitting behind us for a couple games as well... so if he counts as a Husky, I ran into him and talked for a bit.

Reaction Score
Phil Gamble when he was coach at Hall high school , he was shooting hoops when i walked in came over introduced himself short conversation

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
My buddy and I ran into Edmund Saunders at a bar near the civic center before a game. We were all NVL grads so we had a lot to talk about. He is a great guy and we had a great visit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom