Ed Cooley to Georgetown | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Ed Cooley to Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
PC should refuse to bargain, especially after the way the team turtles this year. Now Cooley looks like a whore if he stays or goes.
If he’s leveraging for NIL I disagree with this.

I have spoken!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If he’s leveraging for NIL I disagree with this.

I have spoken!
My understanding of NIL is the school cannot source the money, so how it can make guarantees of funding when the money has to come from boosters, etc. is beyond me.

Reaction Score
He held a agun to PC's head last year..He signed a a new "lifetime" contract this past September... and has PREACHED Us, family, together, loyalty or so reasonable facsimile BS that he is now abandoning them...

I'm all for doing what's best for your family and if he can get 50% more from a new employer atleast be honest and say it's all about the $$$$$..Just don't suck in the true believers who hear what you say and actually believe you're being honest with all those BS platitudes..

I've enjoyed watching PC raise their brand..I enjoy the rivalry..But I have lost all respect for Cooley as a man...Take the money and run Ed...good freakin luck
His job REQUIRES that he get the entire university community to buy in what he is doing. Why anyone would believe it knowing that he has to do it whether he believes it or not is the question.

Reaction Score
My understanding of NIL is the school cannot source the money, so how it can make guarantees of funding when the money has to come from boosters, etc. is beyond me.
I’m assuming it’s the emphasis on fund raising. Rather than hitting up alums for money for the program, they push them to give to NIL. If they promise him more than the athletic department brings in currently, then they’re obviously lying. I’m also assuming that Georgetown has commitments from alums to fund NIL opportunities if Cooley comes.

Reaction Score
I guess you have to give the devil his due. He certainly made a good case for himself that all the accusations against him by "AD's" and other "non legal types" proved to be nothing more than just picking on poor Rickey and besmirching his character. In a sense he is right. When the NCAA says your guilty (like the IRS) the burden of proof is on you to clear yourself. But he neglected to add that his contract covers non tort matters like ethics and standards as well. The press did not cry "Objection" !!! "Counsel is up to his old grandstanding" (ala Perry Mason).

I agree also about him making a great villain that the BY can obsess about and turn up everyone's blood pressure. I admire his tenacity and sticking to the press every year as a way of bringing it on defense. For him it is by design including recruiting the speed and roughneck rebounders and shot blockers. In truth I hope he does not go to St John's because with that recruiting area and spotlight he could turn them into a contender in no time. Another "worthy opponent" if not exactly an ethical one.
The NCAA "investigations" are laughable. They do not allow and cross examination for one. They are one of the big reasons Ollie won his arbitration case. In his case the NCAA based everything on Miller's testimony. According to the findings, not one person associated with the program corroborated said testimony, which caused them to totally discount the NCAA findings. So they basically start with a premise and work their way backwards.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

I’m assuming it’s the emphasis on fund raising. Rather than hitting up alums for money for the program, they push them to give to NIL. If they promise him more than the athletic department brings in currently, then they’re obviously lying. I’m also assuming that Georgetown has commitments from alums to fund NIL opportunities if Cooley comes.
Yes which echoes what @FriarJ has written in post #285 in the Patrick Ewing is gone thread.

I have spoken!

Reaction Score
Coaching D1 sports is so different than any other regular gig. I don't think the comparison is at all relevant.

The reason to believe Cooley more than others is that it was his hometown gig. Edsall calling Maryland his dream job.. doesn't exactly hold the same cache.

I don't think anyone is begrudging him for taking the gig. Just think a lot of people feel kinda betrayed because he talked a big game and then bailed to a gig in the same league.
He was as successful as he was precisely because he not just talked the big game but sold it. Is he supposed to be less successful as a coach by not trying to sell everyone that he thinks he's in the best job in the world? No. He's supposed to use all his weapons to do his job as long as he has it, but no longer.

People get what they deserve if they believe a college coach any more than they would believe a politician.

Reaction Score
I fee like he has to leave. How can anyone feel confident having him lead the program anymore at PC when his responses to the media have been sounding like he has one foot out the door. He’s never once said he wants to remain at Providence or anything of the sort. It’s pretty clear that it’s only a matter of time before he leaves. He’s burned a lot of bridges over the past few days with his comments

My opinion is that with Casual Hoya saying he’s their next coach, then he’s their next coach. That dude is plugged in
Sure sounds like things have soured to the point of no return. PC board is imploding and most hate him. They actually think Billy Donovan or the Celtics guy are interested in replacing him :)
Now that PC has a new contract offer on the table watch all their chat board back track on the hate they spewed on Cooley if he accepts :)

ctchamps

Reaction Score
He was as successful as he was precisely because he not just talked the big game but sold it. Is he supposed to be less successful as a coach by not trying to sell everyone that he thinks he's in the best job in the world? No. He's supposed to use all his weapons to do his job as long as he has it, but no longer.

People get what they deserve if they believe a college coach any more than they would believe a politician.
I believe college coaches more than politicians and lawyers. So if you tell us not to believe college coaches does that mean we should believe college coaches? This is a rhetorical question for the Boneyard non lawyer members.

I have spoken! This is the way!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I would hate to be in a position where we begged to keep a middling also-ran coach like Cooley. Especially after watching him completely collapse their way through March.
Shoo Shoo Retired Jurrrdge on vacation.

I have spoken!

Reaction Score
Maybe Cooley is just using this as leverage to get more out of Providence? Happens all the time in the real world, why can’t it be true in this case?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maybe Cooley is just using this as leverage to get more out of Providence? Happens all the time in the real world, why can’t it be true in this case?
I'm thinking because he signed a new deal last year,

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If something goes wrong with the Georgetown deal and he wants to stay….PC really has to think about firing him. He’s done actual harm here.
Instead it appears they offered him a raise. PC gotta PC.

Reaction Score

Nate Watson's dad sounds like a guy who works at a car wash or uses a urinal next to @Chief00

I just was reminded that Cooley has been to one Sweet Sixteen in seven tournament appearances.

I like Cooley, seems like a great guy and he's a talented coach, but like, he's been coaching D1 for seventeen years and has very little to show for it.

He's like college basketball's coaching version of Bobby Grich. Consistently pretty good to really good.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking because he signed a new deal last year,
The contract can’t be amended?

Cooley truly might not be interested in GTown but the minute he says that publicly he has no leverage with PC.

Cooley knows GTown has deeper pockets than PC however I’m also sure Cooley knows PC can’t do much better - so they’re prob willing to match or come close to what GTown can offer (to a certain extent obviously).

I think he might stay.

Hoopcrazee

Hoopcrazee
Reaction Score
If somebody offers you millions more to do the same job, and provides you the resources to be successful, you talk to your family and make the best decision for everyone involved. Players and schools know the deal and they all "play the game". Catch up people, the college sports world changed a long time ago. At least Ed didn't jump ship and leave his team at the airport.
Actually, he pretty much did ..witness last 3 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc