Ed Cooley to Georgetown | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Ed Cooley to Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Right now Rick Pitino/St. Johns are feeling like an abandoned babies in the UConn desert. Are we spending too much attention on this bit of Cooley/PC drama and ignoring the other!

I mean after the beat down we gave Iona you would think Pitino would reconsider coming to the BE. Instead he gives a shout out to our coach and team. In just a few weeks the likable and respected coach becomes the villain and the disrespected coach looks like the redeemed! You can't make this shyster up!

Confession: I could not think of beat down initially and the only thing that came to my head is drumming!

This is not ChatGpt's way! I have spoken!
I guess you have to give the devil his due. He certainly made a good case for himself that all the accusations against him by "AD's" and other "non legal types" proved to be nothing more than just picking on poor Rickey and besmirching his character. In a sense he is right. When the NCAA says your guilty (like the IRS) the burden of proof is on you to clear yourself. But he neglected to add that his contract covers non tort matters like ethics and standards as well. The press did not cry "Objection" !!! "Counsel is up to his old grandstanding" (ala Perry Mason).

I agree also about him making a great villain that the BY can obsess about and turn up everyone's blood pressure. I admire his tenacity and sticking to the press every year as a way of bringing it on defense. For him it is by design including recruiting the speed and roughneck rebounders and shot blockers. In truth I hope he does not go to St John's because with that recruiting area and spotlight he could turn them into a contender in no time. Another "worthy opponent" if not exactly an ethical one.

Reaction Score
the guy has benefitted more than anyone from the extra Covid year and transfer window, but neither will be as easy to compete with going forward. he has won three NCAA tourney games in 12 years at PC. I mean what are you paying for here? he's mediocre

Reaction Score
the guy has benefitted more than anyone from the extra Covid year and transfer window, but neither will be as easy to compete with going forward. he has won three NCAA tourney games in 12 years at PC. I mean what are you paying for here? he's mediocre
Mediocre would be the best Georgetown has had in almost 20 years

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
He made PC a National player. Why would he not achieve the same success with more resources at GT?
You mean,
1679167400894.gif

International playa from the Himalayas

Reaction Score
He has no head coaching experience at all. Not even high school. Iona is a perfect opportunity for him if they would be willing to hire him. Considering they've been successful under Pitino, it's possible they may want a proven head coach again.
Love Kimani, but like you say, give him a shot with s short contract. I think he’s a NYC guy so he might thrive in the MAAC getting 3 stars and using the portal.

Reaction Score
I personally don’t see Georgetown coming back to anything close to what they used to be. DC is a strange place… mostly transplants from liberal and Ivy League schools and not the local following that a state university like UConn has. Their ceiling is maybe a tick higher than PC’s ceiling when Cooley was there only because the DMV area has come good talent. Cooley is a scumbag. While he often comes across as Mr. NiceGuy while speaking he is a snake behind the scenes. Wish the board knew half of the BS that went on with Corey Floyd Jr. At the end of the day actions speak and words are just words.

Reaction Score
We can see that next weekend. Big 12 isn’t adding Gonzaga or any basketball only teams. It’s just a feint aimed at the Pac schools they want. They just signed a new TV deal already and are adding a pretty solid Houston program. Losing UT sure, but OU hasn’t done much since the Tisdale teams.
Probably but expect surprises like the last couple years.

Reaction Score
They can not care about both. The sad truth for Providence fans is they had a solid 18 months of getting to feel what it’s like to be a winner, and now you’re back to the basement where you belong.

Reaction Score
Right now Rick Pitino/St. Johns are feeling like an abandoned babies in the UConn desert. Are we spending too much attention on this bit of Cooley/PC drama and ignoring the other!

I mean after the beat down we gave Iona you would think Pitino would reconsider coming to the BE. Instead he gives a shout out to our coach and team. In just a few weeks the likable and respected coach becomes the villain and the disrespected coach looks like the redeemed! You can't make this shyster up!

Confession: I could not think of beat down initially and the only thing that came to my head is drumming!

This is not ChatGpt's way! I have spoken!
Yeah it is amazing what can change in 6 weeks or whatever as far as perceptions go. Ed Cooley had that image of being a great likeable guy being everyone's favorite father of Providence in the same way the guy who plays TV Dad on those Progressive Auto insurance commercials. Now that shine of that image has been chipped away for sure.

As for Pitino, he was always seen as slimy and slick and no one really believed Iona was going to be his last coaching stop.

Reaction Score
They’re one really bad coach removed from John Thompson. Georgetown as a university is national so it’ll always be a national program. They were just a top team in 2012. I don’t know why so many people on this board think Georgetown has been Patrick Ewing bad since the 90s. Lol

Georgetown made the NIT in 52-53 and again in 69-70. Thompson showed up in 72-73 and had a HOF run (including a Natty in 84) until 89-90. In five seasons Esherick made one sweet sixteen and no other trips to the NCAA. JT3 started strong with a Sweet Sixteen and Final Four in 06-07 before fading and missing the tourney in his last couple of years. Ewing had a pretty poor 6 years winning 75 and losing 109.

They are not exactly a blue blood. They are a solid program, coasting on Thompson legacy, nothing special, and lately Providence has been better.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
8 tournament appearances in his 12 years there.

Took 30 years for them to have 8 tournament appearances pre-Cooley. Lol

Reaction Score
I don't get the anger. Cooley has a chance to get a big payday. Who among us wouldn't do so. Obviously PC's ceiling isn't nearly as high as Georgetown's. Odd that conference teams are going after coaches in the same conference, That happens almost never.

Reaction Score
He has no head coaching experience at all. Not even high school. Iona is a perfect opportunity for him if they would be willing to hire him. Considering they've been successful under Pitino, it's possible they may want a proven head coach again.
Good point. Guess that’s why I don’t follow it too much. Still surprised Neptune is coaching Villanova after one year at Fordham.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Couldn’t disagree more. I want every younger partner at my law firm to tell everyone he works with this is his dream job and they should be lucky to be contributing here. It’s his or her job to sell that. But do I expect them to turn down a job offer to go somewhere else that at the end of the day is better for them and their family? Of course not.

Coaching D1 sports is so different than any other regular gig. I don't think the comparison is at all relevant.

The reason to believe Cooley more than others is that it was his hometown gig. Edsall calling Maryland his dream job.. doesn't exactly hold the same cache.

I don't think anyone is begrudging him for taking the gig. Just think a lot of people feel kinda betrayed because he talked a big game and then bailed to a gig in the same league.

Reaction Score
I believe NIL is a piece of this. Recruiting now requires a commitment from the university and it's donors to step up. Hard to recruit well if you can't match or do better than other coaches. From what I've read a promise of more NIL than Providence offers is part of the deal.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The Nick Saban approach on how to continually get a new contract.
PC should refuse to bargain, especially after the way the team turtles this year. Now Cooley looks like a whore if he stays or goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom