Ed Cooley to Georgetown | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Ed Cooley to Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I hope the switch in programs doesn’t make him stop lecturing us on how to be fans. I don’t know what we would do.
Oh I'm sure it won't; he's going from PC to DC. He's just getting warmed up.

Reaction Score
Couldn’t disagree more. I want every younger partner at my law firm to tell everyone he works with this is his dream job and they should be lucky to be contributing here. It’s his or her job to sell that. But do I expect them to turn down a job offer to go somewhere else that at the end of the day is better for them and their family? Of course not
Your young partners aren't the face of the entire firm and they aren't on tv giving interviews that all your clients watch, and your clients aren't all emotionally invested in the success of your firm.

Reaction Score
The thought that he can’t ever live in Rhode Island because he’s leaving PC Is laughable.

He can buy a house in Newport. Those people have never even heard of Providence College.
And he can buy an much bigger house than if he stayed

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And everyone wearing spoiled and arrogant shirts!

This definitely is the way!
I‘m breaking mine out tomorrow. Those are mojo gold.

Now Ed may want to consider just how spoiled and arrogant his own student body is going to be at Georgetown.

Reaction Score
What a lot of fans really don't get is that the vast majority of these coaches are hired guns. Personally, I don't blame them for a moment. Because as soon as there is rough sledding and some losses these fanbases get very focal about canning these guys. In return for that fans expect loyalty?

It's all a about the money folks. The first college or pro program that offers Hurley the right opportunity will put UCONN fans in the same boat. Way of life.......
UConn is obviously going to have to pay Hurley more as his resume gets better but the only places in the country I could realistically see him jetting to if the situation arises in the future are UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas. It's not at all the same thing, UConn is a huge national brand.

As for Cooley, he spent the last 12 years talking about loyalty and family. He needed Providence and Providence needed him. It's fine he's leaving his hometown team for another Big East program but he's completely full of cr@p. One thing I'll give him credit for is getting 4 mil. per out of Providence and (reportedly) 6 mil. out of Georgetown. The guy clearly knows how to play the game, DC should be the perfect town for him.

This also shows me Ronny and the rest of the Thompson holdovers are still running things at Georgetown. There seems to be a good chance this will be another Georgetown mess, not the debacle of the Ewing era because Cooley can coach but they may be holding another huge bag down the road.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
As for the third paragraph, no, I understand that the players may not to be able to handle it without letting up, but why is that the coach’s issue? That means they can’t ever leave for a better job. And, in today’s game, it’s not like every player sitting isn’t considering entering the portal for playing time and every player playing is asking if they can finish their career playing for a bigger time program.
If it's players taking responsibility for the school work I agree. But not game time performances.

This action by Cooley is analogous to a musical conductor where every one in the orchestra was aware of drinking too much before the concert. It may not be noticeable to the audience but the orchestra members would be impacted by the subtle changes to the conducting.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Even with all the good, reasonable, thoughtful, funny comments here, plus no identified love for Providence, I'd still like to see Cooley do poorly at Georgetown. Just a personal preference.

Other randoms:

I’m pretty sure you can’t use that option if you follow your coach

I don't know the rules here, but it does have a vibe that's similar to murderers pleading for mercy from the court on the basis of their being orphans, after having been convicted of killing their parents.

"
The thought that he can’t ever live in Rhode Island because he’s leaving PC Is laughable.

He can buy a house in Newport. Those people have never even heard of Providence College.
Newport's a rabid Salve Regina town.

Imagine a UConn vs Kansas game on prime time :)
Lots of people already are, but I'm a one-game-at-a-time guy.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Dream Jobbed 2.0 said:
I’m pretty sure you can’t use that option if you follow your coach

I don't know the rules here, but it does have a vibe that's similar to murderers pleading for mercy from the court on the basis of their being orphans, after having been convicted of killing their parents.
This is the hilarious way! You have spoken!

Reaction Score
Ed Cooley is a good man. A very good man. He performed admirably in his years at PC. What else do you want? Undying loyalty? Ain’t gonna happen. Like anyone else, he’s looking out for the best for himself and his family. Welcome to America!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UConn is obviously going to have to pay Hurley more as his resume gets better but the only places in the country I could realistically see him jetting to if the situation arises in the future are UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas. It's not at all the same thing, UConn is a huge national brand.

As for Cooley, he spent the last 12 years talking about loyalty and family. He needed Providence and Providence needed him. It's fine he's leaving his hometown team for another Big East program but he's completely full of cr@p. One thing I'll give him credit for is getting 4 mil. per out of Providence and 6 mil. out of Georgetown. The guy clearly knows how to play the game, DC should be the perfect town for him.

This also shows me Ronny and the rest of the Thompson holdovers are still running things at Georgetown. There seems to be a good chance this will be another Georgetown mess, not the debacle of the Ewing era because Cooley can coach but they may be holding another huge bag down the road.
That’s one of the points I was trying to make. We’d be pissed if Hurley left, but less pissed if it was for one of those jobs. We’d get it. But what if he left to go to Syracuse? Georgetown isn’t some epic upgrade over PC. You’re right, he will probably get them to where PC is now, but I’m not sure he can do more than that. They have institutional money but the AD isn’t flush like SEC and B1G schools.

Self not coaching again today. Concerns me that the heart thing may mean that job comes open sooner than I thought. We all knew Roy would eventually go back to UNC even though he turned them down twice. I think he felt guilty Matt Doherty was so terrible since he got him the job. But I have no idea who they’d look to to replace Self unless Jacque Vaughn leaves the NBA.

Reaction Score
I don't get the Georgetown love. They were more a coach (John Thompson) than a program. They faded as a national brand and did little after he left. They are a clear second to Maryland in their own market. They haven't come close to filling the Verizon Center in decades and that is unlikely to change very soon. And he will have to compete with other national programs have deep recruiting ties to the area.

Cooley can probably have the same amount of success at Georgetown as he had in Rhode Island. That would be an improvement. But the idea he makes them a national player is iffy at best.
He made PC a National player. Why would he not achieve the same success with more resources at GT?

Reaction Score
Your young partners aren't the face of the entire firm and they aren't on tv giving interviews that all your clients watch, and your clients aren't all emotionally invested in the success of your firm.
All true. Which is why people listening to coaches should assume that just because you put a microphone in front of their faces doesn’t make them the only executives in America who speak for the purpose of transmitting the truth.

Hoopcrazee

Hoopcrazee
Reaction Score
Ed Cooley is a good man. A very good man. He performed admirably in his years at PC. What else do you want? Undying loyalty? Ain’t gonna happen. Like anyone else, he’s looking out for the best for himself and his family. Welcome to America!
He held a agun to PC's head last year..He signed a a new "lifetime" contract this past September... and has PREACHED Us, family, together, loyalty or so reasonable facsimile BS that he is now abandoning them...

I'm all for doing what's best for your family and if he can get 50% more from a new employer atleast be honest and say it's all about the $$$$$..Just don't suck in the true believers who hear what you say and actually believe you're being honest with all those BS platitudes..

I've enjoyed watching PC raise their brand..I enjoy the rivalry..But I have lost all respect for Cooley as a man...Take the money and run Ed...good freakin luck

Reaction Score
Just don't suck in the true believers who hear what you say and actually believe you're being honest with all those BS platitudes..
This is what it all comes down to. No idea how any college basketball fan could fall for this trap again and again that any coach is being honest when they talk. It's like Charlie Brown and the football

Reaction Score
If somebody offers you millions more to do the same job, and provides you the resources to be successful, you talk to your family and make the best decision for everyone involved. Players and schools know the deal and they all "play the game". Catch up people, the college sports world changed a long time ago. At least Ed didn't jump ship and leave his team at the airport.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Villanova is respected and up there as well.
Yes well respected and no coincidence that very good or even great coaches bring respect. Without top notch coaching and to some extent brand respect will fade away. DH is at somewhat of a crossroads. He (and staff) are killing it recruiting. Now he just needs to keep improving. I don't think there really any Hurley haters on this board to speak of. It's just frustration at some of his stubbornness at times but to his credit he seems to be working that stuff out.

Reaction Score
Cooleys floor at Gtown will be where he’s had PC; a Borderline top 25 tourney team. It’s better for the conference for Gtown to be relevant than PC. It’s one of the only 4 programs to have won a chip.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Right now Rick Pitino/St. Johns are feeling like an abandoned babies in the UConn desert. Are we spending too much attention on this bit of Cooley/PC drama and ignoring the other!

I mean after the beat down we gave Iona you would think Pitino would reconsider coming to the BE. Instead he gives a shout out to our coach and team. In just a few weeks the likable and respected coach becomes the villain and the disrespected coach looks like the redeemed! You can't make this shyster up!

Confession: I could not think of beat down initially and the only thing that came to my head is drumming!

This is not ChatGpt's way! I have spoken!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

As for Cooley, he spent the last 12 years talking about loyalty and family. He needed Providence and Providence needed him. It's fine he's leaving his hometown team for another Big East program but he's completely full of cr@p. One thing I'll give him credit for is getting 4 mil. per out of Providence and (reportedly) 6 mil. out of Georgetown. The guy clearly knows how to play the game, DC should be the perfect town for him.

Your comments reminded me of Syracuse and the powers that be behind the face of the team. What a mess. I don't see Cooley being any kind of savior for Georgetown. Especially if these same people who hired Ewing are running things behind the scene.

Reaction Score
And he was tight with the Thompson family. I still don’t think he leaves PC.

But this might be the worst-handled coaching carousel situation I can remember.
I fee like he has to leave. How can anyone feel confident having him lead the program anymore at PC when his responses to the media have been sounding like he has one foot out the door. He’s never once said he wants to remain at Providence or anything of the sort. It’s pretty clear that it’s only a matter of time before he leaves. He’s burned a lot of bridges over the past few days with his comments

My opinion is that with Casual Hoya saying he’s their next coach, then he’s their next coach. That dude is plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom