Dangerfield | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Dangerfield

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The knee-jerk defensive response of "your" fanbase is hilarious. Both are freshmen and have experienced highs and lows, it happens with most of them.
Exactly.

Reaction Score
Um, why not give her credit for stealing the inbound pass, which totally removed the biggest threat which is that Tulane would score on that last possession? Isn't that more important than not dribbling away from the defender to avoid being fouled, or missing free throws? And that was also a play made under considerable game pressure.
JoePgh---I AGREE! Attacking the basket with the ball and making the score 4 point differential i.e. 2 possessions was a smart move --rather than dribble , get fouled , and wonder if you can make those shots.
The pressure for Danger at that precise moment ---after missing 4--was astronomical .. I could not agree more. Nothing Crystal did in the final moment wasn't SmART...

Reaction Score
I believe no more than five or six. There was a write up here in the St. Louis Post Dispatch about her starting. About three days later, she was out of the starting lineup.

Question : If Collier, Gabby, KLS didn't start this year---who then?? Some year's Geno's starting five --are selected for him. Geno's choices were not many--he was stuck with what he got--and he was very lucky..

Reaction Score
That may be true, but she played like an AA against Connecticut and if she'd gotten any help from SWK or anyone else(Kaila Charles was in foul trouble) that game may have ended differently. The tOSU game is an unfair comparison, because she spent the evening guarding Kelsey Mitchell not an easy task for any single player, not named Moriah Jefferson....
Understood, however you have to admit they (Maryland) haven't had the hardest schedule in the US this year...so how much pressure was she under? (They are paying the price for that schedule with their seeding...) Point is, Danger has been hurt and under a bit more real pressure. She will be fine going forward...in fact the case can be made that she is ahead of where MoJeff was at the same time in her career.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Understood, however you have to admit they (Maryland) haven't had the hardest schedule in the US this year...so how much pressure was she under? (They are paying the price for that schedule with their seeding...) Point is, Danger has been hurt and under a bit more real pressure. She will be fine going forward...in fact the case can be made that she is ahead of where MoJeff was at the same time in her career.
I don't necessarily agree. I use the eye test and UM certainly looks like one of the four best teams in the country, despite the relative ease of their schedule. I'm a fan of Crystal Dangerfield and you make the same points I made about her after the Baylor game. Slocum is in a completely different circumstance. Crystal Dangerfield will be fine....

Reaction Score
I've been wondering who between Gabby, Kia or Napheesa would not start next year, my assumption being Azura, Lou and Crystal were locks. But this is the time of year Geno says, "You're no longer a freshman." Crystal clearly still is way down the freshman curve. Whether that's maturity, injuries, or some combination, it is what it is.

Recently Geno talked about Gabby acquiring more guard skills. And yesterday at the interview during practice he clearly called Lou a guard. I still think Azura is a lock to start next year. I'm thinking...

1- Kia
2- Lou
3- Gabby
4- Napheesa
4/5- Azura

Crystal is obviously hugely talented, but to me it's starting to look like it will be year-after-next before she runs the point.

It's funny. I was just thinking of the same line up. My opinion on Crystal is that she will run the point, just the second unit or when Kia is sitting or "moves over" to to shooting guard when Geno want the team to play small ball. Geno will have many options and more headaches trying to dole out minutes next year.

It is a difficult adjustment coming in as Freshman and I don't see them, although very talented, getting many minutes as they are adjusting to the high expectations of UCONN early on. I think MW would be an exception and will see more playing time than the other freshmen. She can be explosive.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The late Randy Smith, Connecticut's best sports writer, had a rule of thumb when it came to UConn WBB players and teams. He'd say, "how are you going to judge, by the way they play against the varsity or the JV's?" Dangerfield has been a major player against the varsity. A few turnovers against the JV's doesn't bother me too much.

Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield is and will be awesome. Much more to come from this young baller!

Reaction Score
Really ? Just what pressure has Danger faced before the Tulane game ? Besides coming in and fitting in w/ 4 starters . And why isn't Slocum hitting that big freeshman wall ?

Destiny will not be better than Crystal. She's good but I've seen her kind before. No structure, too wild. She will be another damn I forgot her name. The girl that went to Louisville with her sister. You take Destiny and I take Crystal all day.

Reaction Score
Destiny will not be better than Crystal. She's good but I've seen her kind before. No structure, too wild. She will be another damn I forgot her name. The girl that went to Louisville with her sister. You take Destiny and I take Crystal all day.

I think you mean Shoni Schimmel. Nice comparison. Another is Arike Ogunbowale of Notre Dame. Supreme confidence, swag for days, and unlimited range -- but lacking in discipline. To be fair, Crystal might have been a "wild child" if she played for a coach who was afraid to tame her. To her credit, she chose to come to UCONN because she wanted to be coached up.

Reaction Score
I never said that I didn't think she had potential to be a great player. I just thought she would have made more progress at this stage. Even Geno compared her to MoJeff earlier in the season.

Reaction Score
I never said that I didn't think she had potential to be a great player. I just thought she would have made more progress at this stage. Even Geno compared her to MoJeff earlier in the season.

Geno did compare. He said Danger is better than MoJeff at the same stage in their careers

Reaction Score
I remember Moriah being just like Crystal is now her freshman year. It just takes time. I think soon enough, not this year but at least the end of next I expect consistency.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think you mean Shoni Schimmel. Nice comparison. Another is Arike Ogunbowale of Notre Dame. Supreme confidence, swag for days, and unlimited range -- but lacking in discipline. To be fair, Crystal might have been a "wild child" if she played for a coach who was afraid to tame her. To her credit, she chose to come to UCONN because she wanted to be coached up.
This time last season Ogunbowale and Mabry were getting a lot of playing time and seemed to be outplaying Samuelson and Collier, who were still learning the Uconn system. A year later, The ND players are still playing at about the same level. The confidence and swagger are still there, but they are inconsistent and still undisciplined and are not being considered for an AA award. Collier and Samuelson are playing at an AA level after learning the Uconn way. So, as someone pointed out, coaching makes a big difference. I believe Crystal will improve just as much as Collier and Samuelson has because she will not be allowed to play other than the Uconn way.

Reaction Score
I remember Moriah being just like Crystal is now her freshman year. It just takes time. I think soon enough, not this year but at least the end of next I expect consistency.
MoJeff was really good ball handler coming right out of h.s.

Reaction Score
Regarding Slocum's OSU game, coming into the OSU game, Slocum was coming off an illness (flu?), thus the reason she looked so gassed during that game. Normally she is a ball of energy, non stop. You could also see how her passes were not as sharp as usual. She was held out of the game before OSU because of the illness and did not have a full practice until the day before the OSU game. While I'm not making excuses for her, I don't think you saw her at 100%.
You are right about Slocum's game in the Ohio Game. She clunked shots, including the last one, that she rarely ever misses.
I noticed her not being the same Slocum that played Uconn--had she been the same--an easy MD win. Any one who disregards Slocums talent--does it at their teams own peril. Much like Dangerfield will be in the Tournament

Reaction Score
MoJeff was really good ball handler coming right out of h.s.
What is wrong with the way Danger handles the ball?? I can't disagree with your assessment of Moriah, I thought she walked on water from the day she arrived. I have the same sort of beliefs in Danger's abilities and talents--the Baylor game was no fluke, that was the real Crystal. Everything since is learning and health issues--believe, she deserves it.

Reaction Score
What is wrong with the way Danger handles the ball?? I can't disagree with your assessment of Moriah, I thought she walked on water from the day she arrived. I have the same sort of beliefs in Danger's abilities and talents--the Baylor game was no fluke, that was the real Crystal. Everything since is learning and health issues--believe, she deserves it.
I never said she couldn't handle ball. But,Moriah was an exceptionally good ball handler that rarely lost the ball driving into the lane, even as a freshman.

Reaction Score
You are right about Slocum's game in the Ohio Game. She clunked shots, including the last one, that she rarely ever misses.
I noticed her not being the same Slocum that played Uconn--had she been the same--an easy MD win. Any one who disregards Slocums talent--does it at their teams own peril. Much like Dangerfield will be in the Tournament

I have to disagree with some of this. Slocum was guarding Mitchell. She was extremely tired chasing her around the court. I believe that's why she missed those shots. And to say it would have been an easy win for MD if she made them, I doubt it. But I am not disregarding her talent at all.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree with some of this. Slocum was guarding Mitchell. She was extremely tired chasing her around the court. I believe that's why she missed those shots. And to say it would have been an easy win for MD if she made them, I doubt it. But I am not disregarding her talent at all.

How much did MD lose by---how many 3's or layups , she usually made, did she miss---add that number to the final MD score and you have your answer.
Chasing Mitchell around, while playing with the flu, would be debilitating--if that was true. I choose to believe she missed shots she normally would have made and that was the difference in the game. When it comes to a player missing shots--there are no facts--only beliefs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom