Dangerfield | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dangerfield

Reaction Score
Like a lot of posters, being a very long time husky fan , I tend to be a lot tougher criticizing men's basketball than women's. Why? First of all, god forbid we are negative concerning " our ladies " about anything, especially on this board. When I watch our ladies play, I try and separate what my eyes see from " my attachment " to this team. I think it is high time Dangerfield begins to start playing to a " higher " standard ! She came into the program as the highest rated point guard, with a long list of USA basketball and hs credentials. We see a few flashes of " brilliance ", and suddenly everyone go OOH , AAH ! THEN I watch Destiny Slocum ! Enough said. Danger was put in a highly pressurized , end of game situation against tulane, really for the first time. Totally different situation than against Baylor. The look on Danger's face at the line against Tulane, was that of an Fear/AWAKENING . The next couple of weeks will be make or break her as far as this season goes , and how she is utilized during the tournament !

An old old long time UC Men and then Women's fan --I rarely pull punches on either---but truthfully it IS harder to say a kids you know is trying their best--as the biggest failure in colleg basketball. But some fans have.
Danger --only after missing two earlier--on the line against Tulane --looked like she wanted to be any where else in the USA than on that line. She felt intense pressure--more I am sure than any other game in her life.
Danger, as I have written often, was my preseason Uconn Freshman to excel beyond expectations then came a concussion (again, is she really over this??), then the foot, and then the dog houses--with each limiting her PT--my entire life I believe you prepare in practice--but you LEARN in real games--and Crystal had few of those.
We have seen other Freshmen--who were deer in headlights --then came of age in the Tourney.
Will Crystal?? She'll not be Moriah as a senior , this year--keep expectations REAL.

Reaction Score
Like a lot of posters, being a very long time husky fan , I tend to be a lot tougher criticizing men's basketball than women's. Why? First of all, god forbid we are negative concerning " our ladies " about anything, especially on this board. When I watch our ladies play, I try and separate what my eyes see from " my attachment " to this team. I think it is high time Dangerfield begins to start playing to a " higher " standard ! She came into the program as the highest rated point guard, with a long list of USA basketball and hs credentials. We see a few flashes of " brilliance ", and suddenly everyone go OOH , AAH ! THEN I watch Destiny Slocum ! Enough said. Danger was put in a highly pressurized , end of game situation against tulane, really for the first time. Totally different situation than against Baylor. The look on Danger's face at the line against Tulane, was that of an Fear/AWAKENING . The next couple of weeks will be make or break her as far as this season goes , and how she is utilized during the tournament !

Kinda early to expect these lofty expectations that you have from a freshman at Connecticut. As posters previously stated above, she's been injured and missed time. Also players ranked as high and in some instances, higher have had their struggles as freshman playing for this school. (Also great points mentioned above). We all know how that turned out. Let's get her completely healthy, more experienced and confident and see what happens.

My final point is even though she has the accolades from AAU and USA tournament ball, playing college is a different game and she'll adjust.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Slocum did in fact hit the freshman wall Head bang

As far as Danger is concerned I will remind everyone what Mo told her during her recruiting visit about what she would face at UConn, "They will break you down and build you back up again."

No one knows that better than Mo, who's performance was inconsistent throughout her freshman season. By the time she left Mo was the best PG in the nation.

Let's give Danger a break. She's doing fine and she will be a great player before she's done at UConn.
IN THE NATION??? In the WORLD--look at her result in Europe-.
I wrote nearly the same --comment about Danger --below. I'm not certain she'll be fine--I'm not sure what that means exactly--but we'll see a different Danger--or she'll sit. She needs these next few game --with lots of PT---to develop a feel for the team and a lost confidence to return.

Reaction Score
And she's missed a bunch of games and practices with two injuries. Her decision making has been noticeably better as of late. Some folks forget what an adventure it was having Mo out there when she was just a freshman.

You're absolutely correct, HF 21. Frosh Mo was definitely not Junior or Senior Mo. Teams laid off Jefferson because she couldn't hit a 3 during her first season. She got MUCH better in time and finally became probably the most talented point guard in UConn history. Whether Crystal will follow the same trajectory is anyone's guess. No one doubts she has the talent, and being tossed into a must-play role absent Kia isn't easy on a team that never loses. There have been several highlights for Dangerfield this season and a lot of ordinary performances. I admit that seeing her miss the fouls shots that could have put the game away at Tulane was an embarrassment of sorts. No quality player should choke from the free-throw line repeatedly. But it happens, and it's done. Better days lie ahead for Crystal and for our Huskies. We are dealing with homo sapiens not a homo deus. Let's keep the faith.

Reaction Score
From Geno's comments during the year it sounds like at the beginning of the year Dangerfield just wasn't working very hard (by his standards - she probably thought she'd never make it thru practice), and that the effort is still inconsistent. Combined with a certain "hard-headedness" that seems to be present with a lot of highly touted, all-everything, players. Stewie had it, Maya did, Dee, Sveta did, etc. Along with the pressure she carries of "no-Kia". All that said, she's getting better, and she'll be fine, but it will probably be sometime next year before she earns the elusive "Geno trust".
No she may gain Geno's trust on Senior Nite of her Senior year. Maya --hard headed?? That nice-est-sweet-est, hard playing kid?? Never! DT--Sveta--Tina--you bet.

Reaction Score
Really ? Just what pressure has Danger faced before the Tulane game ? Besides coming in and fitting in w/ 4 starters . And why isn't Slocum hitting that big freeshman wall ?

The pressure to perform at UCONN is one answer to your first question. The answer(s) to your second question are that Slocum is on the court more and as of now, has more playing experience and confidence than Crystal Dangerfield. The wall doesn't always come up in a freshman year.

Reaction Score
You're absolutely correct, HF 21. Frosh Mo was definitely not Junior or Senior Mo. Teams laid off Jefferson because she couldn't hit a 3 during her first season. She got MUCH better in time and finally became probably the most talented point guard in UConn history. Whether Crystal will follow the same trajectory is anyone's guess. No one doubts she has the talent, and being tossed into a must-play role absent Kia isn't easy on a team that never loses. There have been several highlights for Dangerfield this season and a lot of ordinary performances. I admit that seeing her miss the fouls shots that could have put the game away at Tulane was an embarrassment of sorts. No quality player should choke from the free-throw line repeatedly. But it happens, and it's done. Better days lie ahead for Crystal and for our Huskies. We are dealing with homo sapiens not a homo deus. Let's keep the faith.

Isn't it interesting that when the Category for Humans was established---they called them SAP--iens.
Robotic WBB players would be so much more predictable--

Reaction Score
Kinda early to expect these lofty expectations that you have from a freshman at Connecticut. As posters previously stated above, she's been injured and missed time. Also players ranked as high and in some instances, higher have had their struggles as freshman playing for this school. (Also great points mentioned above). We all know how that turned out. Let's get her completely healthy, more experienced and confident and see what happens.

My final point is even though she has the accolades from AAU and USA tournament ball, playing college is a different game and she'll adjust.

Pointers for evaluation of humans on the job or in sports --without exact, on this job experience--must use that which is available-- and with Danger USA and AAU and HS--was that which was available. If her performances there were less than stellar--no one would have recruited her. But those performances were almost beyond spectacular! Those performances --without serious injuries--are and were indicators of a highly talented kid who performed at the highest of levels then available to her. She shall, if not injured, perform at the highest College level--count on it.

Reaction Score
Jefferson's advice to Dangerfield?

"She told me that I don't need to go in there and be like her, that I need to go in there and be like Crystal Dangerfield," Dangerfield said.

Dangerfield, Bent Take Different Paths To Storrs, But Both Expect To Add To UConn's Legacy

I think she has to be herself and not compare to Mo. Unfortunately, the honeymoon period with Geno is over.

Auriemma said. "I've not been patient … I was in the beginning, but I'm not a very patient guy. Because if you're really patient, people take forever. So I don't want to be patient. I want them to hurry up and get good. And she's just not in a hurry. And it really pisses me off that she's not in a hurry. There's no sense of urgency."

Geno want consistent high effort, smart plays, low turnovers and no fouls. By the way, don't miss those lay ups. That's all being asked of the frosh. I know she'll get there - I hope sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
Its difficult to compare Slocum and Crystal Dangerfield just yet. Slocum has been handed the keys to PG position and averages 30 min per game and practices with the first team everyday.That experience has to do wonders for your confidence and comfort level particularly with her supporting cast. Crystal Dangerfield had an injury and usually plays with a lineup that varies every few minutes. It will just take a bit longer for her comfort level to settle in, particularly to get to a point where she is not thinking too much and playing instinctively.
Having watched Slocum play a couple times and knowing what Crystal Dangerfield can do with the ball including pinpoint passing, I'd rather have CD on the team as , IMO, she has more upside than Slocum.

Reaction Score
I am kind of thinking it is in her head, she played great against Baylor and pretty good against South Carolina so why has she struggled against teams that may not be as good? Geno has seen her all season and that is why he has said that she doesn't all ways like to work up a sweat. It is end of the season she is no longer a freshmen, time for Crystal to shine and I am hoping it starts tonight.
Baylor and uS Carolina played BASKETBALL --not helter skelter, frenetic multiple arms waving defense--that got to the entire Uconn team, not just Danger--also freshmen tend to feed off of the STARS--who didn't perform up to snuff in that game--some entire teams fail when the star can't carry her part of the load. So the "pressure" got to the entire team and as the least experienced kid on the floor--it bit her (Danger) during free throw. I don't knock any one on the UConn team for the Tulane game--they were hit with the unexpected--great Tulane game plan and it took everyone out of sync.
That was the learning game--you bet your bippy---Geno will be LEARNING this team..

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I know a big part of the fun being on these boards is speculating every aspect of how our women are playing, but for my money, I think we really over analyze at times.

I didn't see the Tulane game so I am not privy to what facial expression Crystal wore. Nor am I privy to any of the team's practices to have a sense of what level effort she gives and how it matches up to the coaches' standards - and I don't take what Geno says without a really huge grain of salt.

IMO, we have no clue what impacts a player's performance on any given night. Regarding a situation like Crystal missing free throws: It could be hitting a freshman wall. Or it could be she just heard terrible news from home, or bombed a test that morning, or had a really bad headache. Or maybe she just missed the shots. Happens now and then.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
No she may gain Geno's trust on Senior Nite of her Senior year. Maya --hard headed?? That nice-est-sweet-est, hard playing kid?? Never! DT--Sveta--Tina--you bet.

I think a distinction needs to be made with respect to Maya and the others in this group when it comes to "hard-headedness" vs. "effort, drive, discipline, focus" or however you want to phrase it.

Maya was hard-headed. Still is to some extent, I'm sure; most of the great ones are. She famously decamped to Geno's office after the FF loss to Stanford her freshman year, where she announced an epiphany she'd had, that she "could not win the game all by herself." Which Geno had been trying to tell her. The others listed (DT, Stewie, Sveta, possibly Tina) also were hard-headed in their own way.

However,

When it comes to the issue of Crystal needing to ramp up the intensity, and give 100% on a consistent basis--at the UCONN WBB level that Geno expects--this is very much par for the course for players in their freshman year. Almost everyone that has stepped through the door has had their eyes opened to what it really means to sacrifice, perform and give the real 100% all the time, consistently. Particularly for many of the uber-talented, since they have been able to do so much at a lower level of intensity than Geno demands at the college level. It's a shock to the system. Geno & Co. push them to reveal what their true 100% really is. This is a process.

But this is where Maya set herself apart. To my knowledge, she came already equipped in this respect. (Possibly Kelly Faris as well.) She always always always gave her true 100%, for every minute, in every drill, in every moment, in every play, in every situation, from day 1. Not day 50, or day 100, or day 200, but day 1. I'm not saying that Maya didn't grow, didn't develop and didn't need coaching just as anyone else ever has. But her drive was singular, and it never wavered. Further, it pushed others to greater heights.

Edit: OK - I have to qualify what I just said ... :) there was one (and only one) time that I saw Maya's energy and effort at less than 100%. It was late in the streak-busting loss to Stanford. I remember distinctly a few moments where she was no longer hustling and busting her ass the way she normally did. It might not have been noticeable with mere mortals but with her, it definitely was. She showed she was human! The rest of the time at UCONN, she was in Geno's words, "like a Corporation."

Reaction Score
Its difficult to compare Slocum and Crystal Dangerfield just yet. Slocum has been handed the keys to PG position and averages 30 min per game and practices with the first team everyday.That experience has to do wonders for your confidence and comfort level particularly with her supporting cast. Crystal Dangerfield had an injury and usually plays with a lineup that varies every few minutes. It will just take a bit longer for her comfort level to settle in, particularly to get to a point where she is not thinking too much and playing instinctively.
Having watched Slocum play a couple times and knowing what Crystal Dangerfield can do with the ball including pinpoint passing, I'd rather have CD on the team as , IMO, she has more upside than Slocum.
Different coaches different modes of operation---MD say to they Frosh--GO. Geno say---slow it down, learn Defense, and if you practice hard you play---I don't believe MD has the same view. The Slocum kid scores and dishes--did so before she arrive at MD--MD's coach expects her team to cover the mistakes of the Frosh--Geno doesn't like mistakes. Different approach.
An interesting question, without an answer: How would Crystal Dangefield perform at MD???

Reaction Score
Like a lot of posters, being a very long time husky fan , I tend to be a lot tougher criticizing men's basketball than women's. Why? [mod edit: removed knock on the board #1] When I watch our ladies play, I try and separate what my eyes see from " my attachment " to this team. I think it is high time Dangerfield begins to start playing to a " higher " standard ! She came into the program as the highest rated point guard, with a long list of USA basketball and hs credentials. We see a few flashes of " brilliance ", and suddenly everyone go OOH , AAH ! THEN I watch Destiny Slocum ! Enough said. Danger was put in a highly pressurized , end of game situation against tulane, really for the first time. Totally different situation than against Baylor. The look on Danger's face at the line against Tulane, was that of an Fear/AWAKENING . The next couple of weeks will be make or break her as far as this season goes , and how she is utilized during the tournament !
I think we were all shocked when we saw Crystal fail at crunch time against Tulane. She could have put the game away several times, and could not do so. She did not use her basketball IQ, when she could have dribbled away from that defender and run out the clock. She then clanked two more free throws. Instead of solidifying her confidence, she had to go to sleep for the last four days thinking about her failure at the foul line. It is most fortunate for her that Tulane could not finish the game with a win. For those of us who are asked to remember Moriah's freshman year, I seem to recall a pretty polished player by this point. Though I am willing to admit I could be wrong. In any case, we all want Crystal to blossom into the star that she can become. And UCONN needs that, because our bench strength is, otherwise, scary thin.

Reaction Score
I think a distinction needs to be made with respect to Maya and the others in this group when it comes to "hard-headedness" vs. "effort, drive, discipline, focus" or however you want to phrase it.

Maya was hard-headed. Still is to some extent, I'm sure; most of the great ones are. She famously decamped to Geno's office after the FF loss to Stanford her freshman year, where she announced an epiphany she'd had, that she "could not win the game all by herself." Which Geno had been trying to tell her. The others listed (DT, Stewie, Sveta, possibly Tina) also were hard-headed in their own way.

However,

When it comes to the issue of Crystal needing to ramp up the intensity, and give 100% on a consistent basis--at the UCONN WBB level that Geno expects--this is very much par for the course for players in their freshman year. Almost everyone that has stepped through the door has had their eyes opened to what it really means to sacrifice, perform and give the real 100% all the time, consistently. Particularly for many of the uber-talented, since they have been able to do so much at a lower level of intensity than Geno demands at the college level. It's a shock to the system. Geno & Co. push them to reveal what their true 100% really is. This is a process.

But this is where Maya set herself apart. To my knowledge, she came already equipped in this respect. (Possibly Kelly Faris as well.) She always always always gave her true 100%, for every minute, in every drill, in every moment, in every play, in every situation, from day 1. Not day 50, or day 100, or day 200, but day 1. I'm not saying that Maya didn't grow, didn't develop and didn't need coaching just as anyone else ever has. But her drive was singular, and it never wavered. Further, it pushed others to greater heights.

Edit: OK - I have to qualify what I just said ... :) there was one (and only one) time that I saw Maya's energy and effort at less than 100%. It was late in the streak-busting loss to Stanford. I remember distinctly a few moments where she was no longer hustling and busting her ass the way she normally did. It might not have been noticeable with mere mortals but with her, it definitely was. She showed she was human! The rest of the time at UCONN, she was in Geno's words, "like a Corporation."

I watch a whole different Maya and while Geno spoke of Maya's not doing anything except shooting 3's --which she did after her frosh year. She never had open disagreements with Geno--Sveta did constantly in the media. Dt was someone who told the coach , as a frosh , what he should do.
Then Stanford game was a Wiggins game--experienced as a Senior against a Frosh. Stanford like ND and most good coaches went after the Frosh--melt down, if by any one blame the coach.
I'd love to have read the media that said --Maya disagrees with the coach (hard headed)--Maya won't do as Geno says--(she'd sit) , Maya won't hustle (she'd sit).
Maya --like the end of the DT era was a bit of the only member of the team--and still a very nice young lady.

Reaction Score
Guys it's not like we lost to Tulane. Hopefully she forgot all of those missed FTAs.

Reaction Score
That may be true, but she played like an AA against Connecticut and if she'd gotten any help from SWK or anyone else(Kaila Charles was in foul trouble) that game may have ended differently. The tOSU game is an unfair comparison, because she spent the evening guarding Kelsey Mitchell not an easy task for any single player, not named Moriah Jefferson....
SWK had 29 points... they needed their bench to step up but it didn't and tOSU bench outscored theirs 27-7.

Reaction Score
magic, I think you're spinning your wheels, because trying to "read" Geno on any specific point (as opposed to, say, reading him over time) is nearly impossible. It's extremely tough for me to know what I'm thinking at a given moment, let along for me to know what someone else is thinking, let alone to know what a master psychologist and BS artist like Geno is thinking at any given moment. The best we can do is pull back, appreciate his unbelievable success and how over time he both respects and treats players. I think that's what oldude is reflecting.
Of course I appreciate Geno, the coaching staff, and the whole program. I would not have evev been upset if they had lost to Tulane given the way huskies shot the ball. Any team can have a horrible shooting night. I just find it hard to believe that Geno is not looking for a way to either motivate or inspire self motivation to improve her consistency and play.

Reaction Score
I think we were all shocked when we saw Crystal fail at crunch time against Tulane. She could have put the game away several times, and could not do so. She did not use her basketball IQ, when she could have dribbled away from that defender and run out the clock. She then clanked two more free throws. Instead of solidifying her confidence, she had to go to sleep for the last four days thinking about her failure at the foul line. It is most fortunate for her that Tulane could not finish the game with a win. For those of us who are asked to remember Moriah's freshman year, I seem to recall a pretty polished player by this point. Though I am willing to admit I could be wrong. In any case, we all want Crystal to blossom into the star that she can become. And UCONN needs that, because our bench strength is, otherwise, scary thin.

Long time---come on, you as I were not Shocked to see Danger have issues under pressure at the end of the game---did you look at the performances of the rest of the team prior to that?/ They all were not living up to expectation--and looked often bewildered when all those easy layups and 3's failed to go in.

I wasn't shocked---I saw the look on her face--I did hope for better--but she was the target of the Tulane coach in crunch time--she knew Freshmen with limited playing time are the weakest links at crunch time--and so do you and I. No shock.

Reaction Score
SWK had 29 points... they needed their bench to step up but it didn't and tOSU bench outscored theirs 27-7.
SWK---even with 29 points didn't get enough touches last in the game and those shots taken by Slocum--probably would have been made by SWK... (my favorite MD player)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The idea that Danger could have dribbled away from the defender is a stretch. If you look at the play, Danger had her back to the defender and was leaping and falling backwards, towards the defender to steal the ball. She would almost have had to reverse her momentum in midair to miraculously avoid being fouled. While it would have been nice to see her make the foul shots, the play itself was tremendous.

As for Mo, go back and take a look at some of the games late in her freshman season, including the NCAA tournament. Sometimes she played well, but on other occasions she came in for a few minutes, turned the ball over a couple times, shot a couple bricks and earned a seat on the bench for the remainder of the game.

In the championship game vs Louisville, Mo played 14 minutes, mostly at mop-up time. She had 3 pts, 3 assists, 2 to's, 2 fouls, 0 steals & 0 rb's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom