Dangerfield | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Dangerfield

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I never said she couldn't handle ball. But,Moriah was an exceptionally good ball handler that rarely lost the ball driving into the lane, even as a freshman.
I know that memory fades as we get older, but I have made the point frequently that during her freshman year Mo was a very inconsistent basketball player, showing brilliance at times, but often plagued by tournovers and bad shooting.

I suggest everyone who believes Mo walked on water as a freshman, go back and watch a few games, particularly the national championship game, or simply go into the UConn archives and look at the game stats.

At this point in the season Danger has more assists than Mo had for her entire freshman season (70 to 69) with an A/TO ratio of 1.84 vs Mo's 1.41.

Mo was a great player by the time she left UConn, but her freshman numbers did not even match up with Danger's.

Reaction Score
I know that memory fades as we get older, but I have made the point frequently that during her freshman year Mo was a very inconsistent basketball player, showing brilliance at times, but often plagued by tournovers and bad shooting.

I suggest everyone who believes Mo walked on water as a freshman, go back and watch a few games, particularly the national championship game, or simply go into the UConn archives and look at the game stats.

At this point in the season Danger has more assists than Mo had for her entire freshman season (70 to 69) with an A/TO ratio of 1.84 vs Mo's 1.41.

Mo was a great player by the time she left UConn, but her freshman numbers did not even match up with Danger's.
I agree with all you said 100%. I was alluding to Moriah's dribbling skills and her ability to do so without it being stolen. Nowhere did I mention, assists, passing or shooting. I also recall Dolson's freshman season. The first thing I noticed was her soft hands. A huge gift for a big player to be born with.

Reaction Score
They are mirror images of each other. Well almost.
I got to the point where I only say FLA---they all sound the same--Forget the FSU uFS FCu UCF
---if Uconn just finished playing Central Fla ---I say FLA if posters don't know who I meant--they didn't see the game. FLA is the only word to use.

Reaction Score
Dangerfield in the Final FlA game of the season--is showing signs of being the REAL Crystal!!
She had 7 assist 12 points NO TURNovers!! The REAL DANGER has arrived, just in time.
While Kia was missed--with Danger working hard and producing--she wasn't missed as much.
Danger's defense was really good, not Kia's level yet, but a huge step up the ladder. Teams are learning you can't slack off of Danger--and that is important for UC's offense..

Reaction Score
I agree with all you said 100%. I was alluding to Moriah's dribbling skills and her ability to do so without it being stolen. Nowhere did I mention, assists, passing or shooting. I also recall Dolson's freshman season. The first thing I noticed was her soft hands. A huge gift for a big player to be born with.
As a Freshman, and I was cheering moriah and jeering Geno, Moriah had the ball stolen 2 times with in 4 minutes against Diggins--Geno pulled her quickly--that's why i jeered Geno--because Diggins and company stole the ball from 5th year Doty right after he pulled Moriah. Freshmen are freshmen--Moriah is one of the WORLDS best scoring and handling guards--Dangerfield is getting there --she still has 3 years to do it.

Reaction Score
Danger, known to opponents as "Dang," has shown that she is solid backup at pg. Both her offense and defence are steadily improving.

Reaction Score
These criticisms of Crystal Dangerfield suggest that some BYers have a very short memory. Remember that Moriah did substantially nothing her freshman year and was mostly inconsistent during her sophomore year. My recollection is that she was benched during the regional game with Kentucky for poor play. And then she became a junior and then a senior - and all was sweetness and light. Moriah became either the best or second best point guard in Uconn history. So, lighten up on Crystal Dangerfield. By the time she is a junior, she will be the best point guard in the country and she will average double figures in points and assists.

Reaction Score
So, wasn't Danger's performance against FSU one of the best performances by a UConn pg this year? 12 pts 9 asts 0 TO's. Go Danger!
May have been one of the best pg performances by a freshman ever at UCONN. Not taking anything away from her Baylor game but from a pure ball movement standpoint, 9 assists with 0 turnovers is rare. In fact, in looking at UCONN record book no freshman pg has ever had 10 assist so she is at least tied for the freshman record.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Kia's injury is paying dividends. Danger is getting substantial minutes and smoothing out her ups and downs. Leaving mostly "ups."

Minutes, minutes, minutes, baby. I hope she keeps getting them. Danger is like a sponge at this point.

Actually , I wouldn't have minded seeing 9 & 2 or 9 & 3 last night rather than 9 & 0, as long as the T/O's were on attempted entry passes or passes on the break. It's OK (despite Geno's sideline grimaces) when she makes a mistake that way. She has to learn how much she can do, and how/when the passes should be made. It's a process. If she were a JR/SR then I'd think differently and would put a greater premium on the 0 T/O's.

Having said that, 0 T/O's is very impressive.

Reaction Score
Its difficult to compare Slocum and Crystal Dangerfield just yet. Slocum has been handed the keys to PG position and averages 30 min per game and practices with the first team everyday.That experience has to do wonders for your confidence and comfort level particularly with her supporting cast. Crystal Dangerfield had an injury and usually plays with a lineup that varies every few minutes. It will just take a bit longer for her comfort level to settle in, particularly to get to a point where she is not thinking too much and playing instinctively.
Having watched Slocum play a couple times and knowing what Crystal Dangerfield can do with the ball including pinpoint passing, I'd rather have CD on the team as , IMO, she has more upside than Slocum.

Hey rugbymate - Agree completely. Your second sentence points out the critical difference. Slocum was handed the keys and Brenda F. was happy someone could run the point at a nice level. Slocum can dribble around as long as she wants, drive when she wants, shoot 25 footers when she wants, and play defense when she wants. Luckily for Maryland, Slocum is a quality PG. IMHO Slocum got relaxed and comfortable very quickly because she could play the same type of game from her AAU days. She played loose with very little oversight and definitely not confined to a TIGHT TEAM SYSTEM. Her BBIQ held her in good stead.
Danger always had an eye on the coaches and heard it 3 fold when she went out of the system. Combining her natural instincts with the system is difficult as we all know. It can take years, as we all know. Rugbymate is dead-on about the practice time with the starters and the concussion, etc. There was no natural flow for long periods of time during this season--especially practice.
There is not doubt in my mind that Danger could take charge of a game (in her way) and carry the team to a win. Baylor and SC are examples. Just enough team system with individual genius outside the system.
Final point off the topic slightly--IMHO, the reason UConn has won 100 plus in a row (with NO letdown) is that UCONN has 6 players who could carry the team to victory with an outstanding individual effort. Nurse scored 30 on Stewie, Chong has scoring in her blood, Danger did it with Baylor and the other 3 do it every other night. No way all six would be out to lunch at the same time!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I loved Crystal's game last night. She was dishing out assists all night long, taking care of the ball, pushing the pace, making threes, and being a pest on defense. But my favorite play came at the end of the third quarter, when she brought the ball upcourt with 5 seconds remaining and nailed a jumper from the corner. It was vintage Moriah Jefferson against Mississippi State and Oregon State last year.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I was at the game last night and Crystal was in control. Outside of a couple of defensive lapses, she was dynamite!

She had good shot selection, kept the offense moving, freed Saniya up to shoot more and delivered the pass when it needed to be there and in the right spot.

9 assist and 0 turnovers plus 12 points. I'll take that for any game from here on out.

Reaction Score
images.jpg

Bad Netflix show but good point guard

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak