Dangerfield | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dangerfield

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
SWK had 29 points... they needed their bench to step up but it didn't and tOSU bench outscored theirs 27-7.
SWK didn't score 27 against Connecticut, which is the game I was referring to in the original comment.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
And Dangerfield played like an AA against Baylor. Sooo.???
The comment was about how Slocum played in the tOSU as opposed to how she played in the Connecticut game, hence my response. The knee-jerk defensive response of this fanbase is hilarious. Both are freshmen and have experienced highs and lows, it happens with most of them.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Crystal is a freshman.
Crystal plays the most important position for UConn - point guard.
Crystal plays for the most demanding coach for point guards - Geno. Ask Sue, Jenn, Renee, Caroline, Moriah and others.

Reaction Score
One thing not mentioned about Moriah, even as a Freshman: she was a heck of a defensive player. Dangerfield is not at this time. She was beaten in many different ways in the Tulane and other games. Moriah made things happen on the defensive end right from the beginning. By the 2nd half of the year I was already a big Moriah fan and felt she should have gotten more playing time in front of Caroline Doty, who was playing on one leg by that time and largely inefective. In her freshman year Moriah played 17 min/game and had 52 steals. Crystal has 18 steals this year in 23 min/game. The late steal the other night was the result of great defense against inbounding the ball where Tulane wanted to pass it.

Reaction Score
Collier was a failure as a starter last year, but is doing OK this year. Gabby hasn't played in a single losing game at UConn, because the last loss she was so bad as a freshman that Geno didn't trust her on the floor for a single minute. Playing at UConn is tough as a freshman. Stewart, one of the best players ever to play in college wasn't the best freshman during her first year. And DT had an absolute zero of a game at the FF her freshman year, but turned out OK. Maya I believe is the only UConn player in over a decade to be deemed the best freshman in the country.
Crystal Dangerfield is going to be fine. Whether she 'arrives' at fine this year is still up in the air. And she has had a tougher freshman year from an injury standpoint than most players coming through UConn. Hard to be stop and start through the first three months when you're still trying to figure it out.
Just curious UCM, how many games did Collier start last year? I don't recall many.

Reaction Score
This points to a really, really interesting phenomenon. UConn recruits extremely highly ranked high school players who, in their early UConn careers, often seem to underperform other highly recruited players at other colleges. Perhaps UConn's recruits just aren't as good? Well, no, because by the time they graduate they're All-Americans.

It may be therefore that there's method in Geno's madness. That he's investing a year or more in breaking down his players and rebuilding them into champions. Sure, they're also under more stress (and miss foul shots) because they're not playing in their comfort zone--which in high school was to be the star. But eventually virtually all of them seem to make the transition to being cogs in a well-oiled machine and, as well, All-Americans in their own right.

Patience!
Lou's performance and development is a good example of what you describe.

Reaction Score
Was Crystal emerging from a dream against Baylor? How could a freshman play any better than Dangerfield that night? As for breaking a recruit before the rebuilding can start, I don't know about that psychology. She has the skills and seemed to be brilliant when she wasn't thinking about anything but delivering the goods. And she delivered, bank shots, perimeter bombs, great passes, a step ahead of the defense.
whatever her time table, Danger will get there and I agree, tonight would be okay.
The REAL Danger showed up for the Baylor game---then the REAL Danger had Concussion and foot issues--plus limited PT---if the concussion didn't do current damage--the more than REAL Danger shall arrive again.

Reaction Score
For those of you ( and it's seems very few) who watched the Geno show, we know Geno laid out pretty clearly what Dangerfield's "problem" is. Her maturity is not up to the same level as her talent (which is pretty damn high according to Geno). He said she need to grow up. When her maturity does catch up to her talent, then you're gonna see something. She's gonna be as Geno would say, really, really good.
i'm glad Geno isn't working with me---since I never had a truly dependable definition for MATURITY--I just got old. That elusive Maturity never did catch up.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Just curious UCM, how many games did Collier start last year? I don't recall many.
I believe no more than five or six. There was a write up here in the St. Louis Post Dispatch about her starting. About three days later, she was out of the starting lineup.

Reaction Score
Napheesa Collier:

Played in all 38 games for the Huskies and started in nine contests … Seventh on the team at 6.8 points per game and fourth on the squad at 5.2 rebounds per game in only 17.2 minutes per contest … Shot a solid 53.3 percent from the floor and a nearly-automatic 91.7 percent from the free throw line … Tied with Kia Nurse for the fourth-most steals on the squad with 50

UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: Napheesa Collier Bio :: University of Connecticut Huskies Official Athletic Site :: Women's Basketball

Reaction Score
You keep bringing this up. Yes, she is over the concussion. If she still had lingering effects from the concussion (headaches, unable to focus, blurred vision, etc.) she would not be cleared to play. That's what the concussion protocol is for. If you get through the concussion protocol, then yes you are over the concussion.

---the medical community can only work with what they have have the experience and knowledge to see within the the body today--some medical issues have no tests that show deep down brain damage. With the IED's and the Military pulling in experts --those test may be coming sooner than other wise.
I agree that the protocol, with the knowledge currently used, lists those things you have --you are not necessarily over the concussion--you are allowed to play . Way too many people I knew who who played soccer and football--and work related head injuries--have died of brain related issue.
The medical community wasn't aware of them until the final symptoms arrived. I don't take head bumps lightly.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Crystal is a freshman.
Crystal plays the most important position for UConn - point guard.
Crystal plays for the most demanding coach for point guards - Geno. Ask Sue, Jenn, Renee, Caroline, Moriah and others.

Yep, even the mighty Sue couldn't measure up to Geno's standards— if anything goes wrong on offense, he told her, you, as the point guard, are responsible— and she left at least practice in tears. Plus, UConn offense is not a strict pattern, like learning a dance step with diagrams on the floor. The point guard, more than anyone else has to read the defense, know her teamates habits and strengths and liabilities, guage the speed of cuts, etc etc. That takes time, lots of time, lots of experience, and a high level of basketball intelligence.

Easy enough for armchair coaches to measure players and find them wanting, and it's especially wearing when such coaches seem at times to be offended that a player doesn't measure up to their standard. I wish Geno could invite such sharp-edged souls to suit up for a single UConn practice. That would be an experience, no?

Reaction Score
SWK didn't score 27 against Connecticut, which is the game I was referring to in the original comment.
Okay sorry I got a little confused because you said Charles was in foul trouble in the Connecticut game but she wasn't. She was in foul trouble in the Oh St game.

Reaction Score
For those of you ( and it's seems very few) who watched the Geno show, we know Geno laid out pretty clearly what Dangerfield's "problem" is. Her maturity is not up to the same level as her talent (which is pretty damn high according to Geno). He said she need to grow up. When her maturity does catch up to her talent, then you're gonna see something. She's gonna be as Geno would say, really, really good.
I've been wondering who between Gabby, Kia or Napheesa would not start next year, my assumption being Azura, Lou and Crystal were locks. But this is the time of year Geno says, "You're no longer a freshman." Crystal clearly still is way down the freshman curve. Whether that's maturity, injuries, or some combination, it is what it is.

Recently Geno talked about Gabby acquiring more guard skills. And yesterday at the interview during practice he clearly called Lou a guard. I still think Azura is a lock to start next year. I'm thinking...

1- Kia
2- Lou
3- Gabby
4- Napheesa
4/5- Azura

Crystal is obviously hugely talented, but to me it's starting to look like it will be year-after-next before she runs the point.

Reaction Score
Napheesa Collier:

Played in all 38 games for the Huskies and started in nine contests … Seventh on the team at 6.8 points per game and fourth on the squad at 5.2 rebounds per game in only 17.2 minutes per contest … Shot a solid 53.3 percent from the floor and a nearly-automatic 91.7 percent from the free throw line … Tied with Kia Nurse for the fourth-most steals on the squad with 50

UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: Napheesa Collier Bio :: University of Connecticut Huskies Official Athletic Site :: Women's Basketball
For being the 5th option in those 9 games with those numbers, I don't think she played too badly.

Reaction Score
Regarding Slocum's OSU game, coming into the OSU game, Slocum was coming off an illness (flu?), thus the reason she looked so gassed during that game. Normally she is a ball of energy, non stop. You could also see how her passes were not as sharp as usual. She was held out of the game before OSU because of the illness and did not have a full practice until the day before the OSU game. While I'm not making excuses for her, I don't think you saw her at 100%.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Jefferson about the same as a freshman? I can't think of a tougher position in college sports than being a freshman point guard at UConn.

I would say a college freshman Quarterback...

Reaction Score
Oldude, do you really think Geno's attitude is."give her a break, she's a freshmam ? "

Why should I have to look at a game the way Geno does?

You mean when I was able to go to all the games when for example Tina Charles played and Geno would bench her because as he said he didn't like her body language, I should also have been just as disgusted and wanted her thrown onto the pine just like Geno?

Or when he used to say that Tina should be averaging a double-double at halftime. He pounded her to try to get those numbers but it was never realistic. So we as fans should feel just the way Geno does?

Bottomline is - this team has lost one game in nearly 4 years. So far this year they have surpassed expectations. The average margin of victory over the near 4 years has been over 30 points I believe.

If you want to start a thread ripping a freshman and your post filled with exclamation points - have at it. I just would like to offer a helping hand to you my friend, my fellow UCONN breathren and big time FAN (which is the abbreviation for us all- FANATIC);

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Really ? Just what pressure has Danger faced before the Tulane game ? Besides coming in and fitting in w/ 4 starters . And why isn't Slocum hitting that big freeshman wall ?
Maryland fan, huh?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Collier was a failure as a starter last year, but is doing OK this year. Gabby hasn't played in a single losing game at UConn, because the last loss she was so bad as a freshman that Geno didn't trust her on the floor for a single minute. Playing at UConn is tough as a freshman. Stewart, one of the best players ever to play in college wasn't the best freshman during her first year. And DT had an absolute zero of a game at the FF her freshman year, but turned out OK. Maya I believe is the only UConn player in over a decade to be deemed the best freshman in the country.
Crystal Dangerfield is going to be fine. Whether she 'arrives' at fine this year is still up in the air. And she has had a tougher freshman year from an injury standpoint than most players coming through UConn. Hard to be stop and start through the first three months when you're still trying to figure it out.

Collier seems to be doing "OK"?

Reaction Score
I think y'all are projecting. I see nothing in her facial expression that would indicate fear or apprehension. The fact is, sometimes the damn ball just won't go through the hoop. If that occurs in a pressurized situation, then a lot of people immediately assume that the player choked under the pressure. 'Taint necessarily so". Lou missed a bunch of easy (for her, normally) shots early on; did she choke under the pressure of playing a team that we had previously beaten by 40+?

I can't know for certain but only can make a guess - an opinion. My opinion is that she choked. Kids can choke- so it's not a big deal. Big deal if a kid chokes- so what. The pressure is enormous but imo she did choke. A layup is contested. Layups can be missed. FT's can be missed - and some can't hi them with much regularity. But Danger was lucky that even the one went in. And I can remember two others clunked - not even close either. She isn't a clunk ft shooter vs what she did vs Tulane.

You don't miss as many as you did and the ones you missed were mostly bricks for someone like her who was a touch unless imo you choke. So what she choked? That's okay. She is what 19yo? Even pros choke.

This thread is comical imo. All started by a fan who seems upset that the UCONN women don't lose enough or paly enough close games because he can't complain or read other posters complaining.

The only thing nearly all are missing in which the OP did so well is add all the exclamation points. How dare a frosh not play well before us superior fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope I made the OP proud by adding in that final sentence,

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Um, why not give her credit for stealing the inbound pass, which totally removed the biggest threat which is that Tulane would score on that last possession? Isn't that more important than not dribbling away from the defender to avoid being fouled, or missing free throws? And that was also a play made under considerable game pressure.

Reaction Score
I've been wondering who between Gabby, Kia or Napheesa would not start next year, my assumption being Azura, Lou and Crystal were locks. But this is the time of year Geno says, "You're no longer a freshman." Crystal clearly still is way down the freshman curve. Whether that's maturity, injuries, or some combination, it is what it is.

Recently Geno talked about Gabby acquiring more guard skills. And yesterday at the interview during practice he clearly called Lou a guard. I still think Azura is a lock to start next year. I'm thinking...

1- Kia
2- Lou
3- Gabby
4- Napheesa
4/5- Azura

Crystal is obviously hugely talented, but to me it's starting to look like it will be year-after-next before she runs the point.

Along with stealing plays from other coaches (which Geno admits ) he apparently stole a phrase from Bobby Knight: "In march there no longer are Freshmen' ,. A normally true statement for those freshmen who played significant minutes. That however does not apply to Dangerfield--her minutes have been limited.
Her performance against Temple was very good and shows signs of the REAL Dangerfield.

Next year you shall see starting five that changes depending upon the opponents--Geno will have that kind of mix and match team. Whether Danger does not start immediately next year, which I doubt, she shall before the season has ended. I see less of a role for Kia, not that she won't get minutes, she shall, but she'll rest more as will Gabby. The Frosh may not get big minutes but with the talent there--they will need to get minutes --you can't sit a bench of top talent without complaints.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom