Dangerfield "inside track" at starting job | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Dangerfield "inside track" at starting job

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As I stated earlier if Crystal Dangerfield starts the 1st 2 players off the bench will be 6'6" Azura and 6'2" Batouly!
Geno has always loved bringing a quick, athletic G off the bench to change the tempo of the game, Crystal Dangerfield fills that role!
It really doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference who starts as it's
more important as to who finishes!
I don't necessarily agree with your substitution pattern. Of course, fouls will affect it, but, in the absence of foul trouble, I think the second person off the bench could well be Megan or Mikayla. Batouly has more experience, but Meg, Mikayla, and even Kyla may be early subs.

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily agree with your substitution pattern. Of course, fouls will affect it, but, in the absence of foul trouble, I think the second person off the bench could well be Megan or Mikayla. Batouly has more experience, but Meg, Mikayla, and even Kyla may be early subs.
Walker has huge potential and I wouldn't be surprised to see her force herself into meaningful playing time fairly early in the season. But ever since her recruitment I've felt that Coombs is going to be the big surprise in this class. I just think she has "it".

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Walker has huge potential and I wouldn't be surprised to see her force herself into meaningful playing time fairly early in the season. But ever since her recruitment I've felt that Coombs is going to be the big surprise in this class. I just think she has "it".
I agree that Coombs will be a surprise. Meg has the highest profile, but Mikayla does have "it." In the Jordan Brand game, she was smooth and played within herself. It was a bit of a ragged game--as All-Star games tend to be--but Mikayla played team ball, smoothly hit some 3-pointers, hustled, and defended. I think these 2 will separate themselves from the other frosh, so Andi and Lexi will need to work hard to keep up.

Reaction Score

MilfordHusky- - -I can see your choices of substitutes, Megan, Mikayla, etc. becoming a choice for Geno as the season progresses but early on, in Nov., Dec., and a part of Jan. he'll go with his most experienced players as 1st off the bench! If the younger players aren't good enough to start they're NOT going to be the first off the bench IMHO! That is why , to me, Geno will want Crystal Dangerfield and Batouly coming off the bench as they'll bring experience and huge athletic skills to the lineup!

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Well stated. To take your analysis a little further, Lou will be matched up on offense with a player typically under 6’ tall who she could shoot over and post up at will.
And did you see the Gabby interview (separate thread)? It seems Gabby would welcome Z's presence because she (Gabby) wouldn't be required to guard post players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
MilfordHusky- - -I can see your choices of substitutes, Megan, Mikayla, etc. becoming a choice for Geno as the season progresses but early on, in Nov., Dec., and a part of Jan. he'll go with his most experienced players as 1st off the bench! If the younger players aren't good enough to start they're NOT going to be the first off the bench IMHO! That is why , to me, Geno will want Crystal Dangerfield and Batouly coming off the bench as they'll bring experience and huge athletic skills to the lineup!

I can see experience being a factor. Batouly has 1 year of major college ball and 1 year of UConn practice. That gives her an edge over the frosh and probably over Kyla. She also has a talent edge over Kyla, though not the same shooting range.

My concern is court balance. Putting in 2 frontcourt players doesn’t get any rest for Kia or Crystal. If you do take one of them out, who plays the other guard spot—Lou? My concern is that it makes the group on the floor a little frontcourt heavy.

I also haven’t heard Geno say much about Batouly. She’s behind Azura and Crystal. Is she clearly ahead of Kyla, Molly, and all the freshmen? Geno has talked about Megan and her potential.

I’m curious. If you put Azura in as the first sub, whom do you take out? Then when you put in Batouly, whom do you remove? Are you happy with the unit on the floor?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And did you see the Gabby interview (separate thread)? It seems Gabby would welcome Z's presence because she (Gabby) wouldn't be required to guard post players.
Gabby doesn’t want to guard the big centers, if it’s her choice.

Reaction Score
Some developments, because of their fundamental nature, inevitably evolve more slowly than we impatient fans would like. I sincerely hope, however, that a few months from now, after Crystal has firmly established herself as one of the two or three most elite point guards in the nation, that we all ruefully recall this thread...as in "what the hell were we thinking?" Z will get her minutes, and will be a genuine star, but Crystal's gonna drive this train!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't like Nurse's chances against a strong press. But then, how many of those do we see these days?
I don't think Nurse would have too much problem. But I agree, not ideal. However as you mention and I detailed earlier, who presses UCONN successfully anyway?? As someone noted, Syracuse was the last to try and UCONN ripped it to shreds. And as I said, with KLS and Stevens, we could pretty much just pass it right over the press. No need to dribble through it.

I'm sure we'll see Stevens AND Dangerfield on the floor together quite a bit. Although probably not at the beginning of each half.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree. Nurse is not a strong ballhandler but my concern is not so much against a press. Dangerfield is the only guard they have that can, off a defensive rebound, get the outlet and beat the defense down the floor creating those 2 on 1's and 3 on 1's like Jefferson did. With the speed of UConn's wings and bigs that's easy points in a hurry.
Nurse is one of the best "leakers" we've had.

Reaction Score
I can see experience being a factor. Batouly has 1 year of major college ball and 1 year of UConn practice. That gives her an edge over the frosh and probably over Kyla. She also has a talent edge over Kyla, though not the same shooting range.

My concern is court balance. Putting in 2 frontcourt players doesn’t get any rest for Kia or Crystal. If you do take one of them out, who plays the other guard spot—Lou? My concern is that it makes the group on the floor a little frontcourt heavy.

I also haven’t heard Geno say much about Batouly. She’s behind Azura and Crystal. Is she clearly ahead of Kyla, Molly, and all the freshmen? Geno has talked about Megan and her potential.

I’m curious. If you put Azura in as the first sub, whom do you take out? Then when you put in Batouly, whom do you remove? Are you happy with the unit on the floor?
I think many of us forecast based on last year's substitution patterns but as a long time UConn fan, Geno can put schemes in place to play big, small, and all in between. Suspect we will see some very interesting line ups this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom