Dangerfield "inside track" at starting job | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Dangerfield "inside track" at starting job

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I like putting Danger at the point, as she brings very good quicks, good handles and an "assist mentality." Her ability to lead the break would give opponents yet another kind of scoring to be concerned about. Who sits? Who cares.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
the best line up starts Z not Crystal. Z in the middle with her length let's Collier move to a more natural 4, gabby to the 3 and Lou to the 2 guard, and the starting point guard for the Canadian national team and a senior Kia at the point. that length will make Uconns defence amazing. they can run a full court press with Z in the front or back end the way Stewie did. Each player last year had to guard taller players now they won't have to. Remember as much as Crystal has grown as a player Z maybe the BEST player on the team. 6ft 6in players who shoot 3's and is very disruptive on defense are very rare. People have said she is a poor woman's Stewie and if you saw what she did at Duke I agree. I think Crystal and Megan coming in with their speed and athleticism when the opposing team's starters are getting a little tired would be the best scenario. I think Geno has the most depth since the 2000-01 team giving him incredible options.

An observation based on your post. I think some folks are not comfortable with the idea that Crystal's skills and abilities may not be needed at the beginning of a game as much as Stevens' will be.

If Dangerous does not start, she can be inserted at anytime, and admittedly, visa versa. The Boneyard is divided in half with respect as to which one starts. Once more, I remind everyone that Crystal DID NOT start the Baylor game last year. She came in with about 6 minutes left to go in the first quarter, and played the majority of the rest of the game, and had the game of her UConn career thus far.

Did it really make a difference that she did not start? No. The only thing most fans remember is how effective she was once she came in, how she jump started the offense, and how she took over the game. I remember Geno yelling out to her towards the end of the game: "Crystal, win the game for us ", and she did. THAT sound bite will forever be etched in my memory. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I like putting Danger at the point, as she brings very good quicks, good handles and an "assist mentality." Her ability to lead the break would give opponents yet another kind of scoring to be concerned about. Who sits? Who cares.

With the depth and choices he has this year, does Geno juggle his lineup according to the opponent (he normally doesn't), or go with a set five, and make substitution adjustments as the game progresses?

Reaction Score
Sorry JG, but I have to agree with asuwish on the breakdown of who plays where for the Huskies this season.

Classifying Lou as simply a “three point/offensive weapon” does her a great disservice.

Lou has a remarkably fluid handle for someone who’s 6’3”. When UCLA tried to press UConn late in their Sweet 16 game, Lou pretty easily broke the press by herself.

Lou is also an outstanding passer, who was one of several Huskies with over 100 assists last year.

Finally, Lou expanded her offensive game last year by putting the ball on the floor to take the ball to the basket or for pull up jump shots.

I agree she's a wonderful player.
Listen don't be sorry. I prefer her at the three and again my opinion means little cause my names not Geno.

No matter what I OR U say UCONN will most likely compete for a undefeated to 1 or 2 loss regular season no matter if danger of Z starts.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
With the depth and choices he has this year, does Geno juggle his lineup according to the opponent (he normally doesn't), or go with a set five, and make substitution adjustments as the game progresses?

Neither (?)...

The UConn way seems to be to give minutes to those players who measure up at practice, no?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The player who has to sit.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Neither (?)...

The UConn way seems to be to give minutes to those players who measure up at practice, no?

Yes. My "juggle" reference was with respect to Danger or AZ starting, not to other players.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Auriemma said he’s been impressed with how the freshmen — Megan Walker, Mikayla Coombs, Lexi Gordon and Andra Espinoza-Hunter — have elevated their effort since the summer. He continues to rave about sophomore point guard Crystal Dangerfield and he loves the possibilities presented by 6-foot-6 Azura Stevens, who offers a diverse offensive game and is a rim protector on defense.

Dangerfield, who had an inconsistent freshman season, has been a bright spot throughout the offseason and could seize a starting job. If Dangerfield replaces the graduated Saniya Chong in the lineup, the Huskies will deploy a similar lineup as last season — Dangerfield and Nurse as a tradition backcourt, with Samuelson, Collier and Williams up front.

Or UConn could start Stevens, with Samuelson playing off-guard. The presence of Stevens would allow Williams to take more mid-range shots and free her from guarding post players on defense.

“But you look at the way the dynamic changes when Azura is on the floor ... You look out there, man that’s a big lineup,” Auriemma said. “We have a 6-3 two-guard [Samuelson]. That’s a big lineup. And when Crystal is not on the floor, there’s a lot more responsibility on Kia because she’s not sharing the ball-handling responsibility. That mean’s Lou has to handle the ball a lot more. Everything is affected. Every change you make, you might lose something. So we have to figure it out.”

UConn Women Picked As Top Team In AAC, Collier Named Preseason Player Of The Year

uconn women top team aac - Google Search

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Auriemma said he’s been impressed with how the freshmen — Megan Walker, Mikayla Coombs, Lexi Gordon and Andra Espinoza-Hunter — have elevated their effort since the summer. He continues to rave about sophomore point guard Crystal Dangerfield and he loves the possibilities presented by 6-foot-6 Azura Stevens, who offers a diverse offensive game and is a rim protector on defense.
“But you look at the way the dynamic changes when Azura is on the floor ... You look out there, man that’s a big lineup,” Auriemma said. “We have a 6-3 two-guard [Samuelson]. That’s a big lineup. And when Crystal is not on the floor, there’s a lot more responsibility on Kia because she’s not sharing the ball-handling responsibility. That mean’s Lou has to handle the ball a lot more. Everything is affected. Every change you make, you might lose something. So we have to figure it out.”
So glad to see he's "impressed" so far with the freshmen. And he pretty much nails it with his comments about Crystal starting or not. When Crystal is not on the floor, there's a lot more responsibility on Kia because Crystal is no longer there to share the ball handling responsibilities.

Yes Gabby had a bunch of assists last year, yes Lou is more than capable of handling the ball, but would anyone really want either of them handling the ball more than necessary? Geno summed up in 1 sentence why I think it makes more sense to have Crystal start. Lou CAN be one of the primary ball handlers, but that's not even close to the highest and best use of her remarkable skills. Same goes for Gabby.

Geno has so many options to mix and match this season, but one thing that's not been discussed much, if at all, is that fact that he DOES like having 2 really good ball handlers on the court. Who are the guards who are considered really good ball handlers? I would say Crystal, Kia, Mikayla, and Andra (Molly is a guard too). I don't doubt that if Crystal starts, most likely Azura would be first off the bench BUT what if Geno takes out Crystal or Kia? Will he WANT Samuelson becoming the 2nd primary ball handler? If Lou handles the ball a lot more, you lose all the great things she can do off the ball (example - getting herself open to receive a pass and drain a 3). It's a different dynamic if Azura comes in for one of the guards.

I doubt this would happen, but if Geno really wants 2 ball handlers on the floor, depending on how Mikayla and Andra progress, might he not consider subbing Kia or Crystal with Mikayla or Andra (or Molly, if she has a meteoric rise in performance from last season)? It's not impossible to consider, depending on how both progress.

That would give Geno the flexibility to sub in Azura, Batouly, Megan, Lexi and Kyla for Lou, Gabby or Pheesa. What I'm talking about is more positional substitution, not just subbing in the next best player.

I still think that either Crystal or Azura starts with the other first off the bench no matter who he takes out. But just throwing out some other ideas - food for thought!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What’s fascinating to me is Geno is contemplating the same battle for the 5th starting spot that the BY has been obsessed with since the moment the national semifinal ended last season: Do you start the tallest player on the team or the shortest? And how does that effect every other player on the floor.

Almost all position battles are between similar players with similar skill sets. Last season it was Saniya and Danger for the starting pg spot. Two seasons ago it was between Gabby & Lou as the starting W, and while they had somewhat different skill sets, at least they were batting for the same position on the floor.

This season is truly unique in that the battle is between a C & pg for the starting spot. Whoever wins the battle will dictate where everyone else in the starting lineup plays, either moving them up one position bigger, or moving them down one position smaller.

Reaction Score

This is exactly what Geno thinks: he's an old-school European who believes in balance, harmony, cosmic justice, proportion etc. He wants to be the best ever but not to the extent that his accomplishments are incomprehensible. Because if they are completely out of the realm of attainable by others, they are bracketed and explained away and effectively become meaningless. I know there are UConn boosters who hoped for 200 straight wins; I don't think Geno was one of them.

• “But you look at the way the dynamic changes when Azura is on the floor ... That mean’s Lou has to handle the ball a lot more. . Every change you make, you might lose something. So we have to figure it out.”

Why only that? Why can't Gabby play 6th man sometimes? And, I think Lou is a lot better ball handler than folks give her credit for. I think she'd be adequate as the 2 guard except against a very small and fast pressing team.

Such problems....I'm sure every other coach in WCBB sympathizes with Geno.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
  • "The worst thing that could have happened is that Connecticut wins another championship in a down year."

Still don't understand this line of reasoning. The goal is to win regardless of what anyone else thinks. If UConn goes on to win the next two titles giving them 6 in 7 years is anyone going to pretend their dominance is passing because they lost in '17? And the Huskies really were not in a down year last season. The team's offensive and defensive efficiency ratings were right in line with teams like the 2013 national title squad.

Reaction Score
Still don't understand this line of reasoning. The goal is to win regardless of what anyone else thinks. If UConn goes on to win the next two titles giving them 6 in 7 years is anyone going to pretend their dominance is passing because they lost in '17? And the Huskies really were not in a down year last season. The team's offensive and defensive efficiency ratings were right in line with teams like the 2013 national title squad.
"down year" is Geno's term. The point is that it was supposed to be a down year, but vastly surprised to the upside. Geno's expression after the win in South Bend spoke volumes about exceeding expectations.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sorry JG, but I have to agree with asuwish on the breakdown of who plays where for the Huskies this season.

Classifying Lou as simply a “three point/offensive weapon” does her a great disservice.

Lou has a remarkably fluid handle for someone who’s 6’3”. When UCLA tried to press UConn late in their Sweet 16 game, Lou pretty easily broke the press by herself.

Lou is also an outstanding passer, who was one of several Huskies with over 100 assists last year.

Finally, Lou expanded her offensive game last year by putting the ball on the floor to take the ball to the basket or for pull up jump shots.
@JustinesGuy if you want to see KLS put all of this together just watch the replay of the Maryland game. It's all there, handles, midrange pull up, passing and finishing at the basket with either hand over MD players.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is exactly what Geno thinks: he's an old-school European who believes in balance, harmony, cosmic justice, proportion etc. He wants to be the best ever but not to the extent that his accomplishments are incomprehensible. Because if they are completely out of the realm of attainable by others, they are bracketed and explained away and effectively become meaningless. I know there are UConn boosters who hoped for 200 straight wins; I don't think Geno was one of them.

• “But you look at the way the dynamic changes when Azura is on the floor ... That mean’s Lou has to handle the ball a lot more. . Every change you make, you might lose something. So we have to figure it out.”

Why only that? Why can't Gabby play 6th man sometimes? And, I think Lou is a lot better ball handler than folks give her credit for. I think she'd be adequate as the 2 guard except against a very small and fast pressing team.

Such problems....I'm sure every other coach in WCBB sympathizes with Geno.....:rolleyes:
Not sure I’m buying Geno’s comment about the worst thing that could happen would be UConn winning another championship. It almost sounds like something Dan Shaughnessy would say. In his heart Geno wanted the championship last year, this year, next year and every year until he hangs it up.

Reaction Score
Just an observation in all this discussion that Megan Walker has hardly been mentioned.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
So glad to see he's "impressed" so far with the freshmen. And he pretty much nails it with his comments about Crystal starting or not. When Crystal is not on the floor, there's a lot more responsibility on Kia because Crystal is no longer there to share the ball handling responsibilities.

Yes Gabby had a bunch of assists last year, yes Lou is more than capable of handling the ball, but would anyone really want either of them handling the ball more than necessary? Geno summed up in 1 sentence why I think it makes more sense to have Crystal start. Lou CAN be one of the primary ball handlers, but that's not even close to the highest and best use of her remarkable skills. Same goes for Gabby.

Geno has so many options to mix and match this season, but one thing that's not been discussed much, if at all, is that fact that he DOES like having 2 really good ball handlers on the court. Who are the guards who are considered really good ball handlers? I would say Crystal, Kia, Mikayla, and Andra (Molly is a guard too). I don't doubt that if Crystal starts, most likely Azura would be first off the bench BUT what if Geno takes out Crystal or Kia? Will he WANT Samuelson becoming the 2nd primary ball handler? If Lou handles the ball a lot more, you lose all the great things she can do off the ball (example - getting herself open to receive a pass and drain a 3). It's a different dynamic if Azura comes in for one of the guards.

I doubt this would happen, but if Geno really wants 2 ball handlers on the floor, depending on how Mikayla and Andra progress, might he not consider subbing Kia or Crystal with Mikayla or Andra (or Molly, if she has a meteoric rise in performance from last season)? It's not impossible to consider, depending on how both progress.

That would give Geno the flexibility to sub in Azura, Batouly, Megan, Lexi and Kyla for Lou, Gabby or Pheesa. What I'm talking about is more positional substitution, not just subbing in the next best player.

I still think that either Crystal or Azura starts with the other first off the bench no matter who he takes out. But just throwing out some other ideas - food for thought!

From what I've seen, "handling" the ball in the UConn system means passing it, not dribbling it.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Amen brother Eric, you're preaching to the choir.

Reaction Score
@JustinesGuy if you want to see KLS put all of this together just watch the replay of the Maryland game. It's all there, handles, midrange pull up, passing and finishing at the basket with either hand over MD players.

Great game, rather have her starting at the three. Let's see what Geno does.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Yeah, but Crystal is the best dribbler and the best passer.

The argument for CD starting seems mainly to be tactical. But getting the ball past midcourt or breaking a press has not been a problem and UConn always ranks among the best teams in terms of assists to baskets so dribbling and passing the ball doesn't seem to be much of a need for the Huskies.

Both CD and Z have one year in the UConn system but Z is a junior and has played two years of college basketball while CD is a sophomore who has played just one. Z is the better shooter, the more efficient scorer, the better rebounder, the better defender and is 13 inches taller.

This is an interesting debate but, ultimately not a meaningful one in that, as many here have stated, both CD and Z likely will see significant playing time. Hopefully, each will be impactful in UConn's run for a 12th National Championship.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Regarding the proposed question: "would anyone really want either of them (Gabby or KLS) handling the ball more than necessary?"

Yes. It would seem like Geno also thinks he has more than adequate "ball handling" from all 4 returning starters.

In their first tournament game, a rout against 16-seed Albany, the Huskies managed an equally impressive 34 assists of 43 baskets, giving them a program-record 64 assists for a two-game stretch. Even for a program as storied as UConn, that passing prowess is stunning.

"Our ball movement was incredible," Auriemma added. "All five players feel really comfortable with the ball. When you have five players who can all make plays you can have a performance like we had today. They were good. They were really good."
UConn is dominating women's basketball by realizing it takes more than just talented players

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom