Dangerfield "inside track" at starting job | The Boneyard

Dangerfield "inside track" at starting job

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The conventional wisdom seems to be wrong at this point.

UConn must replace starting guard Saniya Chong, who graduated and moved on to the WNBA's Dallas Wings. Auriemma has options but a source within the program said that Dangerfield -- who is the first to tell you that she had an up-and-down season as a freshman -- has the inside track on that final starting spot as practice begins.

Huskies set to hit practice floor running

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Great news.

The point guard from Murfreesboro, Tennessee, earned rave reviews for her play this summer with USA Basketball and with the Huskies. Her effort has remained strong in the fall and the source said she's the most improved player on the club.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The conventional wisdom seems to be wrong at this point.

UConn must replace starting guard Saniya Chong, who graduated and moved on to the WNBA's Dallas Wings. Auriemma has options but a source within the program said that Dangerfield -- who is the first to tell you that she had an up-and-down season as a freshman -- has the inside track on that final starting spot as practice begins.

Huskies set to hit practice floor running

Second half of the paragraph is equally interesting :D

The point guard from Murfreesboro, Tennessee, earned rave reviews for her play this summer with USA Basketball and with the Huskies. Her effort has remained strong in the fall and the source said she's the most improved player on the club.

Oops. Beaten out by 2 seconds. :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Who in the hell is "A Source within the program?" Unless that source is identified as Geno Auriemma, I'm a little skeptical to say the least...

I assume Carl Ademac can identify a reasonably good source. Maybe it is a bit of gamesmanship to fire up Z or whatever but let the games begin.

Reaction Score
Well, it's indisputable that last year when Crystal was "on," the team played at a whole other level. Except for the fact that there is now Z, no one would question that an improved Crystal is the natural fit for the team. So, maybe it's Z that UConn has to account for, not Crystal. Maybe it's Z who comes off the bench or maybe Gabby does. Whatever. Geno has a deeper bench than he's historically comfortable with, but he now has the experience and lead time. Expect the unexpected.

Reaction Score
I am guessing that the practices are going to be more interesting than some of
the games we will be viewing. Everyone will be fighting for minutes and Geno
has the hook for anyone not giving their all. It should be very competitive at
practice time. I think we will see maximum effort from all. It's a nice problem
to have as a coach. Go Huskies!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And here I thought that was settled here during the summer. Guess we have another 1000 post thread ahead of us. :)
Actually we (the BY) screwed up. Last year we conducted a formal poll and made sure the results were delivered to Geno before practices began. This year we obviously did not take this as seriously as we should have. :eek:

Reaction Score
This reminds me of the 2016 Olympics, when Elena Della Donne or Sylvia Fowles would come off the bench to replace starter Brittney Griner. Later, players like Seimone Augustus and Angel McCoutry would sub in for Lindsay Whelan. Most times, the team actually got better as it got deeper into the bench. It was absolutely demoralizing for the opposing team. Of course, Geno managed the whole situation perfectly, with part of the brilliance being his selection of Griner to start in the first place. I can't tell you all how much I'm looking forward to the UConn Huskies version of this to play out starting next month!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Like I said 100 times, starting crystal gives the lineup the best balance.
Danger
Kia
Lou
Need to be the first 3.

Round it out with gabby, pheese or Z Pick two from that group.

Reaction Score
Time passes so fast and we are in October already.
Mark this date, Nov. 12, 2017.

UConn will open the 2017-18 season on Sunday, November 12 with a matchup against Stanford as part of the Countdown to Columbus event at Nationwide Arena, which is the site of the 2018 Final Four.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It is at a time such as this that I find comfort in Saint Augustine:

Try as they may to savor the taste of eternity, their thoughts still twist and turn upon the ebb and flow of things in past and future time. But if only their minds could be seized and held steady, they would be still for a while and, for that short moment, they would glimse the splendor of eternity, which is forever still.

DOG.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Time passes so fast and we are in October already.
Mark this date, Nov. 12, 2017.

UConn will open the 2017-18 season on Sunday, November 12 with a matchup against Stanford as part of the Countdown to Columbus event at Nationwide Arena, which is the site of the 2018 Final Four.

Feels slow to me. Come on season opener. Hurry up.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My money has been on Crystal all along, and it still is. Azura is versatile, and the first off the bench should be versatile.

When you come down to it, as we saw with Caroline Doty, starting and playing time don't necessarily correlate.

Reaction Score

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
And here I thought that was settled here during the summer. Guess we have another 1000 post thread ahead of us. :)

Noooooooo. It is settled!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Carl's source is most likely a coach or team staff. His sources are good. That does not mean that this is a done deal, however. It's only October 11.

I agree that Crystal starting gives the team balance, passing, and ball handling that is needed. If this comes to pass, Azura almost certainly will be the first player off the bench. She will average the same number of minutes as Crystal. Effectively, Geno has 6 players of starter quality and only 5 spots.

Reaction Score
Carl's source is most likely a coach or team staff. His sources are good. That does not mean that this is a done deal, however. It's only October 11.

I agree that Crystal starting gives the team balance, passing, and ball handling that is needed. If this comes to pass, Azura almost certainly will be the first player off the bench. She will average the same number of minutes as Crystal. Effectively, Geno has 6 players of starter quality and only 5 spots.

It's surprising as many fans wants a first year player to automatically start.
Yes I know her bio. But still.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom