Dangerfield "inside track" at starting job | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Dangerfield "inside track" at starting job

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
I see the "problem" with who handles the ball as a two part half court offensive strategy.

Part one is getting the ball up the court and part two is running the half court offense.

There's no reason that roles for part one can change once they're ready to take on part two.

KLS or Gabby or Kia can participate in getting the ball up the court and then switch to other roles: KLS on the wing, Kia patrolling the perimeter and Gabby down low waiting for the inside pass or popping out to get the ball inside to Pheesa.

This is a very talented and versatile group which Geno will direct like the conductor of a top symphony orchestra.

They'll make beautiful music together regardless of who plays first violin.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The argument for CD starting seems mainly to be tactical. But getting the ball past midcourt or breaking a press has not been a problem and UConn always ranks among the best teams in terms of assists to baskets so dribbling and passing the ball doesn't seem to be much of a need for the Huskies.
Agree. I've said before, there seems to be a few people on here who are very worried about a team pressing UCONN. When was the last time that worked?? I mean really, maybe Rutgers (back in the mid 00's)? Besides the easiest way to beat a press is to pass over/through it (as opposed to trying to dribble through it). What better to have 6-6 and 6-3 players out there to do that? Imagine a team pressing UCONN (have to imagine cause it doesn't really ever happen), KLS inbounds to Stevens (who comes back into the backcourt to receive it), who passes it to Nurse or Williams streaking up either sideline, you then have a 3v2 or 3v1 fast break. How long do you think that press is gonna last?

Dangerfield may start over Stevens, but it ain't gonna be because Geno is worried about a press.

Reaction Score
You have managed to cover an urban legend (UCONN almost lost to Maryland)-and a pet peeve (Chong basket desperately needed) in only two sentence.
The Maryland game started out 7 to 0 for UCONN and the lead grew to 19 (twice) early in the 3 quarter. At the end of the third quarter UCONN was up 15. Slocum to her credit hit 3 from the parking lot in the last 5 minutes of the game to stem a UCONN rout.
Saniya's basket within the last minute of the game stretched the lead from 6 to 9 points. So why is this a pet peeve? Because the lead had shrunk to as much as 5 points and UCONN had 3 other players who made multiple clutch baskets with UCONN holding a smaller lead than when Saniya hit her basket. Napheesa hit three baskets and KLS and Gabby hit two apiece.
The MD game should be remembered as the Game KLS grew up big time. KLS was ailing but spectacular and versatile. She hit the three ball, but that was always in her arsenal. She drove and finished contested shots at the basket with either hand. She hit the pull up heavily contested jumper. She rebounded, passed the ball like a daemon, guarded Slocum on the perimeter, drew a charge, and drew two fouls on MD (Jones & Slocum) in the last 5 mins.
I was at the Maryland game last year and to me, the game never seemed in doubt even with Maryland's run near the end of the game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was at the Maryland game last year and to me, the game never seemed in doubt even with Maryland's run near the end of the game.
I was there also and I agree. The MD freshmen (Slocum and Charles) played really well. For MD Confroy could not hit a shot to save her life and Fraser couldn't guard anyone.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Agree. I've said before, there seems to be a few people on here who are very worried about a team pressing UCONN. When was the last time that worked?? I mean really, maybe Rutgers (back in the mid 00's)? Besides the easiest way to beat a press is to pass over/through it (as opposed to trying to dribble through it). What better to have 6-6 and 6-3 players out there to do that? Imagine a team pressing UCONN (have to imagine cause it doesn't really ever happen), KLS inbounds to Stevens (who comes back into the backcourt to receive it), who passes it to Nurse or Williams streaking up either sideline, you then have a 3v2 or 3v1 fast break. How long do you think that press is gonna last?

Dangerfield may start over Stevens, but it ain't gonna be because Geno is worried about a press.[/QUOTE

See Syracuse 2016. Different UConn team, same result. Press not just broken, but attacked and laid to waste.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Regarding the question of whether or not one would want Gabby or Lou to handle the ball more than necessary - the point is completely missed if all you consider is that "yes they are competent to good ball handlers".

Charde Houston was the ONLY person who could break the press back many years ago, mainly because she was so strong and bulldozed her way up the court, but she's not the one you usually want with the ball in her hands. Stef Dolson had a triple double with assists - almost unheard of for a center, yet you don't want any of them being the primary ball handlers since they don't have all the requisite skills to be a PG. People love to say Parker can play all 5 positions, and to a degree she can, but she dribbles the ball high and is turnover prone when dribbling around with the ball.

You certainly can run the offense thru great passers, like with Dolson, Parker, or with Gabby last year at the top of the key, but why put them in that position (of being a guard/primary ball handler) if you have so many other options?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Regarding the question of whether or not one would want Gabby or Lou to handle the ball more than necessary - the point is completely missed if all you consider is that "yes they are competent to good ball handlers".

Charde Houston was the ONLY person who could break the press back many years ago, mainly because she was so strong and bulldozed her way up the court, but she's not the one you usually want with the ball in her hands. Stef Dolson had a triple double with assists - almost unheard of for a center, yet you don't want any of them being the primary ball handlers since they don't have all the requisite skills to be a PG. People love to say Parker can play all 5 positions, and to a degree she can, but she dribbles the ball high and is turnover prone when dribbling around with the ball.

You certainly can run the offense thru great passers, like with Dolson, Parker, or with Gabby last year at the top of the key, but why put them in that position (of being a guard/primary ball handler) if you have so many other options?
Decent argument, except, neither Williams nor KLS would be the primary ball handler, even if Stevens starts. Nurse would be. Nobody is asking Williams or KLS to play the point.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Decent argument, except, neither Williams nor KLS would be the primary ball handler, even if Stevens starts. Nurse would be. Nobody is asking Williams or KLS to play the point.
True, but when you only have 1 "guard" on the court (Nurse with no Danger, E-H or Coombs), then you need to shift someone else over to be the "other" ball handler. Geno referenced that in his comments about needing to reconfigure the offense if Kia or Crystal is not on the court (with no other "1-2 guard).

The point I was trying to make, maybe badly, was that while Gabby and Lou are both very good ball handlers, why ask them to be one of the "guards" when you have others who can do that, and when they are so good playing off the ball (Lou setting up for 3's, Gabby under the basket or at the top of the key).

Anyway, Geno may not care about that - he may feel the offense runs fine, or better, with Azura in for Crystal. He knows way better than I do, that's for sure! :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Some players are good ball handlers for their position, and some players are good ball handlers, period. As Eric notes, Charde could break the press. That was because the opposing power forward couldn't pick her up full court. The same was true last year with Gabby and Lou--the opponent's center and wing ,respectively, couldn't cover them full court. Candace Parker is a good ball handler for her size, but I've seen quick point guards steal the ball from her, partly because her dribble is high.

I agree with other posters that we can break a press by passing over it, especially with Lou and Azura. However, I feel more comfortable against a press with Crystal as the primary ball handler, rather than Kia. I also like Crystal in the half court. Her pick and rolls with Natalie were very effective last year, once she realized that she needed to pass the ball high.

I see that we have 6 starters and 5 slots. All 6 will play about the same number of minutes. Who starts doesn't make all that much difference.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
True, but when you only have 1 "guard" on the court (Nurse with no Danger, E-H or Coombs), then you need to shift someone else over to be the "other" ball handler. Geno referenced that in his comments about needing to reconfigure the offense if Kia or Crystal is not on the court (with no other "1-2 guard).

The point I was trying to make, maybe badly, was that while Gabby and Lou are both very good ball handlers, why ask them to be one of the "guards" when you have others who can do that, and when they are so good playing off the ball (Lou setting up for 3's, Gabby under the basket or at the top of the key).

Anyway, Geno may not care about that - he may feel the offense runs fine, or better, with Azura in for Crystal. He knows way better than I do, that's for sure! :)
I think Stevens pushes more people towards their natural position than Dangerfield does. Just my opinion though (without seeing any of the practices).
Natural positions in parenthesis

With Dangerfield
Dangerfield - 1 (1)
Nurse - 2 (2/1)
Samuelson - 3 (3/2)
Williams - 4 (3/4)
Collier - 5 (4)

With Stevens
Nurse - 1 (2/1)
Samuelson - 2 (3/2)
Williams - 3 (3/4)
Collier - 4 (4)
Stevens - 5 (5/4)

Either way is fine with me. If Dangerfield OR Stevens are making it impossible for Geno to keep them out of the starting line-up, that's a good thing. :D

All I really know is Bizarro is gonna owe me $100 when Collier starts. (and the other thing I know is, I'll never see a dime of it :rolleyes:)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
.... while Gabby and Lou are both very good ball handlers, why ask them to be one of the "guards" when you have others who can do that, and when they are so good playing off the ball (Lou setting up for 3's, Gabby under the basket or at the top of the key).
To me, this question has a very straightforward answer: You would do it so that you can get a talented 6-6 post player, who can score from all over the floor on offense and protect your rim on defense, into the game. Is it worth having a "second best" second ball handler to gain that advantage? In my book, it is no contest. Or, if you will forgive the pun, it is "crystal clear"!

I think Lou would become the 2-guard if Azura were to start. That would not cramp her style in getting 3-point opportunities: Caroline Doty and Mel Thomas come to mind as former UConn 2-guards who got plenty of 3-point looks. So did Bria Hartley, but teams were usually willing to let her take those shots (unfortunately).

Also, as I have said before, while Lou would probably become the 2-guard on offense, I think that on defense it would be different -- Lou would play closer to the basket and guard a forward on the opposing team, while Gabby would become a perimeter defender covering a fast guard who likes to take jump shots. Gabby is extremely gifted in that role, as her play against Ohio State's back court demonstrated. She even did quite a job on Morgan William despite the last second game winner.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
To me, this question has a very straightforward answer: You would do it so that you can get a talented 6-6 post player, who can score from all over the floor on offense and protect your rim on defense, into the game. Is it worth having a "second best" second ball handler to gain that advantage? In my book, it is no contest. Or, if you will forgive the pun, it is "crystal clear"!

I think Lou would become the 2-guard if Azura were to start. That would not cramp her style in getting 3-point opportunities: Caroline Doty and Mel Thomas come to mind as former UConn 2-guards who got plenty of 3-point looks. So did Bria Hartley, but teams were usually willing to let her take those shots (unfortunately).

Also, as I have said before, while Lou would probably become the 2-guard on offense, I think that on defense it would be different -- Lou would play closer to the basket and guard a forward on the opposing team, while Gabby would become a perimeter defender covering a fast guard who likes to take jump shots. Gabby is extremely gifted in that role, as her play against Ohio State's back court demonstrated. She even did quite a job on Morgan William despite the last second game winner.
Well stated. To take your analysis a little further, Lou will be matched up on offense with a player typically under 6’ tall who she could shoot over and post up at will.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Very true, so the next part of the problem would be who passes to her in the post. Williams obviously has shown she has those skills.

Either way, whoever starts of the 2 being debated, the other coaches are going to have huge problems in finding ways to slow you down.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Very true, so the next part of the problem would be who passes to her in the post. Williams obviously has shown she has those skills.

Either way, whoever starts of the 2 being debated, the other coaches are going to have huge problems in finding ways to slow you down.
Agreed. ANY 5 of the top 6 is a heckuva squad.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

I don't like Nurse's chances against a strong press. But then, how many of those do we see these days?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't like Nurse's chances against a strong press. But then, how many of those do we see these days?
I agree on both points. Odyssey Sims and Skylar Diggins are no longer in college.

Reaction Score
I agree. Nurse is not a strong ballhandler but my concern is not so much against a press. Dangerfield is the only guard they have that can, off a defensive rebound, get the outlet and beat the defense down the floor creating those 2 on 1's and 3 on 1's like Jefferson did. With the speed of UConn's wings and bigs that's easy points in a hurry.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Dangerfield is the only guard they have that can, off a defensive rebound, get the outlet and beat the defense down the floor creating those 2 on 1's and 3 on 1's like Jefferson did. With the speed of UConn's wings and bigs that's easy points in a hurry.

Certainly something the coaching staff is considering in their deliberation. In the end, I would bet on Crystal Dangerfield getting the spot if she really looks good between now and 11/12.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Certainly something the coaching staff is considering in their deliberation. In the end, I would bet on Crystal Dangerfield getting the spot if she really looks good between now and 11/12.
Let's not forget that Crystal suffered a concussion. I think it affected her for a number of games after she returned. I still remember Geno at the Baylor game: "Crystal, go win this game for us." And she did!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For all her ups and downs that Baylor game is a reminder of the great player Dangerfield has within her.
And Geno has seen it for a few years. Her freshman year was comparable to Moriah's and maybe slightly better on the offensive end. Mo wound up as one of the best college PGs ever.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just a thought.......................with all of the going back and forth about who should start between Dangerous and AZ, we forget that a great deal of the time, BOTH of them will be on the floor at the same time. After the first 5-6 minutes of the game, and Geno can see which way the wind is blowing, he will make the necessary adjustments that will reflect the "hustle and flow" his wants the unit to exhibit. Bottom line.....who does or does not start really doesn't make that much difference.

I think they will BOTH be on the floor at the same time during any given game, bringing their particular skill set and presence to the court. Geno has the two exhibition games to see how effective different personnel combinations work. No doubt they'll be ready for Stanford on November 12 in Columbus, and start a fresh new winning streak to begin the season. I can't wait to see Dangerous' first (of many) no look pass to AZ for an easy uncontested layup. With the weapons she's going to have around her, Crystal should lead D1 WCBB in assists this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
As I stated earlier if Crystal Dangerfield starts the 1st 2 players off the bench will be 6'6" Azura and 6'2" Batouly!
Geno has always loved bringing a quick, athletic G off the bench to change the tempo of the game, Crystal Dangerfield fills that role!
It really doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference who starts as it's
more important as to who finishes!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom