OT: - Coronavirus Good News maybe | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Coronavirus Good News maybe

Reaction Score
I’ll add in that I have a suspected allergy to penicillin. I had an antibiotic cocktail including that and Ceclor when I was an infant and had a bad hives/swelling reaction so it was always avoided when I was a kid. Clinic had me wait around for 30 as opposed to 15 minutes after the shot. Again, no real adverse reaction related to that.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Got moderna first week of January. Second dose is 4 weeks later as opposed to 3 with Pfizer; I’m due Feb 6. I deferred the first round of vaccines for all of us in direct (COVID) patient contact and all my coworkers who accepted got Pfizer. Most felt crummy for at least 12 hours, and the second shot was often worse. Mine felt like a normal shot: sore at the site for a day but otherwise nothing. I don’t know nearly as many people who got Moderna.
I had Pfizer and the same symptoms you had with the first shot. With the second shot, I'm 3 days post and still have mild soreness at injection site but it's never been painful enough to even notice. For me, a mosquito bite is worse (no hyperbole) because the itch is annoying.

Reaction Score
For Moderna, trends show worse side-effects for younger people and/or people with stronger immune systems.

As an active 34 year old with no health issues, that trend matched up with me: quite a flu-like punch for about 36 hours with a fever around peaking at 100.4 (I’m normally in the 97.2 range).

It’s been 60 hours post-first dose for me now and feel pretty normal: was able to do my normal Sunday morning walking loop and work out after. Started feeling more like myself Saturday afternoon, about 48 hours after the shot: by lunchtime just kinda felt like a hangover. My second dose is on a Friday just in case I need the weekend to lay low.

Last I heard about vaccine for teachers in our district was 2 weeks ago with a "we'll let you know when it's coming up" ... Thanks guys!

Reaction Score
Last I heard about vaccine for teachers in our district was 2 weeks ago with a "we'll let you know when it's coming up" ... Thanks guys!
If any states intend for their teachers to work in-person, it’s ridiculous how delayed the vaccine has been in those states. Same goes for any profession where in-person work is a must.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
For Moderna, trends show worse side-effects for younger people and/or people with stronger immune systems.

As an active 34 year old with no health issues, that trend matched up with me: quite a flu-like punch for about 36 hours with a fever around peaking at 100.4 (I’m normally in the 97.2 range).

It’s been 60 hours post-first dose for me now and feel pretty normal: was able to do my normal Sunday morning walking loop and work out after. Started feeling more like myself Saturday afternoon, about 48 hours after the shot: by lunchtime just kinda felt like a hangover.

My second dose is on a Friday just in case I need the weekend to lay low. I recommend the same for people who get the Moderna shot and don’t work at home.
The frau got the second Moderna on Wednesday and has been laid low since, fever, head and body ache, overall bad bad bad. Others in the lab had the same reaction. I'm in line but not scheduled yet for #1, hoping that I get the J&J despite the "decreased" efficacy.

Reaction Score
yeah, sure. here, have a soooooo obvious reality, starting in late 2019, and specifically and directly pointed out here a bit less than a year ago. seems like the experts are finally catching up on this one.
Can COVID-19 Damage Your Teeth And Mouth? Here's What You Should Know. | HuffPost Life
but youse knew this, amiright?
'... and this dental piece is sort of the new area of the puzzle that people are starting to work on.'
starting? i guess this obvious trend since late 2019, for those actually living in the real world, replete with active and regular personal contacts with pantloads of folks, needs superdata analysis before the experts recognize it's truth. pathetic.
I think your red hat is on a little to tight.

Reaction Score
The frau got the second Moderna on Wednesday and has been laid low since, fever, head and body ache, overall bad bad bad. Others in the lab had the same reaction. I'm in line but not scheduled yet for #1, hoping that I get the J&J despite the "decreased" efficacy.
Sorry to hear of these adverse effects, but in the article below, quoting top infectious disease expert, Michael Osterholm, a single dose of Moderna's is 80% effective (he is not saying a person should not get a second one) and a single dose of Pfizer's is 52% effective.

What with the uncertain time frame of the initial vaccination, and with real unpredictability of the time frame for the second one, maybe if it works out that way, Moderna is the better initial one to get if circumstances work out that way.

I guess, and correct me if I am wrong, when you get a vaccine appointment, you get what they have and what they have is one or the other, and thus there are not more than one type available at the vaccine site?

I am over 65 and am hoping I can get the vaccine sooner than later in view of an anticipated surge from the variant.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It’s been 60 hours post-first dose for me now and feel pretty normal: was able to do my normal Sunday morning walking loop and work out after. Started feeling more like myself Saturday afternoon, about 48 hours after the shot: by lunchtime just kinda felt like a hangover.

My second dose is on a Friday just in case I need the weekend to lay low. I recommend the same for people who get the Moderna shot and don’t work at home.

That sounds unpleasant. Curious why an active 34 year old is even on the list? I’m 54 with one comorbidity and I will have a long wait.

My parents in early 80s got Moderna, 1st shot. No issues. Second one later this week for my dad.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
That sounds unpleasant. Curious why an active 34 year old is even on the list? I’m 54 with one comorbidity and I will have a long wait.

My parents in early 80s got Moderna, 1st shot. No issues. Second one later this week for my dad.
If you work in any capacity in a health care facility or system you likely have the option of being vaccinated. Frontline folks went first, now everyone else is up. I can't speak for him but there may be a few other similar scenarios.

Reaction Score

He's a teacher.

Reaction Score
Hope everyone does well with this especially those of you that need the vaccine. My parents plus aunt and uncle all got Covid in their mid 70s and they are good. Two of them didn’t even know they had it but for the test. Should they bother with the vaccine? I have only read anecdotal stories of people who have gotten Covid twice but not aware of any big studies. I’m opting out for now - I work from home, in good health and others need it more than me. Maybe down the road. Be well!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Covid is a real pain!!!! I got it from my wife who got it from a co-worker the week before Xmas. I'm still testing positive 25 days after first symptoms while my wife is negative and she had the bad migraines(still has them), coughing and breathing issues. While I had the mild symptoms(fatigue, dizziness, minor headache, chills, loss of taste and smell) and still have it. I can tell it is still around as I still have the weird smell(not strong anymore) in my nose even though my smelling is around 80% back now. Covid takes a lot out of you for sure, but I feel pretty good now even though I have gotten 3 more positives after my quarantine period. Kind of a pain even though technically I shouldn't be shedding anymore. I know this thing can remain in my body for 90 days. Ugh! I have returned to doing things like normal but still don't want to be around my 77 year old mother (who got covid in August and tested negative in 10-15 days like my wife) or get a haircut until I test negative.

There is almost no chance that you are still shedding and contagious. The bits of RNA detected by a PCR test can stay for months, especially at our very high CT. It is contagious for roughly 5 days from symptom onset.

Our study shows that despite evidence of prolonged SARS-CoV-2 RNA shedding in respiratory and stool samples, viable virus appears to be short-lived. Therefore, RNA detection cannot be used to infer infectiousness. High titres of SARS-CoV-2 are detected early in the disease course, with an early peak observed at the time of symptom onset to day 5 of illness; this finding probably explains the efficient spread of SARS-CoV-2 compared with SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV. This has important implications for SARS-CoV-2 transmission in the community and hospital setting, emphasising the importance of early case finding and prompt isolation as well as public education about the spectrum of illness. Our study shows that isolation practices should be commenced with the start of first symptoms, which can include mild and atypical symptoms, preceding typical symptoms of COVID-19 such as cough and fever. However, given the potential delays in isolation of patients, even the early detection and isolation strategy might not be fully effective in containing SARS-CoV-2.

SARS-CoV-2, SARS-CoV, and MERS-CoV viral load dynamics, duration of viral shedding, and infectiousness: a systematic review and meta-analysis - The Lancet Microbe

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Really wondering how Arkansas with their 14.8% positivity set their record for largest WBB crowd this week??

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Also the restaurant workers are an interesting bunch. For so long they were clamoring how safe it was to eat in restaurants and begging to work. Now many are saying how they are at terrible risk being around maskless people all day and should be at the top of vaccine lists. Hmmm

Reaction Score
Also the restaurant workers are an interesting bunch. For so long they were clamoring how safe it was to eat in restaurants and begging to work. Now many are saying how they are at terrible risk being around maskless people all day and should be at the top of vaccine lists. Hmmm
Probably because "the interesting bunch" likes to be able to meet their financial obligations and they don't have the luxury of "working from home".

Reaction Score
Really wondering how Arkansas with their 14.8% positivity set their record for largest WBB crowd this week??

Maybe it's because their death per million cases is lower than Connecticut's. But every state in the country claims to be following the science, so who knows.

Reaction Score
So about that shot I was supposed to get by late January...
It may be the reason the Governor replaced the previous Public Health Director.
Having the states devise the system for distribution to fit their particular needs should be the best way to provide the vaccine to residents of vastly differing states.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Probably because "the interesting bunch" likes to be able to meet their financial obligations and they don't have the luxury of "working from home".
I have nothing wrong with that but why the clamor for the vaccine if it’s so safe to dine in at restaurants? Also if they were laid off they were probably making more through unemployment and the extra benefits. Also lots of other retail were constantly looking for help

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Yep. The whole "order takeout to stop the spread" is nonsense. If you stay home but order from restaurants, Home Depot, Amazon, and the grocery store, you've done a good job of protecting yourself. But all those folks in the supply chain, warehouses, meat packers, farmers, kitchen workers, transportation, the power grid, etc., they don't have that luxury. That is where spread has been happening since the beginning. It is why we have utterly failed to stop it.

Those people should be in group 1A. But they aren't politically well represented. So people at less risk are going first.

Reaction Score
Umm, have you been to Arkansas? They don't give a crap. The state is like a third world country.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Just spoke with one of my coworkers, he had Pfizer dose two - 102 fever, swollen lymph nodes and he still sounds a little crummy 4 days later. He was talking up blood type. Could be on to something- I’m o+ and was fine. I’m curious if that could be a link - there were suggestions of higher susceptibility to covid early on based on blood type but nothing conclusive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom