OT: - Coronavirus Good News maybe | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Coronavirus Good News maybe

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The wife just told me early tests show the pfizer vaccine may be effective against the SA variant. That's good news.

UK B.1.1.7 variant as well per their reports. That was expected.

Reaction Score
Wife is getting second shot on Tuesday and I’m part of plan 1B and we haven’t been given a date just yet. We should hear more today or next week.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think I'll be somewhere in a 1C or 2A type grouping. I'm expecting some time in February to be able to sign up for the vaccination.

I'm not personally "worried" but I am watching with interest at low levels of vaccinations by staff at working home, first responders such as EMTs and firemen, and medical staff at hospitals and health care facilities.

These are the people who have had the most exposure, including dealing with asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic and they're not rushing to get the vaccination right away. And from what I've read anecdotally, this is across the country, not just specific regions.

I'm glad to see adverse affects have been few and far between for those who have been vaccinated.

Reaction Score
A good summary here of COVID and its impact on the body. Scary stuff:

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I think I'll be somewhere in a 1C or 2A type grouping. I'm expecting some time in February to be able to sign up for the vaccination.

I'm not personally "worried" but I am watching with interest at low levels of vaccinations by staff at working home, first responders such as EMTs and firemen, and medical staff at hospitals and health care facilities.

These are the people who have had the most exposure, including dealing with asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic and they're not rushing to get the vaccination right away. And from what I've read anecdotally, this is across the country, not just specific regions.

I'm glad to see adverse affects have been few and far between for those who have been vaccinated.
Vaccines were being administered nonstop at the hospital I was at this morning. They looked like they can do 10-20 an hour per person and they had three people vaccinating. Seemed like a pretty strong turnout, but anecdotal of course.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So my SO had her 2nd shot yesterday and has her card. I'm thinking if I can get on the list soon we can get some great travel deals!

huskypantz

Reaction Score
So my SO had her 2nd shot yesterday and has her card. I'm thinking if I can get on the list soon we can get some great travel deals!
I have a trip booked for April school vacation. Looks like that’s a no go ( I took a chance back in August). The good news is I can postpone but have a year to take it once I do. The bad news is that there is no plan on vaccinating elementary school kids yet so rebooking for the summer is a crapshoot.

Reaction Score
Covid is a real pain!!!! I got it from my wife who got it from a co-worker the week before Xmas. I'm still testing positive 25 days after first symptoms while my wife is negative and she had the bad migraines(still has them), coughing and breathing issues. While I had the mild symptoms(fatigue, dizziness, minor headache, chills, loss of taste and smell) and still have it. I can tell it is still around as I still have the weird smell(not strong anymore) in my nose even though my smelling is around 80% back now. Covid takes a lot out of you for sure, but I feel pretty good now even though I have gotten 3 more positives after my quarantine period. Kind of a pain even though technically I shouldn't be shedding anymore. I know this thing can remain in my body for 90 days. Ugh! I have returned to doing things like normal but still don't want to be around my 77 year old mother (who got covid in August and tested negative in 10-15 days like my wife) or get a haircut until I test negative.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just got the Moderna shot, first dose, completely psyched and surprised it was available. Other than soreness at the injection site, no side effects thus far. I thought I might have had a fever, but it was likely from sweating while wearing a snow hat during a run :)
Just got the Moderna shot yesterday afternoon and while the side effects haven't kept me from work, it was definitely a slog to get through the day. Classic flu-like symptoms (aches, brain fog, chills, low-grade fever, fatigue, nausea).

No matter what, one or two days of side effects are well worth it. Overall, everyone involved has been super helpful and kind and we all owe so much to them. Very thankful.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I don't know I have lost something off my fastball. I brought my wife home from the hospital,(hip replacement surgery) and jumped on our county website at 3:10. We were told 2 days ago we got 10K more shots and the website was going live again for registration at 3pm. I got so excited a grabbed my computer yelled at my wife to grab hers and started to sign up for the vaccine. What I forgot is my wife is on a walker in the middle of the room still groggy from surgery looking at me like I had three heads. This is an mess, and we are a third world banana republic. I need to take a step away from this and maybe comeback in better form around the time James returns!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Just got the Moderna shot yesterday afternoon and while the side effects haven't kept me from work, it was definitely a slog to get through the day. Classic flu-like symptoms (aches, brain fog, chills, low-grade fever, fatigue, nausea).

No matter what, one or two days of side effects are well worth it. Overall, everyone involved has been super helpful and kind and we all owe so much to them. Very thankful.

The 2nd shot is a doozy. Plan on a day off, if possible.

Reaction Score
I've been told that several places are recommending you don't get the 2nd shot as soon as you can. I.E. if shot 2 is supposed to be no less that 18 days after the first do not get it on the 18th or 19th day. Give it a few more.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
The 2nd shot is a doozy. Plan on a day off, if possible.
I had my second shot yesterday. The nurses administering were cautioning about the second shot symptoms. I had a coworker take a sick day from it, informally seems like half are having symptoms but they clear fairly quickly. I’m 30+ hours in and I only had soreness at the injection site. I’m not out of the woods but honestly I’m pretty pumped to be done.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I had my second shot yesterday. The nurses administering were cautioning about the second shot symptoms. I had a coworker take a sick day from it, informally seems like half are having symptoms but they clear fairly quickly. I’m 30+ hours in and I only had soreness at the injection site. I’m not out of the woods but honestly I’m pretty pumped to be done.
Fantastic! There must be a pretty big sense of relief, thinking that you can now clearly see the light at the end of the tunnel. And a pending return to something like normalcy. I can't wait. But probably have 6+ months to go before my vax number comes up. Feels like sitting at the Bridgeport DMV.

Reaction Score
That's what makes this thing so weird to me...It's crazy contagious...unless it's not
It is contagious in the sense that many people exposed to those who have contracted the disease whether in the home or at indoor dining in a restaurant or at indoor family gatherings, have caught Covid-19. But, many in the same circumstances, have not.

Why is it that not everybody who is exposed, contracts the disease, yet others do. Even in NYC with the mass weddings and funerals, only a relatively small percentage seemed to have contracted it. Who knows why? Maybe the exposed but non stricken, have stronger immune systems that warded off the infection. If so, whatever hormones or genetic markers they have, should be found to see if those indicators might have thwarted the infection.

Yes, it would be interesting if a scientific study could establish why this is the case. Again, maybe it is something about body chemistry that confers resistance to those who don't catch it. Even with the highly contagious Spanish Flu , not everybody caught it and those who did, did not always die.

Let's hope answers are found, and in the meantime, that vaccinations will be available to all, very soon.

Reaction Score
I was lucky to get the Covid vaccine, I work for a health care agency in Vermont and it was offered just after Christmas to folks interested but limited in number on a first/come, first/serve basis. Of course I said yes, first shot I didn’t even feel the needle, all the way home kept wondering if they missed. Next day, arm a little sore but that was it. Just had 2nd shot Monday, and I did get chills and body aches for couple of days. They record the vaccinations on a card you keep for records.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
It is contagious in the sense that many people exposed to those who have contracted the disease whether in the home or at indoor dining in a restaurant or at indoor family gatherings, have caught Covid-19. But, many in the same circumstances, have not.

Why is it that not everybody who is exposed, contracts the disease, yet others do. Even in NYC with the mass weddings and funerals, only a relatively small percentage seemed to have contracted it. Who knows why? Maybe the exposed but non stricken, have stronger immune systems that warded off the infection. If so, whatever hormones or genetic markers they have, should be found to see if those indicators might have thwarted the infection.

Yes, it would be interesting if a scientific study could establish why this is the case. Again, maybe it is something about body chemistry that confers resistance to those who don't catch it. Even with the highly contagious Spanish Flu , not everybody caught it and those who did, did not always die.

Let's hope answers are found, and in the meantime, that vaccinations will be available to all, very soon.
There have been suggestions about being o positive and having normal vit d levels but it definitely seems that viral load has been a very significant factor.

It is amazing to see how the flu is a complete nothingburger with the precautions we’ve put in place yet coronavirus still spreads like crazy. That shows you how much more infectious it is.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer