OT: - Coronavirus Good News maybe | The Boneyard

OT: Coronavirus Good News maybe

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My partner works in healthcare and received the first shot the week it came out. One of her associates got the shot on the same day and last week both her husband and toddler tested positive while she has remained negative. Hubby is still very sick. Anecdotal but still...

Reaction Score
My partner works in healthcare and received the first shot the week it came out. One of her associates got the shot on the same day and last week both her husband and toddler tested positive while she has remained negative. Hubby is still very sick. Anecdotal but still...
Potentially good news, but i have anecdotal info of 3 households where one member had Covid but other family members did not...including spouses and kids...and no quarantining was done until after much contact happened

Reaction Score
Who knows if it means anything. A co-worker's daughter had COVID-19 back in March and nobody else in their house got it even though they didn't take any precautions to stop the spread because back then there wasn't as much information about the virus. They all got tested for the antibodies about 6 months ago and none of them had it except the daughter so they think nobody else got COVID-19.

Reaction Score
Potentially good news, but i have anecdotal info of 3 households where one member had Covid but other family members did not...including spouses and kids...and no quarantining was done until after much contact happened
Funny we were both typing similar posts at the same time.

Reaction Score
Who knows if it means anything. A co-worker's daughter had COVID-19 back in March and nobody else in their house got it even though they didn't take any precautions to stop the spread because back then there wasn't as much information about the virus. They all got tested for the antibodies about 6 months ago and none of them had it except the daughter so they think nobody else got COVID-19.
That's what makes this thing so weird to me...It's crazy contagious...unless it's not

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yep, can't draw conclusions from small anecdotal sample sizes/experiences.

This is what's most important to look atwrt vaccine effectiveness (from the actual placebo-controlled trials of the 2 mRNA vaccines). I can tell you that these are the 2 most beautiful graphs I have seen in 20+ years as an infectious diseases healthcare professional. I have no reason to believe that the efficacy won't be very similar "in real life".

Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine:

Efficacy--NEJM Graph.png

Moderna Vaccine:

Moderna--Efficacy.jpg

Reaction Score
More anecdotes. 5 of my family members got Covid. Mom and Dad both got it in mid 70s neither is obese or have diabetes and In relatively good health. One was hospitalized for 5 days (came thru fine) and the other would not have even known they had it save for the test. Of the other 3, two of them were tired and the last nothing. The docs didn’t have them on any meds but just told them to rest and quarantine. They are all fine now and back to normal. So weird!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yep, can't draw conclusions from small anecdotal sample sizes/experiences.

This is what's most important to look atwrt vaccine effectiveness (from the actual placebo-controlled trials of the 2 mRNA vaccines). I can tell you that these are the 2 most beautiful graphs I have seen in 20+ years as an infectious diseases healthcare professional. I have no reason to believe that the efficacy won't be very similar "in real life".

Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine:

View attachment 63338

Moderna Vaccine:

View attachment 63339
Interesting that the placebo curves differ.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Generally "good" news, but bittersweet at best for your partner and family. Hopeful her husband pulls through soon.

At any rate, thanks for sharing.

Reaction Score
Interesting that the placebo curves differ.

Slightly numerically, but not really to any real great significance. Likely due to regional effects in prevalence of the virus at the times of the studies. Both vaccines provided the same ~95% preventative effects relative to placebo.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Slightly numerically, but not really to any real significance. Both vaccines provided the same ~95% preventative effects.
From the placebo? Because that would be interesting too.

Reaction Score
From the placebo? Because that would be interesting too.
Edited it to clarify but after your reply.

The difference in infection development in placebo recipients between the two studied (~2.2% vs. ~3.5%) was likely related to variation in prevalence of the virus in the communities where people were enrolled, as well other risk-factor things such as: % of people that were from higher-risk communities, % with comorbidities, etc.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Also have seen stories from the west coast where people were given first dose and caught the corona before they were given dose #2.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Also have seen stories from the west coast where people were given first dose and caught the corona before they were given dose #2.

I read that immunity starts to build after first dose and then 1-2 weeks after second dose it reaches max protection. So that would a total of 5-6 weeks after first dose.

Reaction Score
The vaccines were tested with good results. Remember 95% effective is great. But it's still a 5% chance you get the virus. It is the millions of vaccines that will ultimately make a difference. No one should be surprised that some vaccinated folks will catch the virus.

As of today, 93,000 Connecticut residents have received the vaccine. That's 2.5% of the population of the state. It's a dent but there is a way to go.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Getting poked Tuesday. Don't know which med though.

Good stuff. Safety and Efficacy are essentially similar so it doesn't matter which one you 're able to get IMHO.

I'm involved in vaccine rollout here in CT so feel free to PM me with any questions you may have. Same goes for any other BY'ers who have questions.

Take care!

Reaction Score
I read that immunity starts to build after first dose and then 1-2 weeks after second dose it reaches max protection. So that would a total of 5-6 weeks after first dose.

Yep, in the graphs I posted, curves start to diverge around day #10. In the Moderna trial, from the table below the graph, only 2 confirmed cases in the vaccine group from 14 days after 1st dose until admin of the 2nd dose (vs 35 in the placebo group).

These results are what have generated a lot of debate about whether to focus on getting 1st doses into everyone ASAP vs. assuring 2 doses available for everyone. UK has made the controversial decision to delay 2nd doses in their vaccine rollout because of this. I think this is a potentially bad decision not based on the available trial evidence but I can understand the thought behind doing it.

Reaction Score
There have been strange stories about a person getting it but their spouse never getting it despite sleeping in the same bed.

I have a childhood friend whose extended family got hit hard over Christmas break. Two brothers-in-law and one-sister-law (all blood relatives) got it but none of their spouses did.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's what makes this thing so weird to me...It's crazy contagious...unless it's not

I have similar anecdotes. The results on the cruise ship were similar. It has been this way all along. It doesn't spread easily through casual contact, even in a household. It depends more on factors like how big the house is. How well it is ventilated. How close the contact is and for how long a period of time. We've known this for months now. That's why I wish we were being more sensible about the restrictions.

They have done such a crappy job of explaining this disease. I don't recall the CDC ever explaining that a family of 4 in a small two bedroom apartment is far more at risk for household spread than a family of 4 in a 2000+ sq foot single family home. The lack of nuance has been awful.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
There have been strange stories about a person getting it but their spouse never getting it despite sleeping in the same bed.

I have a childhood friend whose extended family got hit hard over Christmas break. Two brothers-in-law and one-sister-law (all blood relatives) got it but none of their spouses did.

Yep, there are cases like that. My cousin's husband had it but my cousin and her daughter did not catch it from him even though they were riding in the car for several hours and he was coughing throughout. That was before they knew he was positive - then quarantined.

But majority of cases I know more than 1 person in the family caught it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yep, there are cases like that. My cousin's husband had it but my cousin and her daughter did not catch it from him even though they were riding in the car for several hours and he was coughing throughout. That was before they knew he was positive - then quarantined.

But majority of cases I know more than 1 person in the family caught it.

Yeah, my brother in law slept in the same bed with his wife before they knew she was positive. Didn't get it. None of their 4 kids got it.

It is worth noting that they call this effect the secondary attack rate. The prior version of the virus had a secondary attack rate of about 10%. The new B.1.1.7 has a secondary attack rate of 15%.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom