OT: - Coronavirus Good News maybe | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Coronavirus Good News maybe

Reaction Score
Also have seen stories from the west coast where people were given first dose and caught the corona before they were given dose #2.
That is because the first dose makes you about 60% immune to the virus while the 2nd shot pushes it to as high as 95% which means you could still get it but very unlikely and supposedly less severe.

Reaction Score
Good stuff. Safety and Efficacy are essentially similar so it doesn't matter which one you 're able to get IMHO.

I'm involved in vaccine rollout here in CT so feel free to PM me with any questions you may have. Same goes for any other BY'ers who have questions.

Take care!
I tried to go to Chat, but it appears it is not working so I will do this on the BY forum. I am over 70 but not 75, and live in CT so when is it likely the vaccine will be available for my age group?

Thank you for your posting.

This is a great thing that we have all kinds of experts on the BY.

Reaction Score
I tried to go to Chat, but it appears it is not working so I will do this on the BY forum. I am over 70 but not 75, and live in CT so when is it likely the vaccine will be available for my age group?

I just got your PM and answered. Let me know if you didnt get it!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That is because the first dose makes you about 60% immune to the virus while the 2nd shot pushes it to as high as 95% which means you could still get it but very unlikely and supposedly less severe.

I get it.

I was referring to the OP who was suggesting a person getting just the first dose may have been able to avoid catching the 'rona.

Just wanted to put out for equal time there are also cases of people catching 'rona after the first shot.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My wife is a nurse and will have her second shot next week. I’m a teacher and eagerly waiting the news of when I can get mine. Rumor is late January.
Weird. I'll be working on my second one in a couple of hours.

1610057678151.png

Reaction Score
I hate it in late March, my wife never caught it and we shared a kitchen, bathroom, etc for 4 days before I realized I just wasn’t “worn down” and got sick. Both had antibody tests in early May (one month post illness recovery for me) and I had them and she didn’t.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Yep, can't draw conclusions from small anecdotal sample sizes/experiences.

This is what's most important to look atwrt vaccine effectiveness (from the actual placebo-controlled trials of the 2 mRNA vaccines). I can tell you that these are the 2 most beautiful graphs I have seen in 20+ years as an infectious diseases healthcare professional. I have no reason to believe that the efficacy won't be very similar "in real life".

Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine:

View attachment 63338

Moderna Vaccine:

View attachment 63339
I agree. As a toxicologist for Merck I worked on a number of their vaccines over the years and the efficacy (and safety) for both Pfizer and Moderna is on the order of some of our best vaccines in the world. I am a little worried about the AstraZeneca vaccine though as they need to look into that odd dose response they saw. Its being promoted heavily because of reduced storage requirements but efficacy was only 70% at full double dose, but higher when the first dose was a half dose? We should see J&Js single dose vaccine data by the end of January and possible an EUA shortly thereafter. Folks if you are wondering whether to take the vaccine or not - please take it. While the development and approval of a vaccine like this in under a year is the equivalent of UCONN beating Duke in the NCAA Finals, I am confident that it is safe and effective. I am 69 and waiting patiently for my shot down here in FL

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
When you consider that the 2019-2020 flu shot was about 45% effective, those are unbelievably solid numbers.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I agree. As a toxicologist for Merck I worked on a number of their vaccines over the years and the efficacy (and safety) for both Pfizer and Moderna is on the order of some of our best vaccines in the world. I am a little worried about the AstraZeneca vaccine though as they need to look into that odd dose response they saw. Its being promoted heavily because of reduced storage requirements but efficacy was only 70% at full double dose, but higher when the first dose was a half dose? We should see J&Js single dose vaccine data by the end of January and possible an EUA shortly thereafter. Folks if you are wondering whether to take the vaccine or not - please take it. While the development and approval of a vaccine like this in under a year is the equivalent of UCONN beating Duke in the NCAA Finals, I am confident that it is safe and effective. I am 69 and waiting patiently for my shot down here in FL

Picking d o o k against UConn in '99 was such a suckers bet.

I said it then and I'll say it now. UConn wins that game 7 out of 10 times. Maybe 8 out of ten.

Reaction Score
When you consider that the 2019-2020 flu shot was about 45% effective, those are unbelievably solid numbers.
Yeah its pretty unbelievable. I was excited when i heard 65-70% but 95% is just amazing. If those numbers hold and 70% of the world gets vaccinated we could see covid go the way of the dodo. Lets hope this is the case.

Reaction Score
My partner works in healthcare and received the first shot the week it came out. One of her associates got the shot on the same day and last week both her husband and toddler tested positive while she has remained negative. Hubby is still very sick. Anecdotal but still...
Great, just don't read about the South African variant.

For those spouses not contracting it, are they O+?

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score

My wife tested positive on Sunday and is O- type. Both my kids tested positive as well, they were the known exposure, yet I the one with A+ blood has stayed negative.

Reaction Score
Just got the Moderna shot, first dose, completely psyched and surprised it was available. Other than soreness at the injection site, no side effects thus far. I thought I might have had a fever, but it was likely from sweating while wearing a snow hat during a run :)

Reaction Score
Personally, I support giving as many people the first dose as possible to give as many people some level of immunity while production ramps up and until the J&J vaccine comes on-line.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Reaction Score

The wife just told me early tests show the pfizer vaccine may be effective against the SA variant. That's good news.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Chief is a graph/Big Data guy. Very impressive. The fly in the ointment may be the South African strain, hopefully the vaccines will work well with that too but the crowns are significantly different. In the meantime, support your immune system!

C

Chief00

I have a friend connected with John Hopkins and the Gates Foundation. They are excited about the Johnson and Johnson vaccine. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines focused on the crown RNA messenger. It’s probably good to have vaccines with different approaches, if mutations over time fundamentally change an aspect of the virus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom