OT: - College in the COVID era | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: College in the COVID era

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If her semester abroad gets delayed, might not be the worst thing. Vaccine rollout is starting to pick up in Europe, its better in the UK than Ireland who was heavily locked down until a few weeks ago. Wouldnt be as great of a semester abroad if there were restrictions on international travel to other countries or even being able to leave her county (if she was in the Irish program).

It is expected to be on for next fall. Not every site they normally have, but Dublin, London, Rome and Greece. The N.U.IN kids are asked to make videos and we watched some on YouTube yesterday. Ironically, one was from Dublin during the pandemic. He was pretty funny. He got Covid, and so did about a dozen other kids. They moved them to a common location (which he said was nicer) and they were all thrilled because they could hang out together without distancing. They all seemed to have fun anyway.

Reaction Score
It is expected to be on for next fall. Not every site they normally have, but Dublin, London, Rome and Greece. The N.U.IN kids are asked to make videos and we watched some on YouTube yesterday. Ironically, one was from Dublin during the pandemic. He was pretty funny. He got Covid, and so did about a dozen other kids. They moved them to a common location (which he said was nicer) and they were all thrilled because they could hang out together without distancing. They all seemed to have fun anyway.

That's what really matters. Although as the parents if you are footing the bill, you'd probably rather her be able to take full advantage of the experience. Seems like the knock on UConn these days was having to pay full tuition to basically go to remote school.

Reaction Score
Boston is a terrific college town and a good size for an 18-year-old to be introduced to city life. It's got a ton of cultural stuff, but isn't intimidatingly large like NYC or even Chicago.

I can't speak to Northeastern academically, but it sounds like she has a good idea of what she wants to get out of it, which is often most of the battle.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

do NU students still get into MFA for free with their id?

even an uncultured jock like myself loved going there

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
do NU students still get into MFA for free with their id?

even an uncultured jock like myself loved going there

Yes, they still do. Isabella Stuart Gardner museum is $5 for NU students. She's been to MFA several times and likes it. Quite a bit more to do around campus than I had in Storrs in 1984. We could get grinders at Teds, hit the Dairy Bar or walk to Store 24/Wawa. There was a record store over there somewhere. That's about it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yes, they still do. Isabella Stuart Gardner museum is $5 for NU students. She's been to MFA several times and likes it. Quite a bit more to do around campus than I had in Storrs in 1984. We could get grinders at Teds, hit the Dairy Bar or walk to Store 24/Wawa. There was a record store over there somewhere. That's about it.
Hey, don't forget the movie theater!

Reaction Score
It's missing half it's paintings though.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hey, don't forget the movie theater!
I did forget that gem. Saw a few movies there.

Dog Lol GIF

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Bumping this old thread for a slightly different topic. As realignment kicks off again, we see the SEC raiding. Well I think the SEC and southern ACC schools are raiding our high schools as well. Logged on to the class of 2021 Instagram account for my daughter's HS. Catholic school in South Eastern Massachusetts. Here's where they are going (it doesn't list every kid) for public universities. With several kids in MA and RI, those should have in-state advantages. Many went to private schools, and most of those are in the region, not all. But the southern public schools are doing very well.

Clemson: 6
Alabama: 3
Auburn: 2
Tennessee: 3
South Carolina: 3
Ole Miss: 1
GT: 1
WV: 1

UConn: 3
UMass: 5
URI: 3
UNH: 5
Penn State: 1
UVM: 2
Temple: 1

I've heard of trends like this elsewhere in the area. I know my local public HS has a lot of kids heading south as well. Heard from friends in Fairfield Cty. that the trend in their HS is towards the Big 10 schools.

Reaction Score
Bumping this old thread for a slightly different topic. As realignment kicks off again, we see the SEC raiding. Well I think the SEC and southern ACC schools are raiding our high schools as well. Logged on to the class of 2021 Instagram account for my daughter's HS. Catholic school in South Eastern Massachusetts. Here's where they are going (it doesn't list every kid) for public universities. With several kids in MA and RI, those should have in-state advantages. Many went to private schools, and most of those are in the region, not all. But the southern public schools are doing very well.

I've heard of trends like this elsewhere in the area. I know my local public HS has a lot of kids heading south as well. Heard from friends in Fairfield Cty. that the trend in their HS is towards the Big 10 schools.

A private hs in mass isn't really a great cross section of America. Kids are going to head across the country way more. I teach public hs and the vast, vast majority of kids stay in New England. Our valedictorian went to UConn the last 3 years. Didn't you say tons of kids at your daughters school wanted BC?

Honest question: why would anyone go pay out-of-state tuition at Clemson? (Or UConn for that matter). Those southern schools are all DIRT cheap in-state but is 40k a year worth it for a school ranked in the 60s or 70s? They don't have much going on other than football... my fiance interviewed for a job on the faculty at Clemson this spring. It was cool but I wouldn't say the area is really even better than Storrs when I saw it those couple days.

My fiance went to UNC for 8k a year undergrad and 24k a year law school in state--stupid cheap. Southern state schools might be the only place person could actually work their way through college like the old days. The out of state might even be worth it there because of its ranking.

But Clemson? Alabama? Ole Miss? Auburn? These aren't even good schools. Clemson has like 40k out of state tuition, at least some of the others are cheaper but I'm guessing private schools kids are mostly not paying anyways.

End rant. Good info regardless... thanks for sharing.

Reaction Score
A private hs in mass isn't really a great cross section of America. Kids are going to head across the country way more. I teach public hs and the vast, vast majority of kids stay in New England. Our valedictorian went to UConn the last 3 years. Didn't you say tons of kids at your daughters school wanted BC?

Honest question: why would anyone go pay out-of-state tuition at Clemson? (Or UConn for that matter). Those southern schools are all DIRT cheap in-state but is 40k a year worth it for a school ranked in the 60s or 70s? They don't have much going on other than football... my fiance interviewed for a job on the faculty at Clemson this spring. It was cool but I wouldn't say the area is really even better than Storrs when I saw it those couple days.

My fiance went to UNC for 8k a year undergrad and 24k a year law school in state--stupid cheap. Southern state schools might be the only place person could actually work their way through college like the old days. The out of state might even be worth it there because of its ranking.

But Clemson? Alabama? Ole Miss? Auburn? These aren't even good schools. Clemson has like 40k out of state tuition, at least some of the others are cheaper but I'm guessing private schools kids are mostly not paying anyways.

End rant. Good info regardless... thanks foI assume those schools are giving scholarships to a bunch of these kids. Also, you have to understand, if you’re ok with leaving the northeast and living in a city like Atlanta, Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans etc. those degrees are going to go a long way and you’ll end up on an equal or better career path as you would if you’d end up in Boston or New York after going to an Uber expansive, not-fun private school. Not saying the things you’re saying are necessarily wrong, just saying something more along the lines of “to each their own”

I assume those schools are giving scholarships to a bunch of these kids. Also, you have to understand, if you’re ok with leaving the northeast and living in a city like Atlanta, Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans etc. those degrees are going to go a long way and you’ll end up on an equal or better career path as you would if you’d end up in Boston or New York after going to an Uber expansive, not-fun private school.

Not saying the things you’re saying are necessarily wrong, just saying something more along the lines of “to each their own”

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

You might want to check the rankings again. Clemson tops every New England public except UConn and UMass. Plus I have no doubt that they are throwing merit aid to lure kids from the northeast. In state at our local public flagships is really quite high, and with a little merit, those big publics in the south become price competitive. UVM is crazy expensive out of state without Merit. They offered us over $20k a year. Most public HS will probably not have kids with quite the same academic profiles (some will). Ole Miss is ranked #160 overall, but is $25k out of state. Auburn #97. Clemson #74. I found it informative that the higher rated schools, UNC, UVA, UGA, Florida...had none of these kids. Less of a need to recruit them and provide merit. As for not a "good" school, every flagship state U is "good". Most kids go to college at the Central/Southern level schools or community college.

I think they sent two to BC, but that's probably as many as BC was going to take no matter what. One BU. Two Northeastern (including mine). Villanova was 3, but one was athletic scholarship (also true of UConn...baseball player).

Reaction Score
I assume those schools are giving scholarships to a bunch of these kids. Also, you have to understand, if you’re ok with leaving the northeast and living in a city like Atlanta, Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans etc. those degrees are going to go a long way and you’ll end up on an equal or better career path as you would if you’d end up in Boston or New York after going to an Uber expansive, not-fun private school.

Not saying the things you’re saying are necessarily wrong, just saying something more along the lines of “to each their own”
Agree, but what happens if the kid decides they don’t want to stay in Alabama or surrounds after college? Going to Vandy or G tech makes sense IMO. As they are good schools well respected around the country. going to Alabama as an out of state state kid???

Reaction Score
Agree, but what happens if the kid decides they don’t want to stay in Alabama or surrounds after college? Going to Vandy or G tech makes sense IMO. As they are good schools well respected around the country. going to Alabama as an out of state state kid???

That’s something you have to think about! It’s kinda crazy that 17 year olds are making these truly massive life decision. FWIW Bama is majority out of state now

Reaction Score
Some percentage of people really like southern (non-city) culture.

Reaction Score
That’s something you have to think about! It’s kinda crazy that 17 year olds are making these truly massive life decision. FWIW Bama is majority out of state now
As someone that had spent most of the their career in the northeast/mid atlantic and done a fair amount of hiring, unless the Bama resume has some unique skill set or credential, doubtful they are even getting past step 1, especially starting out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

This is another example of what happens when we have a permanent subsidy to the southeast. Federal tax dollars going into southern state coffers as block grants and are repurposed as lower taxes, subsidies to corporations and reduced cost of tuition at the state schools in the south. Connecticut taxpayers are paying for Connecticut kids to go to Clemson.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Well Alabama has the same "ranking" as UNH. Would you feel the same about UNH? I'm pretty sure that if you try to get a job in say Florida or Atlanta, Bama would be viewed more highly. Their med school is excellent by the way. I think people in the northeast have an outdated and inaccurate view of how these schools are perceived. It's the same problem that has hurt UConn over the years, because it isn't full respected compared to private schools either.

The point of the thread is that they are recruiting, smartly recruiting. And they have a huge cost and state funding advantage.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I’m not against it. Do what makes u happy. My point was simply that if a kid wants to go elsewhere after graduation (west coast/ northeast/ Chicagoland) going to an SEC party school isn’t as useful as Vandy IMO.

How many kids can get in to Vandy? 3/4 of UConn's freshman class couldn't get in to Vandy. Come on.

Reaction Score
Well Alabama has the same "ranking" as UNH. Would you feel the same about UNH? I'm pretty sure that if you try to get a job in say Florida or Atlanta, Bama would be viewed more highly. Their med school is excellent by the way. I think people in the northeast have an outdated and inaccurate view of how these schools are perceived. It's the same problem that has hurt UConn over the years, because it isn't full respected compared to private schools either.

The point of the thread is that they are recruiting, smartly recruiting. And they have a huge cost and state funding advantage.

Totally agree. But just a nitpick, Bama doesn’t have the med school; UAB does ;)

Reaction Score

Outside of Vandy; Florida, Georgia, and Texas A&M are all more than equal to, if not better, academically and “opening career doors”-wise than the vast majority of northeastern schools, UConn included

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

No. Some of the feeders to rankings, like % of class in the Top 10%, are hard to compare between an Alabama and UConn because Connecticut K-12 schools are so much better than Alabama's that finishing in the Top 10% of a high school in Alabama is kind of meaningless. Employers know this, and as a result, the southern state schools do not travel well post college.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Some percentage of people really like southern (non-city) culture.
I am continually amazed at the number of SEC/UT flags flying in neighborhoods around here in the south burbs of Pittsburgh. My next door neighbor's kids both went SEC, one to UK the other to SC. The UK kid graduated 3 years ago, is marrying some kid from stupdendous wealth and is on the management team for Steelers social media after having interned with NBA social media as well as on UK sports social media.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom