OT: - College in the COVID era | The Boneyard

OT: College in the COVID era

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sorry to bump this. Since many of you live or work in metro NYC, what are your thoughts on Fordham? As someone who dislikes NYC immensely and who has never stepped foot in the Bronx, I have misgivings. But my daughter had it high on her list and got in. So it’s a real possibility. We haven’t visited campus yet. Curious about how it is perceived, the location, safety etc.

For anybody curious how this process has played out since we discussed it here. She applied to 12 schools. Has heard from 6, 5 acceptances and one acceptance to a specific program (NUin at Northeastern, where you start abroad for a semester). I think these schools are concerned about declining enrollment. At this point I regret not pushing her to apply to Georgetown, although my wallet may be glad.

Reaction Score
Fordham, especially their business school, is rather good from what I've heard. USNews has them ranked tied for 66 nationally, one step down from UConn funnily enough. Though I've heard the area surrounding the campus is rather dangerous. One of the Barstool guys went there and was robbed at gun point

Reaction Score
Sorry to bump this. Since many of you live or work in metro NYC, what are your thoughts on Fordham? As someone who dislikes NYC immensely and who has never stepped foot in the Bronx, I have misgivings. But my daughter had it high on her list and got in. So it’s a real possibility. We haven’t visited campus yet. Curious about how it is perceived, the location, safety etc.

For anybody curious how this process has played out since we discussed it here. She applied to 12 schools. Has heard from 6, 5 acceptances and one acceptance to a specific program (NUin at Northeastern, where you start abroad for a semester). I think these schools are concerned about declining enrollment. At this point I regret not pushing her to apply to Georgetown, although my wallet may be glad.

One of my best friends went there for finance about ten years ago. Overall I think he loved it, you just have to be very careful in the surrounding area. He was robbed multiple times about to walk back into campus at night.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Fordham, especially their business school, is rather good from what I've heard. USNews has them ranked tied for 66 nationally, one step down from UConn funnily enough. Though I've heard the area surrounding the campus is rather dangerous. One of the Barstool guys went there and was robbed at gun point
One of my best friends went there for finance about ten years ago. Overall I think he loved it, you just have to be very careful in the surrounding area. He was robbed multiple times about to walk back into campus at night.

You guys are giving me really good vibes about sending my only child there. UVM is looking pretty good right now.

Reaction Score
You guys are giving me really good vibes about sending my only child there. UVM is looking pretty good right now.
Burlington is awesome. And great beer in the area.

One of my son's friends is a sophomore at Fordham. He says if you go out the front door of his dorm and walk that way it's safe. Go out the back door and walk that way and it's very dangerous. But I have no personal experience there.

If she's looking for a city vibe and a bit safer area then Northeastern would seem to fit the bill. I know someone who was admitted for a January start and went to Greece for the first semester. Didn't seem to negatively impact the rest of his 3.5 years. My older son was accepted there and it was in the mix until the end when he finally decided he would be much happier at a small LAC.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Burlington is awesome. And great beer in the area.

One of my son's friends is a sophomore at Fordham. He says if you go out the front door of his dorm and walk that way it's safe. Go out the back door and walk that way and it's very dangerous. But I have no personal experience there.

If she's looking for a city vibe and a bit safer area then Northeastern would seem to fit the bill. I know someone who was admitted for a January start and went to Greece for the first semester. Didn't seem to negatively impact the rest of his 3.5 years. My older son was accepted there and it was in the mix until the end when he finally decided he would be much happier at a small LAC.

I love northeastern’s campus.

It’s a legit campus within a city. Best of both worlds imo

Reaction Score

I looked at Fordham and liked it, that's 20+ years ago but I doubt much has changed. it seemed totally safe to me but so does every single college campus I've ever been to...

The way I remember it is you don't feel like you're in the city, it's a pretty and quiet campus with a large lawn in the middle and nice old buildings flanking it but right outside the gates is the bustling city. Really good Jesuit education, you got the Bronx Zoo, Arthur Avenue, and the Botanical Gardens right there and Manhattan a short train or shuttle ride away. If she likes cities and wants to be at a college in a city I don't think you can go wrong with Fordham.

Reaction Score
The obvious answer, of course, is that she should go to UConn
Without reading through all 13 pages of this thread again I believe HuskyHawk visited UConn with his daughter and she didn't like it. Did she even end up applying?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I love northeastern’s campus.

It’s a legit campus within a city. Best of both worlds imo
I did my masters at Northeastern. Campus is solid and great location. Ruggles can be a little sketchy and it’s in the city so students have to be cognizant of their surroundings.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I have a relative there right now. Fordham was almost an afterthought but once the offer came in became the school to beat and ending up going there.

Interestingly enough, Fall semester in person classes ended at Thanksgiving. Rest of fall was done from home and students went back to campus this weekend. A covid test result was required to get back in the dorms. I heard through family members that Fordham sent out an email saying the shcool has enough vaccines for all students, faculty and staff. I haven't been able to clarify if that means that have the vaccine on campus already of if they have a contract to get it delivered throughout the spring semester.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Without reading through all 13 pages of this thread again I believe HuskyHawk visited UConn with his daughter and she didn't like it. Did she even end up applying?

Nope. She wanted a more urban environment.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Have a sibling that is a Fordham grad from the early 90's. Finance degree. Had senior year tuition paid for by one of the legacy Big 6 accounting firms and then took a job with Price Waterhouse after graduating. I think the Fordham tuition was a good down payment to a successful career post college.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I looked at Fordham and liked it, that's 20+ years ago but I doubt much has changed. it seemed totally safe to me but so does every single college campus I've ever been to...

The way I remember it is you don't feel like you're in the city, it's a pretty and quiet campus with a large lawn in the middle and nice old buildings flanking it but right outside the gates is the bustling city. Really good Jesuit education, you got the Bronx Zoo, Arthur Avenue, and the Botanical Gardens right there and Manhattan a short train or shuttle ride away. If she likes cities and wants to be at a college in a city I don't think you can go wrong with Fordham.

Yeah. I’m largely concerned with her being raped or murdered. Another option you may know is Loyola of Chicago. I feel better about that location. DePaul as well I suppose. She wants an urban environment but has no street smarts and hasn’t lived in a city since we left South Boston when she was 6 months old.

Perhaps I’m exaggerating things. But I have one child so the risk concerns me.

Reaction Score
Yeah. I’m largely concerned with her being raped or murdered. Another option you may know is Loyola of Chicago. I feel better about that location. DePaul as well I suppose. She wants an urban environment but has no street smarts and hasn’t lived in a city since we left South Boston when she was 6 months old.

Unfortunately a woman has a much higher likelihood of being sexually assaulted on a college campus by a fellow student than she ever does by a city dweller with no link to the school.

I get the worry, I tell women they should carry pepper spray on them.

Reaction Score

I understand your concerns, but as a daughter who wasn't allowed to go to Northeastern for the reasons you cite above - rethink. I ended up at UConn - don't get me wrong great school, met my husband there but I was miserable for awhile as it wasn't what I wanted. All campuses can be dangerous esp for women- even UConn. Look at crime stats - the areas surrounding Loyola, Trinity and many other schools aren't much different then Fordham.

Reaction Score
Their MBA program is almost entirely at their Manhattan campus. The Ram van shuttles students to/from Manhattan.

Reaction Score

Boston University has an urban feel, but is in a lot safer area than Northeastern. If she chose not to live in a dorm, there are plenty of apartments nearby.

I lived there in the 1970's so it has been a long time, but as I remember it, the area gets better as you head towards Brookline particularly on Beacon Street. The public transport into the city is great with street cars or trolleys or whatever they call them now.

Not so sure of the Fenway or Kenmore Square area as to safety. This area is think is equidistant from BU and Northeastern. It has been a long time. My memory fails me a bit.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I understand your concerns, but as a daughter who wasn't allowed to go to Northeastern for the reasons you cite above - rethink. I ended up at UConn - don't get me wrong great school, met my husband there but I was miserable for awhile as it wasn't what I wanted. All campuses can be dangerous esp for women- even UConn. Look at crime stats - the areas surrounding Loyola, Trinity and many other schools aren't much different then Fordham.

I will look at the crime stats. We will visit and see what we think about it. She lives in a neighborhood where she can't walk to anything. She has no street smarts at all. She only applied to colleges in cities (counting Burlington as one) plus William & Mary. So she's not going to end up in Storrs or anyplace like it.

@superjohn I'd be surprised if pepper spray is legal in NY. In MA it requires a concealed carry permit. Do you have any thoughts on Depaul and Loyola Chicago? Crime Reports Don’t Reflect Violent Crime Near 6 Chicago Universities – NBC Chicago

Reaction Score
I will look at the crime stats. We will visit and see what we think about it. She lives in a neighborhood where she can't walk to anything. She has no street smarts at all. She only applied to colleges in cities (counting Burlington as one) plus William & Mary. So she's not going to end up in Storrs or anyplace like it.

@superjohn I'd be surprised if pepper spray is legal in NY. In MA it requires a concealed carry permit. Do you have any thoughts on Depaul and Loyola Chicago? Crime Reports Don’t Reflect Violent Crime Near 6 Chicago Universities – NBC Chicago
Googled safety at certain schools all brought me here. They give stats for on and off campus compared to mother universities. The only caveat being that reporting by universities varies widely - some much more forthcoming than others. Have a great-niece who will be starting the process in the fall.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Googled safety at certain schools all brought me here. They give stats for on and off campus compared to mother universities. The only caveat being that reporting by universities varies widely - some much more forthcoming than others. Have a great-niece who will be starting the process in the fall.

I found that too. Both schools among the highest in reported crimes (Fordham more than all but 8 schools). And yet the Chicago news article shows they aren't reporting most of what happens to students near campus.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Boston University has an urban feel, but is in a lot safer area than Northeastern. If she chose not to live in a dorm, there are plenty of apartments nearby.

I lived there in the 1970's so it has been a long time, but as I remember it, the area gets better as you head towards Brookline particularly on Beacon Street. The public transport into the city is great with street cars or trolleys or whatever they call them now.

Not so sure of the Fenway or Kenmore Square area as to safety. This area is think is equidistant from BU and Northeastern. It has been a long time. My memory fails me a bit.

Boston I know. NY, Philly, DC I don't know. Chicago I have limited familiarity. Of the Boston schools, BC area, then BU then Northeastern is more risky. The Kenmore Square area is better than it used to be. NU has built a ton of dorms in recent years. BU as well.

Reaction Score
Boston I know. NY, Philly, DC I don't know. Chicago I have limited familiarity. Of the Boston schools, BC area, then BU then Northeastern is more risky. The Kenmore Square area is better than it used to be. NU has built a ton of dorms in recent years. BU as well.
This may sound like an odd thing to do, but if you were to call the police department (at a non-emergency number) in any of the above cities and explain you are a concerned parent, the dispatcher or whoever answers, probably would give you the answer you are looking for.

My sister did the exact same thing, called the police department and asked, not about the safety of a college, but the safety of a neighborhood or really the street where my nephew thought about buying a place. He was a college graduate and got a job in the Boston area. He wound up buying in Brighton in a very safe neighborhood. When my sister asked the police department about places in Jamaica Plain and gave the addresses, she got honest answers from the dispatcher and his choice proved to be a good one.

Most colleges on campus, have decent security and even transport for students to return to where they are living. Fordham and USC have them. My niece went to Trinity and lived on campus. The surrounding area is terrible.

The most pertinent question if you call the police department, and in a larger city, they have precincts, it is best to call a precinct in the area your daughter would contemplate living or one you have seen advertised. They would know best. Again, the contemplated street address is the key.

To illustrate this, you can say West End of Hartford, which I think is a good area from my recollection. But, there can be streets that are not safe in that area. Best to identify the street if you call the police department for input.

Reaction Score

I know a lot about DC.

is she looking at a school there?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom